Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2002 7:19:38 PM EDT
OK, I know this is off topic, but I think it will get the greatest number of responses tonight being in this forum.

Facts:
I had a preban Colt that has had the sear block removed.  I sell the gun by sending it to an FFL who will then transfer it to the buyer.  

I believe this is a totally legal situation, but the buyer has been told that the gun is illegal because it has had the sear block removed.

Am I right?  I need help convincing someone else.  Please respond.

Thank you all so much.

tallionk  
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#1]
The gun is legal.  Whoever told the buyer that it is not, is incorrect.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:28:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you.  

I would appreciate it if everyone else who is knowledgeable in this area to chime in and let their opinions on this matter be known.  I think it will help to get as many opinions as possible.

Thanks everyone.
tallionk
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:33:21 PM EDT
[#4]
You don't need 200 opinions to prove your point, you need to have the ATF documentation on this.

Can anyone steer him to the on-line regulations that prove this?

Or...

You may be better off posing this on the General discussion "firearms" board instead of the General discussion "shootin' the breeze" board.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:33:27 PM EDT
[#5]
This should be of great assistance to you:

[url]http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/atf_letter30.txt[/url]

Dear :

This is in response to your letter of October 23, 1997, to the
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. In your letter, you ask if
removing the steel receiver block from the lower receiver unit of
a Colt, Sporter rifle would be a violation of Federal law.

The steel receiver block to which you refer, is intended to serve
as an anti-tampering device and prevents the installation of
various AR-15 drop-in auto sears, lightning links, and M16
machinegun fire control components. The steel receiver block is
installed in the sporter lower receiver unit by Colt Firearms and
is an attempt, on Colt's part, to prevent the illegal conversion of
their semiautomatic sporter lower receivers units into machineguns
style receivers.  The presence of the steel receiver block is not
required by Federal law.

Based on our research, it is our opinion that the removal of the
steel receiver block, in and of itself, from the lower receiver
unit of a Colt, Sporter rifle would not result in a violation of
Federal law. In addition, the possession, sale, or transfer of a
Colt, Sporter lower receiver unit with the steel receiver block
removed would not constitute a violation at Federal law.

We trust that the foregoing has been responsive to your inquiry. If
we may be of any further assistance, please contact us.

Sincerely yours,

Edward M. Owen , Jr.
              Chief, Firearms Technology Branch  

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#6]
... Why "chime in" when you already got the right answer from [b]xanadu[/b] and [b]thebeekeeper1[/b]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:36:59 PM EDT
[#7]
THUG!

You are THE MAN!, sheesh, I'm impressed at your ability to recall data as specific as this, at lightspeed! [:D]

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I like to follow one of life's little rules: If you can't be smart, be well-read.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I would like as many people to chime in as possible to try and convince the buyer.  

The buyer is a really nice guy and it has been a pleasure doing business with him.  But now a friend of his who is an AR15 Expert has gotten him convinced he is buying an illegal rifle.  I would just like to have help in assuring him that the rifle is legal, despite what this "expert" says.  

He probably second guesses me because I have an interest in the sale.  I don't blame him for that.  It is in his best interest to make sure everything is legal.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:00:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#11]
You can remove the sear block from a Colt AR15 Lower.  Colt decided to put the sear block in to be "politically correct" and to kiss the ATF's butt.

medcop
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#12]
To my knowlege you could even drill him an auto-sear hole.  That outa get em goin!
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
To my knowlege you could even drill him an auto-sear hole.  That outa get em goin!
View Quote

Wrong!  I think *that* goes over the BATF line...

I agree with the above.  I wouldn't sell it to him now... put it up here, and sell it to someone a little less nervous.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:46:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:16:18 PM EDT
[#15]
The real problem here that no one seemed to pick up on is.

"You sold one of your children"

Man what were you thinking?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:28:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:35:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The real problem here that no one seemed to pick up on is.

"You sold one of your children"

Man what were you thinking?
View Quote

Scary...I agree with Hineline.

But...WTF were you thinking??  A man can never have to many AR15s, especially pre-bans!!!

SGtar15
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:12:56 PM EDT
[#18]
the gun is a tool of mass destruction now and you should have it.... so I will do you a favor. If you send it with 10 of those nasty 30 rnd mags i will take it off your hands.[;)]

Actually nothing wrong with the rifle thats why I want it...pat
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:26:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I agree with beekeeper, I would drop this idiot.  If he is so unwilling to believe you then how could you even feel good about the sale?  This guy seems like a peon who doesn't even deserve the gun.  

Keep it.  That's what I would do.  Tell his friend to kiss your ass, one day when the guy who listen to him realizes he missed a good deal he will be kicking himself.  

Use this quote: "it is better to be thought a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt."
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:56:04 PM EDT
[#20]
The buyer's a good guy.  He's just getting bad advice.

And I don't feel bad about selling an AR, because for me, the thrill is in the hunt.  I like having a new project to work on and search for a good deal on.  I enjoy searching for a new one and making modifiations almost as much as shooting.  

So these funds will just evolve into another AR.  My own personal form of reincarnation.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 7:03:09 PM EDT
[#21]
So your telling me that you cant just drill one silly little hole??? hahaha  [rolleyes]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top