Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2002 4:18:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#1]
since I am a long term INVESTOR, I don't look at it on a year per year basis. Rather I look at my gains or losses from when I made my investment. Ex: I started an IRA in 94 for $750 it is now a lil over $6000
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Not too bad.

Just playing around nothing serious yet..

Last buy made up for a bad turn in the spring..

Bought at 14.25 now at 23...
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:29:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I am LT's antithesis.  I trade options, sometimes holding for less than a day.  I was doing great early in the year, up 320%. But I have given almost all of it back due to a 6-month losing streak (which hasn't broken yet [:(] ). So I ended up 74%.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am LT's antithesis.  I trade options, sometimes holding for less than a day.  I was doing great early in the year, up 320%. But I have given almost all of it back due to a 6-month losing streak (which hasn't broken yet [:(] ). So I ended up 74%.  
View Quote

Hey now, OPTIONS. Now yer talking!!! [:D] I'm not against day trading, but rather don't see day trading as a form of investing. It is a form of nationally legalized gambling as far as I am concerned. Hell a good Vegas poker player can win millions at times, much like a day trader. He can also loose that in one sitting, much like a day trader. So just cause you are playing with stocks, does not mean you are an investor in my book. But hey it is fun [:)] Much like gambling in Vegas is.

I do play with options. Have not done it in the past 2 yrs. But I don't plan on making bank on it. Purely for fun and test myself to see if I can predict the market. My first year of doing this I lost close to $15K. Just imagine how many firearms I coulda bought with that [:(] Made it back since then though.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:40:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a small windfall that happened about a week after Sept. 11... I was fortunate enough to put a couple grand into a mid cap growth fund at the market's lowest point. I bought at @ 18.20 a share... it's now come back to a near 52 week high at around 24.30 a share; an almost instant return of 30%.
I feel kind of guilty about profiting from our tragedy, but it was something that I'd intended to do beforehand, and the timing just worked in my favor.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I just ran into a High School friend, he was in  shock,, WHy? he just made $500,000 in the market. HE started 9-22,,,,, bought when the market dropped.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hey now, OPTIONS. Now yer talking!!! [:D] I'm not against day trading, but rather don't see day trading as a form of investing. It is a form of nationally legalized gambling as far as I am concerned. Hell a good Vegas poker player can win millions at times, much like a day trader. He can also loose that in one sitting, much like a day trader. So just cause you are playing with stocks, does not mean you are an investor in my book. But hey it is fun [:)] Much like gambling in Vegas is.
View Quote

It's not too much fun if you always lose.  The way I'm doing, I'd have better odds in Vegas.  Seriously, I am doing terribly.  I used to be correct 40-60% of the time.  You know what my winning trade record has been for the past 6 months? 7%!!! [:I]  The only reason I'm not ruined is because I never stake more than 10% of my money on one trade, and never accept losses of more than 10%.  Still, it's eating me away.  I can't seem to spot opportunities like I used to. [BD]

I do play with options. Have not done it in the past 2 yrs. But I don't plan on making bank on it. Purely for fun and test myself to see if I can predict the market. My first year of doing this I lost close to $15K. Just imagine how many firearms I coulda bought with that [:(] Made it back since then though.
View Quote

Good deal. I intended to make this my career, I dont really get any intrinsic value from trading though.  It's not fun, or an adrenaline rush, or anything.  I just figured if I'm right 50% of the time and just cut my losses before they get big, I should do ok.  This theory has been sorely tested lately.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:14:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Maybe you misunderstood my post.  
View Quote

I misunderstand a lot of things and I'm very opinionated, so don't mind me [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top