Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2009 9:17:03 PM EDT

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1237947912320120.xml&coll=7

Smelly bag of coins not fine with traffic court
A Washington man's pocket change and bodily fluids go back, postage due
Wednesday, March 25, 2009
AIMEE GREEN
The Oregonian Staff
No one likes a speeding ticket.

But 47-year-old Michael Harold Lynch of Bellevue, Wash., apparently took his anger to a new level when he emptied $206 in small change into a plastic bag, soaking it in urine and mailing it to the payments division of the Multnomah County courthouse. Mailroom staff handed over the box –– and the angry letter that accompanied it –– to a sheriff's sergeant.

"It was nasty. It reeked," said Sgt. Phil Anderchuk.

Anderchuk called a U.S. postal inspector to see whether federal law had been broken and learned that it's not against the law to mail a box of bodily fluids, as long as it's properly packed and doesn't emit an obnoxious odor. (Court staff could smell the contents only when they opened the package.)

So the sergeant sealed up the box and mailed it back to Lynch –– with $27.30 postage due if Lynch wanted his change back.

Portland police Officer Chris Cass ticketed Lynch last October for driving 19 mph over the posted 35 mph speed limit in a construction zone along Southeast McLoughlin Boulevard near the Ross Island Bridge. Lynch apparently ignored the ticket and missed a court date at which he could have shown up to fight the ticket. He also could have argued his case to the judge in a letter. He racked up an added $65 in fees.

Then, the box showed up.

In explaining why the courthouse couldn't accept Lynch's payment, the sergeant wrote that "the pile of coins emitted a strong, pungent odor of stale urine. This was very concerning to me."

Anderchuk reminded Lynch he still owed for the ticket.

"I encourage you to submit your payment in a more traditional form," he wrote in a January letter. He told Lynch to expect a visit from a postal inspector, presumably to talk about how close he came to violating federal law.

A Washington man's pocket change and bodily fluids go back, postage due
Lynch apparently got the message, because a few weeks later a check arrived. But it was made out to the wrong agency. Courthouse staff sent it back. In February, a new check arrived, but this time it was made out for the wrong amount: $206, which didn't account for the $65 in penalties for arriving late. Last week, the state turned Lynch's case over to a collection agency.

The Oregonian could not reach Lynch for comment.

But Lynch clearly has lost his fight.

Which goes to show, one court manager says, that there are better ways to express one's distaste for a speeding ticket. Such as writing a letter to the judge, because showing up in court would have involved a 175-mile one-way drive for Lynch, said Eric Hall, who oversees the mailroom where ticketed drivers send their payments. Hall said receiving letters –– or even checks –– laced with obscenities is "a common daily occurrence."

Other drivers, who come in person, occasionally try to pay their fines with jars full of change. But that is time-consuming for staff and forces longer waits for other ticket payers, so Hall's office limits the form of payment to no more than 25 pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters and half dollars.

"People do get really worked up," Hall said.

But, said Hall, a box full of coins and urine is a first in his years on the job.

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#1]
LOL
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 9:20:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I like his style
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 9:21:56 PM EDT
[#3]
He should of coated the coins with seamen instead...
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 9:22:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Just imagine. Your daughter sucking on MY ass pennies
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 9:22:49 PM EDT
[#5]
why dont they just wash them off?
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

He should of coated the coins with seamen instead...

seamen or semen?

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Beat me to it.

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 9:33:39 PM EDT
[#8]
he should have took a shit in the box also....
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 10:11:19 PM EDT
[#9]
They clearly didnt want his bribe money.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 10:13:19 PM EDT
[#10]
ahh Spring Break and the kiddies that can't get laid are back home playing with the computers.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 10:16:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

WTF?
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#12]

So now they can refuse payment if it doesn't smell write ?
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 10:24:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Most people who get caught speeding have to pay fines, does he think he is someone special?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top