Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/8/2009 10:41:24 AM EDT
Once again the politicians need to hear the crux of the issue loud & clear!!!

... And they need to hear it NOW!!!

Here is the essential list of "they":

President Barack H. Obama
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500

Senator Harry Reid
Senate Majority Leader
528 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510-2803
Phone: (202) 224-3542
Fax: (202) 224-7327

Senator Dick Durbin
Assistant Majority Leader
309 Hart Senate Bldg.
Washington, DC 20510
Phone: (202) 224-2152
Fax: (202) 228-0400

Senator Mitch McConnell
Senate Minority Leader
361A Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510-1702
Phone: (202) 224-2541
Fax: (202) 224-2499

Senator Jon Kyl
Assistant Minority Leader
730 Hart Senate Building
Washington, D.C. 20510
Phone: (202) 224-4521
Fax: (202) 224-2207

Representative Nancy Pelosi
Speaker of the House of Representatives  
235 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515-0508
Phone: (202) 225-4965
Fax: (202) 225-8259

Representative Steny H. Hoyer
House Majority Leader
1705 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515-2005
Phone: (202) 225-4131
Fax: (202) 225-4300

Representative John A. Boehner
House Minority Leader
1011 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515-3508
Phone: (202) 225-6205
Fax: (202) 225-0704

Representative Eric Cantor
House Minority Whip
329 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 225-2815
Fax: (202) 225-0011

In case you don't know who your personal Reps. & Senators are, or how to contact them...

Locate & Contact YOUR Senators & Reps. HERE

And...

Use a Free 30 Day Trial of Efax to tell these bastards NO to gun control!

This is what you tell them:

Honorable Senator/Congressman XXX

As a registered voter & concerned American, I am writing because I am appalled by the opportunistic push for more Federal gun control, and I want you to understand, in no uncertain terms, that further infringements on the right to keep & bear arms will simply not be tolerated.

Using the deplorable actions of certifiable madmen as justification to deprive law abiding citizens of their Second Amendment freedoms is not only morally repugnant, but it will carry with it the gravest of political consequences come election day... mark my words.

Americans of all political affiliations are waking up to the realization that they are ultimately responsible for their own safety & security, and they are arming themselves in record numbers. Thus, you embrace the concept of gun control at your own risk. Voters have long memories and November of 2010 is not that far away.

I, along with millions of Americans, intend to keep a close eye on how you deal with this issue in the upcoming months, so if you value your own political future, and that of your party, you will heed my advice... gun control is a losing issue!

Respectfully,

Honorable Senator/Congressperson XXX,

As a registered voter & politically active American, I strongly urge you to oppose any & all efforts to enact new Federal gun control measures.  

I could argue that most (if not all) Federal gun control legislation constitutes an unambiguous and unconstitutional infringement of our Second Amendment freedoms...but I won't at this time.

Instead I'll be more pragmatic and point out the following: The support & passage of any new gun control measures will very likely effect the balance of power in the U.S. House and Senate come the 2010 elections. In short, gun control is a losing issue!

For the sake of perspective, I will point out that the 1994 Federal "Assault Weapons" ban was originally passed in a Democrat-controlled Congress by a very slim margin and by a slightly larger margin in the Senate.

The result... In the 1994 national elections, three months after passage, the Democrats lost nine seats in the Senate and 54 seats in the House. There is no denying that gun control, specifically the "Assault Weapons" ban" was a very large part of why the Democrats lost the House for the first time in 50 years. Former President Bill Clinton once even estimated that voting for the ban cost 20+ Democrat Representatives their seats.

Senator/Congressperson XXX, I speak for many gun owning & non-gun owning Americans alike, when I say that how you & your colleagues handle this issue will deeply influence our actions in the voting booth come November of next year. You must understand that we will no longer tolerate the infringement of that which "...shall not be infringed."

Thus, I implore you to do everything within your power to ensure that any efforts to enact new Federal gun control measures will be rebuffed.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Dear Senator/Congressman XXX,

I want to make it abundantly clear that America’s gun owners expect you to respect & defend their Second Amendment freedoms in spite of the hysteria & hyperbole surrounding this issue. Any attempts to pass new Federal gun control legislation will be remembered none too fondly on election day, 2010.

Please understand that our frustration stems from years of incremental erosion to our God given and constitutionally acknowledged personal freedoms.  Any attempts to further weaken our right to keep & bear arms will be viewed as a rejection of our nation’s founding principals, and as a betrayal of the millions of American gun owners who work, raise families, pay taxes, and most importantly… vote!

Thus, I implore you to stand in opposition to any and all attempts to pass new restrictive gun control legislation. Your sworn oath to the Constitution and your obligation to this Republic’s law abiding citizens hang in the balance. And if that's not motivation enough, know this: Your support of gun control may cost you your next election.

Thank you for your time, and I would greatly appreciate a reply in order to learn your position on this very important issue.

Sincerely,

Dear Senator/Congressman XXXXX,

This letter is in reference to any legislation currently being introduced in the House/Senate that would further infringe on every American's constitutionally protected right to keep & bear arms. I demand that you OPPOSE any & all measures aimed at stripping away our freedoms in the name of "gun control."

I have decided that I am now a one-issue voter. I do this because I’m a law-abiding citizen who is sick and tired of having his rights stripped away by people that are ignorant on the subject. Those that take the time to study the issue of "gun control" know that when you restrict the right to self-defense from lawful citizens, crime actually increases in those areas. This is because by definition, criminals do not obey the law (if they did, they would not be criminals.) I do not believe that restrictive "gun control" measures have ever saved a life. In point of fact, gun control actually costs lives, as it denies people the tools necessary to defend themselves.

I want to be perfectly clear here... elected officials and political candidates who support ANY form of restrictive gun control WILL LOSE MY VOTE and the votes of my family members. Please do your part to cast the flawed concept of "gun control" on to the ash heap of failed ideas.

Best regards,

Honorable Senator/Congressman XXX,

As an avid sportsman and registered voter, I want to encourage you to work against the passage of any & all legislation that threatens to infringe upon every American’s constitutionally acknowledged right to keep & bear arms.

I fear that if left unchecked, gun control measures will continue to worsen to the point that the right to bear arms will be a hollow concept, and the individual citizen’s right to personal protection will be further negated. Rather than further limiting the types of weapons that honest, responsible, law-abiding citizens have the right to possess; I encourage you to focus your energies on increasing the consequences for those who illegally use firearms in the commission of violent crimes.

Senator/Congressman XXX, I must implore you to stand in opposition to any legislation that threatens to strangle my God given rights. I believe that you and your party will benefit by gaining the favor of gun owners such as myself and the millions of other Americans who step up to actively support their Second Amendment freedoms. I am deeply passionate about this issue, and I know several others who take gun control into serious consideration when entering the voting booth.

You only stand to benefit by supporting our inalienable right to bear arms.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,

Honorable Senator/Congressman XXX

As a registered voter & concerned American, I am writing because I am appalled by politicians who want to use the recent rash of shootings as an opportunity to push for more federal gun control. I want you to understand, in no uncertain terms, that I will not vote for a politician that approves of further infringements on my right to keep & bear arms.

Using the actions of madmen & criminals as justification to deprive law abiding American citizens of their Second Amendment rights is morally repugnant. Rather than passing new laws that infringe on the rights of honest, responsible, and law-abiding citizens; I encourage you to focus your energies on enforcing current Federal laws and further increasing the penalties for those who illegally posses firearms or use them in the commission of a crime.

Americans are waking up to the realization that they are ultimately responsible for their own safety & security, and they are arming themselves in record numbers. Thus, I implore you to do everything within your power to ensure that any efforts to enact new Federal gun control measures will be rebuked.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your reply.

Respectfully,

Feel free to mix & match and cut & paste these letters in any way you see fit. Also, please add your own unique sample letters for others to draw ideas & inspiration from.

And if you're not already a member, now would be the perfect time to Join the NRA

Freedom beckons yet again my friends... will you heed its call?

Μολών λαβέ
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 10:48:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll be the first to say, thank you for posting this. That was a good thing to do.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Bump.

its so easy a caveman can do it!

Link Posted: 4/8/2009 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Bump!
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 12:04:33 PM EDT
[#4]
It is nice.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 12:08:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 12:10:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Nicely done.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 12:18:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Mods This needs a tack
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#8]
oh so tag for later.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#9]

True Americans
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I request tack for a while, also.

Jeremy

ETA :

Quoted:

Mods This needs a tack
I second the motion. Motion advances to the floor. Yay or Nay?

Link Posted: 4/8/2009 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'll be the first to say, thank you for posting this. That was a good thing to do.

+1

I'm ON IT!
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Ah good stuff. I've wrote my reps a bunch of times though. They probably know me very well. lol

This is good though, cause alot of people are lazy and won't take the time to write a letter to a senator or rep on this. Hopefully what you just did will get more people to write.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 12:52:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Tack Please. Thank you for putting this together.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#14]
tagtaggytagtagtag
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 2:11:18 PM EDT
[#15]
tag.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Great Post

Hopefully, WE will start to Act.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#18]
tag
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Tack Please. Thank you for putting this together.

+1

Good stuff.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 5:38:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 8:10:00 PM EDT
[#22]
tag
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 8:15:24 PM EDT
[#23]
bump
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 8:17:27 PM EDT
[#24]
good job
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Tagged. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Mods This needs a tack

+1 Good info
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 8:49:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Tagged.  Will work on it during free time at work.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Good idea. It hadn't occured to me to write reps who aren't mine.

Pelosi, believe it or not, would be a good one to write.

That bitch has warned Obama administration to stay away from gun control so they can get reelected. Of course that was before the recent shootings,

She, like all Democrats, blames Bush, yet again, for not enforcing the laws we have yada yada yada.

People need to let her know this is a major concern for voters.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 9:01:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Bumpty bump
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 9:05:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Tag
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#31]
I was just getting ready to type up some letters, this gives me some ideas.

ETA: Mailed out letters this morning and emailed my Senators and Congresswomen. If I get some extra time this afternoon I will be making some phone calls also.

Link Posted: 4/8/2009 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks man.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 9:56:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Mods This needs a tack

I agree, tack this. Please.
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 5:41:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Complacency is not a virtue.
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 6:49:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Tag
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 7:03:51 AM EDT
[#36]
I'll be sending letters and emails.
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 7:12:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for the tack!
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 7:55:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Tag
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 9:35:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Thanks for posting this.
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Good stuff

Problem with these threads is, that no one reads tacted threads for some reason. haha
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 2:17:13 PM EDT
[#41]
If you just read this and don't write your reps and we lose, it's your fault.
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm in for another series of letters, emails and landline calls.
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#44]
tag
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 6:03:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

Link Posted: 4/9/2009 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#46]
I just copied and pasted to some other forums and...

I also gave credit for it to NYpatriot

This kind of stuff needs as much recognition as possible, to save our rights.
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 9:16:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Got one email back today from one of my Senators.

Dear Mr. Burban89:

Thank you for expressing your position on gun
control.

I do not support an outright ban on guns nor restricting the
rights of law-abiding citizens to possess guns. However, the biggest threat to
Second Amendment and privacy rights is gun-related crime. In the absence of
safeguards that keep guns out of the hands of criminals and distinguish between
lawful and unlawful use of firearms, concerns regarding personal safety could
fuel greater support for an outright ban on gun ownership.

Gun owners
and gun safety advocates can and should work together to reduce gun violence
without compromising the Second Amendment or privacy rights of law-abiding
Americans. As the Senate considers these issues, I will support common sense
reforms that balance the rights of gun owners with the need to increase public
safety and protect the public from gun violence. Thank you again for contacting
me.
Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown

Link Posted: 4/10/2009 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#48]

NY-Patriot

Thank you for taking the time to compile the list, and the "example" letters.

Today my two senators, and congress critter were recipients of one of the example letters twisted a bit.

Link Posted: 4/10/2009 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Yes, thanks NYpatriot.

I too have copied the above info on my other internet stomping grounds.

Link Posted: 4/10/2009 3:33:32 PM EDT
[#50]
I sent out 11 letters today!

Come on people if all of us send out at least 10 think of what it can do!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top