Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2009 1:38:23 PM EDT
A6433, requiring setting new regulations for buying bullets.

People buying bullets for any firearm would be required to fill out an application including their name, date of birth and address. They'd also be required to submit their firearm's caliber, make, model, manufacturer's name and serial number.

Copies of the information would be forwarded to all law enforcement agencies statewide, and failure to complete the application would be a misdemeanor.

A6252 and S2741, which would require all manufacturers to use an ammunition coding system on all handgun and assault weapon ammunition sold statewide, and classifying unlawful sale of uncoded ammunition as a misdemeanor.

Anybody possessing uncoded ammunition would be required to dispose of it by Jan. 1, 2010.

Opponents say ammunition manufacturers won't want to meet the expense of producing that kind of ammunition for New York, meaning bullets would become unavailable statewide, and people who re-load their own ammunition would likewise be banned from doing so.

The opponents say the coding system is unenforceable, draconian, and would be a useless waste of money, since criminals would ignore the requirements anyway. "Assault weapon" ammunition is likewise a common caliber in some deer and varmint rifles.

A801 and S1598, requiring the renewal of firearms licenses after five years, along with taking a safety course outside New York City.

That would include pistol permits, which are currently effective for life in most counties, unless revoked. Supporters say it would help keep firearms away from criminals.

Besides the second amendment issues, opponents say it would dramatically increase expenses for those already licensed, and create havoc at county clerk offices, which would need to re-process thousands of permits annually.

A1093 and S1715, requiring the creation and imposition of "restrictive commercial practices" and "stringent record keeping and reporting" to prevent gun sales to criminals.

That would include requiring dealers to hold liability insurance of at least $1 million; requiring employee training; prohibiting "straw" purchases by a customer who isn't the weapon's actual buyer; and imposing "additional license conditions."

People less than 18 years old would be banned from premises selling firearms, unless accompanied by a parent or guardian.

Many store owners and gun dealers believe this will again dramatically ramp up their costs, making it even more difficult to do business.

A1094 and S68 creating "safe storage" regulations, which would create offenses ranging from violations to felonies if a weapon wasn't stored safely.

The law would require firearms to be locked, with ammunition secured separately in a locked place.

— A3211, banning the sale, use or possession of .50 caliber or larger-caliber weapons. State police would be directed to start a program in which owners of such weapons would be reimbursed for the "fair market value" upon turning the firearms in.

Although the law specifically mentions .50-caliber Barrett sniper rifles –– such as those used by the military –– opponents maintain the law would also affect 12-gauge or 20-gauge shotguns with rifled bores, which account for most modern shotguns.

Check the Web at www.scopegc.com and click "GC News" for more information.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#1]
No thanks politicos, not interested in what you want me to do.

I will continue to fight on the political front - emails, letters, etc - yet when they chose to ignore me, I'll react in kind
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#2]
In all honesty I don't have much to lose, but I would hate to go down fighting for something I believe in only to be portrayed as a loser, scumbag, c** killer, piece of shit by the authorities and the media. Its not so much that I would care (I would be dead) but I would not want my family to have to deal with it.

I think the easiest thing to do is simply move to a better state.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#3]
They are plumb crazy and any of that crap passes, it needs to be litigated.  NOYB NY - blow me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't wait to leave this state for good.
Oklahoma here I come
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 2:39:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Your fucked. Go watch Solient Geen
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No thanks politicos, not interested in what you want me to do.

I will continue to fight on the political front - emails, letters, etc - yet when they chose to ignore me, I'll react in kind

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top