Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/10/2002 9:38:28 AM EDT
I know I do, and feel like I know some of the AR regulars pretty well.  I just don't reply if I don't have anything worth saying (unlike some).

I just wonder how many people judge the accuracy of a reply by the # of posts by a certain member.  I know this was an issue a while back (when post counts were eliminated, or lost when the site changed).

Just wanted to get a take on other's feelings...
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 9:41:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 9:41:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I reply regardless of whether I have anything worthwhile to say, as many on here could verify...
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 9:47:02 AM EDT
[#3]
In my former life I made it a point not to reply to any post if I didn't have a deep, meaningful message.  I found that my pursuit of the meaningful conversation was pretty pointless, so I reincarnated into the loudmouthed asshole with nearly 400 posts in one month you have before you.  I'm actually more popular now than I was in my former life, in fact I seriously doubt that anybody could figure out who I was before.  Besides, even my pointless posts have something to say, just not a deep, profound message meant to be held as holy by all who read them.

If quality posts make up at least 1/10th of all of anybody's posts, they are doing damn well.  I figure I might have 20-25 meaningful/helpful posts to my credit in my current incarnation, so I'm not doing too badly.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 9:49:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 9:55:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I strive for a happy medium, between insightful commentary and things like this.

[50] [argue] [bday] [beer] [bounce] [chainsaw] [chainsawkill] [devil] [dracula] [flag] [flame] [frag] [grenade] [heavy] [kill] [marines] [moon] [newbie] [owned] [peep] [pissed] [pistol] [puke] [pyro] [rail] [rocket] [rolleyes] [sex] [shock] [shotgun] [sleep] [smash] [smoke] [sniper] [soapbox] [spank] [stick] [thinking] [uzi] [whacko]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:00:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I end up replying alot of times, even if I don't have too much worthwhile to say.  I just hope I don't sound like an idiot in the end.
-Gloftoe
View Quote

Yeah , what he said!  [:D]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Me. I do.
There.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:08:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Me

Gump
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:09:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Some have way with words.
Me not found way.[:D]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:18:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm a ghost.  Notice 23 posts in 14 months (I had alot more before we had to re-register back in 11/2000).  I lurk here every day though.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:24:00 AM EDT
[#11]
The term usually used is lurking.  Here on ar15.com, I often reply to a message and not hit send unless I feel like I'm adding something.  I probably start four replies for every one I send.  This is in contrast to my extreme lurking on Usenet.  I've been an avid reader for almost 15 years while only posting about a dozen times.  I've at least read the subjects to every message posted in about 10 groups.  This includes about 700,000 posts in misc.fitness.weights, 134,000 in comp.arch, 80,000 in comp.emacs, and 173,000 in sci.crypt.  Yes, I'm a professional lurker.z
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#12]
me too
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:39:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:41:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH... retro retro fo fetro banana fanna fo fetro fee fi fo fetro.... RETRO-DOG!!!!!
View Quote

LOL[:D]

Whoops!  I think I just posted!

Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:43:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just don't reply if I don't have anything worth saying (unlike some).
-----------------------------------------------

First of all your post is interesting and covers a topic I too have considered.

However, if I waited until I truly had something worth saying my count would be about five.

My count has increased because I'm more comfortable here, I always read the topic or question being asked, if the page count is 2 or less I read most all the responses, when more than 2 pages I read the initial topic and the last page - generally by that time the responses bear little or no resemblance to the original topic - if I have something original to add I post or often find a response with which I agree or mostly agree and respond or one where I mostly do not agree and respond.

I have the most fun when I find a thread of 3 or more pages, usually about four folks locked in mortal (if verbal) combat and with the topic heading no where toward a resolution.

This area accounts for many of my posts and virtually all contain nothing worth saying.

Works for me.

[smoke]
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#16]
i read through the posts every day while at work.  I hardly ever Reply. hehe  [(:)]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quantity without quality is meaningless.

On the other hand, quantity has a quality all its own.

Take yer pick. [:D]
View Quote

raf,
occasionally just occasionally someones post is irrefutable !

[smoke]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't reply in threads unless I have something meaningful to say.

Aww CRAP!!  I just ruined it!!  This reply is COMPLETELY meaningless!

Dammit!!

[:(!] LL [:(!]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:52:32 AM EDT
[#19]
I try to add meaningful info on subjects that I may of knowledge about. My feeling though, if we all put our knowledge together everyone will learn something. 2 heads are better than 1.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:25:58 AM EDT
[#20]
I never read anything.  I only post.

[chainsawkill]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:32:23 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't get on the site as much as I'd like too because all the co-workers already think I'm a raving gun nut. ( At least I know I am )[;)]

I try and post if I have something important to say or something useful to input into a topic. I generally try to avoid flamefests like the one darkhelmet started about tac-gear (not that he intended too)

Usually by the time i read a topic somebody all ready posted the clever remark I had been thinking. Since the gov't can detect my thoughts if i write anything humorous i try and avoid posting something that is funny. Tin Foil on.

So much for following my own rules.....
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:39:03 AM EDT
[#22]
By definition, someone who lurks more than they post is not going to reply to this thread.  That makes this thread almost useless.

Francisco
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:41:32 AM EDT
[#23]
I cruise this site every day at work in the hope that there is something either interesting or funny to discuss. Quantity has no quality lately. This board is becoming more and more like GlockTalk, which is not a good thing. I try to only post if I have something to offer, like info or how-to, or opinion on worthwhile matters.

But mostly, I just roll my eyes and hit the back button. [pissed]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:41:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Me. I go for the Quantity.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:42:42 AM EDT
[#25]
[peep]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Probably read more than I post.  Hey....this just added one more to my post count!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#27]
To post with out sustenance is just… well plain silly.

Then again I did post on the add one to your post count six or seven times [;D].

Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#28]
I just wanna know why garandman is posting everything two times lately. Is he going schizo or what?
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#29]
I read this baord for months and learned a lot mostly posting questions to help myself out. Now I reply with the few topics I am knowledgeable about and try to help out the RKI's by answering the reocurring, perplexing questions like are USA mags good.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Yeah I guess that's me alright...I've been ghosting for 3yrs or more and have probably no more than 50 or so posts. Probably visit every other day or so. I usually just read the more interesting threads on the board where I might learn something. If I have anything interesting to add that's usually when I reply- Not to mention it's easier to read while at work than to reply all the time[;)]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#31]
I've been reading this site on and off for 2 years and I just registered so I could post stuff last month. For me it was a typing issue - I did'nt know how and  I was to impatient to hunt and peck LOL.  Reading this site is VERY addictive.  I only like to post if I have something meaningful to add or if I highly agree with someone I'll let them know.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 12:17:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
2 heads are better than 1.
View Quote

Most male's 'members' will agree here.

[:D]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
... with out sustenance ...
[;D
View Quote

SDavid,
I just don't have the killer instinct today.
[:D]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#34]
I used to post all the time, after the site changed from the old site I mostly ghost.

Will ad my .02 when I feel like it.

I used to start the guns in movies and tv trivia game, but I havn't done that in a long time.  Too busy at work.
But, I do check the equipment exchange and general forum everyday.  Just like to see whats going on.

Can't get enough of this place.  Met a ton of really cool people and some great friends.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#35]
I should change my handle to Casper.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 12:55:45 PM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 1/10/2002 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 1:27:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
To me, it is not a question of ghosting versus posting; it is rather a question of quality taking precedence over quantity, and also the factual information and insight that one gleans from witnessing how the various personality types interact and the dynamics of how they influence others.  I always aim to explore life, inner and outer, as much as possible. I am always searching for a perspective on behavior, others' and my own.  In an issue so controversial, and so seemingly dominated by misinformation and disinformation, it is important to develop a third eye for the truth.  Most people sculpt reality to reflect their own whims and emotional tendancies, however, I realize that I must sculpt my whims and emotional tendancies to reflect reality.  To shape oneself to reflect reality, one must accurately perceive reality.  I had trouble with this, until I discovered an artical that suggested that there is billions of realities - one for every person.  Being that there is a separate reality for every individual, one concludes that one needs to be quite flexible in perceiving and addressing the realities of other people.  I consider it a challenge to be talking to someone who hates guns, and search diligently for common ground - and eventually find common ground.
Referring back to how most people shape their own realities, the single most influential emotion is FEAR.  If you acknowledge that most of the antigun people are NOT maliciously out to eliminate your guns, that they are simply scared of having that which is valuable to them - there children - taken from them in a lethal criminal action, and if you acknowledge their fear as VALID, you have just achieved common ground with another human who holds a polar opposite political ideology. You have shaped yourself, for them, into a fellow human being with the same fear, who simply responded in a manner so as to empower yourself.  You RESHAPE their reality, and in doing so, perhaps imbue them with courage to start questioning a lot of other things.  I have found that those who direct their energy towards controlling the object have not been shown that it is possible to change one's own behavior, to a more assertive, responsive person, in order to meet criminal threats, instead of attempting to change everybody else's behavior.  They have never been shown how it is possible to empower themselves, and how capable they are of meeting threats on their own terms.  In other words, they need to be shown how to respond positively, instead of reacting, to a threat.
Meaningful, insightive posts, me? never. [;)]
View Quote

So what's your answer?[;D]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#40]
More of a lurker (on the old board and the new one), both combined- around 1000 posts over about 3 1/2 years but will join the chorus is declaring my addiction to the site. Here almost every day (and quite a few times each day).
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
To me, it is not a question of ghosting versus posting; it is rather a question of quality taking precedence over quantity, and also the factual information and insight that one gleans from witnessing how the various personality types interact and the dynamics of how they influence others.  I always aim to explore life, inner and outer, as much as possible. I am always searching for a perspective on behavior, others' and my own.  In an issue so controversial, and so seemingly dominated by misinformation and disinformation, it is important to develop a third eye for the truth.  Most people sculpt reality to reflect their own whims and emotional tendancies, however, I realize that I must sculpt my whims and emotional tendancies to reflect reality.  To shape oneself to reflect reality, one must accurately perceive reality.  I had trouble with this, until I discovered an artical that suggested that there is billions of realities - one for every person.  Being that there is a separate reality for every individual, one concludes that one needs to be quite flexible in perceiving and addressing the realities of other people.  I consider it a challenge to be talking to someone who hates guns, and search diligently for common ground - and eventually find common ground.
Referring back to how most people shape their own realities, the single most influential emotion is FEAR.  If you acknowledge that most of the antigun people are NOT maliciously out to eliminate your guns, that they are simply scared of having that which is valuable to them - there children - taken from them in a lethal criminal action, and if you acknowledge their fear as VALID, you have just achieved common ground with another human who holds a polar opposite political ideology. You have shaped yourself, for them, into a fellow human being with the same fear, who simply responded in a manner so as to empower yourself.  You RESHAPE their reality, and in doing so, perhaps imbue them with courage to start questioning a lot of other things.  I have found that those who direct their energy towards controlling the object have not been shown that it is possible to change one's own behavior, to a more assertive, responsive person, in order to meet criminal threats, instead of attempting to change everybody else's behavior.  They have never been shown how it is possible to empower themselves, and how capable they are of meeting threats on their own terms.  In other words, they need to be shown how to respond positively, instead of reacting, to a threat.
Meaningful, insightive posts, me? never. [;)]
View Quote

Go home.  Take your meds.  Don't leave.

([;)])
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 1:41:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 1:44:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm new to the AR club, only owned one for a year so I listen more than I preach.  If I post it is usually to help people from making the same mistakes I did.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 1:51:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yeah, I already took your meds. [;D]
View Quote

[:O]Psychobolan?  You need something stronger.

Link Posted: 1/10/2002 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't have time to lurk everyday, but I do fairly often. I only post when I see a topic that sparks my interest (like this one), and I MUST grace you guys with my most graceful post...

Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot is a $5 Sailor? [>:/]

BTW: Unless I don't want to sound stewpeed, I usually only read the first couple pages, then I'm dying to reply.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#47]
I've been here since 1996. There doesn't seem to be any shortage of posts.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I know I do, and feel like I know some of the AR regulars pretty well.  I just don't reply if I don't have anything worth saying (unlike some).

I just wonder how many people judge the accuracy of a reply by the # of posts by a certain member.  I know this was an issue a while back (when post counts were eliminated, or lost when the site changed).

Just wanted to get a take on other's feelings...
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 1:54:14 PM EDT
[#48]
hehe, if you just look to your left here , you can see what i qualify as.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 1:56:13 PM EDT
[#49]
What was the question?  [whacko]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#50]
[b]I forgot the question...[/b]

[>:/]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top