Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2001 10:01:57 AM EDT
Aguila makes some pretty interesting rimfire rounds. One of my favorites is the silent Colibri, which is a 20 grain bullet propelled only by the rimfire primer. There is no powder in the case. This puppy makes less noise than my pellet gun.

I had a Marlin bolt gun topped with a scope collecting a bit of dust. I sighted it in using the Colibris. The initial point of impact was about 6+ inches low at 15 yards compared to a normal .22 rimfire round. I have a fancy target hanging in a tree about 60 feet from my back deck -a soup can suspended from a string...The Marlin loaded with Colibris makes for fun offhand target practice with the added benefit of near total silence-except for the sound of the bullet completely penetrating the can. This round would be ideal for close range pest control where noise is not a good option.

If you haven't tried em, check em out!
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Be careful shooting at HARD wood, the bullets WILL come back to you!!!!!

BISHOP
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#3]
My gawd I am absolutley in Looooooove with the
SSS 60gr .22 LR round they put out.
Now that is a puncher.

Sorry. No 411 on the Colbri's, but I can say I like the company.
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#4]
We have been stocking SSS here for months now. One sweet .22LR round. But for those who have suppressors, test it without the can before shooting with your 500$ suppressor, would be kind of irritating to hear the bullet striking the suppressor.
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 6:16:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Ive been having fun with the Colibris since I first discovered them quite a while back. Unfortunately(in this case) all my .22s were autoloaders, so I actually went out and bought a rifle [i]just for the colibris[/i]!!!

I bought a Henry lever-action .22 from Wal-Mart for $186 or so. It holds 21 or 22 colibris, and it's quieter than any of my pellet guns! I've got a cheap BSA 42mm red dot sight on it, and the thing is a blast!

I've also used the SSS rounds with good results in my Ruger Mk1, and the super-sonic rounds work well in my 10/22s.
Aguila makes some cool stuff...
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 7:57:28 PM EDT
[#6]
now i want to get a bolt action 22
any way how much are those colibri's
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 6:30:40 AM EDT
[#7]
They run around $12 per brick of 500. Lots of near silent "bang" for the buck!
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 9:14:25 AM EDT
[#8]
The Colibris make a sound like they're ricocheting...more often than other ammo, probably due to the velocity and shape of projectile.
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 9:23:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I sighted in my .22 bolt action with for the Colibri.  Those things are so slow you can see them in flight through the scope.  I've noticed that after 10 yards or so, their flight pattern becomes pretty much random.  

That being the case, I want to get a .22 single action revolver for the Colibri, and buy some super Colibris that are chrono'd at about 700 fps instead of 300 like the regular colibris.  Anyone ever try those?
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Where can you get these things? are they Long Rifle cases? OR short? I have been shooting CB's with my 10/22, and manually cycling the bolt.They are pretty loud, though.

Thanks

-Jared
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Private Joker,

I have purchased all my Aguila ammo at gunshows or through internet sites.  I have not seen it at any local retail or gun stores.  The cases are the same length as Long Rifles (The SSS Sniper Subsonics use a .22 short case).  The Colibri's are very quiet about the same or even less than my Daisy Red Ryder.  I mainly use them in my Marlin 39A but have used them in the 10/22 as well.  Only downside, other than manual cycle, is the last round usually nose dives in the mag and does not feed.  The other 9 are no problem.

Sundog,

I have used these Colbri's in a PT22, Ruger MK II, and my Ciener 92FS conversion.  Again no problems with feeding - just need to manually cycle every time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top