Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/9/2002 6:39:16 AM EDT
[url]http://www.msnbc.com/news/684548.asp[/url]

ORANGE COUNTY sheriff’s deputies served search warrants early Wednesday on the Laguna Niguel home of the 43-year-old man, who was not immediately identified, and a storage shed he had rented in San Juan Capistrano. More than 200 weapons — including some “illegal” assault rifles — and 3,000 to 4,000 rounds of ammunition were found at the two locations, Sheriff’s Department spokesman Jim Amormino said.
      Amormino said the man, who was arrested Tuesday, had been “recently terminated” from his job at the plant, which towers over the California coastline about 60 miles southeast of Los Angeles.
      After being fired, “Apparently, he called several times to the plant,” Amormino said. “He made threats to employees and supervisors that he had a lot of guns and he would come back and shoot them.”
      The director at the plant in turn notified the sheriff’s department, he said.  
Advertisement

The man was booked for investigation of terrorist threats and is being held in Orange County Men’s Central Jail in Santa Ana.
      Sheriff’s deputies found 54 weapons at the man’s home during a search Tuesday. They raided the storage shed on Wednesday and found approximately 150 weapons, including assault rifles, small arms and several ammunition cans. Amormino said some of the assault rifles were illegal to own in California.
      Three sheriff’s deputies searching the storage unit at about 1 a.m. PT were exposed to toxic fumes that erupted from an ammunition can opened in the search, according to another spokesman, Lt. Colin Murphy. The deputies were treated at a nearby hospital and released.
      A hazardous material team was dispatched to the storage shed to attempt to identify the substance.
      The San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station is jointly owned by Southern California Edison, San Diego Gas and Electric and the cities of Riverside and Anaheim, California. Southern California Edison is a unit of Edison International.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:43:40 AM EDT
[#1]
3000-4000 rounds of ammo, for 200 guns, I call bullshit on that one! Either way less guns or way more ammo.

[beer]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:50:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Hate to say it, if true, the guy is a dumbass to go about threatening people with anything.  Multiple felonies with the AW addon.  Even if he beats the terrorist threat felony, he has the AW felonies.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:56:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I does sound like he is a dumbass, based on the media report.  Chalk one up for the Brady Bunch.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:06:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Number of Guns: I really don't see much practicality in having more firearms than are needed to fully equip family members or possibly extended family members as well.

Of course collecting is a different story and doesn't have much to do with practicality.

Better to have more ammo and magazines with load bearing equipment to make a more effective family "arsenal".
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:10:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey, let's give a round of applause to the media...this time when they said "arsenal", they didn't mean 5-6 guns...they really got the term right this time.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:15:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hey, let's give a round of applause to the media...this time when they said "arsenal", they didn't mean 5-6 guns...they really got the term right this time.
View Quote

And let's give a round of applause to ken2483 for finding the bright side of this story.
[:D]

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:42:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
After being fired, “Apparently, he called several times to the plant,” Amormino said. “He made threats to employees and supervisors that he had a lot of guns and he would come back and shoot them.”

View Quote

What a moron! I checked that department's  website, [url]www.ocsd.org[/url] and the only booking i could find for Terrorist Threats is this one:

Inmate Name:
Reza, David Lee

Booking Number:

Date of Birth:
01-02-1958

Sex:  Male
Race:  White

Height:  6' 01
Weight:  210 lbs.

Hair Color:  Black
Eye Color:  Brown

Next Appearance Date:
01-10-2002

Next Appearance Court:
HARBOR JUSTICE CENTER SOUTH  

Housing Location:
Intake Release Center (Men);  Module IN

Custody Status:
In Custody

Bail Amount:
Ineligible

Arrested on:
01-08-2002 at 18:30

Case Summary - 1 Case:

Case
Book Date
Significant Charge
Warrant / Case Number
Jurisdiction
Disposition

BK
01-08-02
PC 422

HARBOR JUSTICE CENTER SOUTH

Booking Case:
Case Name:

Booked on:  01-08-2002 at 22:14
Warrant / Case Number:  

Bail Amount:  NO BAIL
Jurisdiction:  HARBOR JUSTICE CENTER SOUTH

Arresting Agency:  ORANGE COUNTY SHERIFF
Number of Charges:  1

Count
Degree
Code
Section
Description

Felony
PC
THREAT TO TERRORIZE
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#8]
When Fox News cut in with this story the 'reporter' was mentioning the 'several assault weapons' while a nervous LEO was fingering a Model '94 and then picked up a single shot H&R .20 ga! It was kind of a funny sight.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:00:10 AM EDT
[#9]
As much as the thought of innocent firearms getting destroyed bugs me, it sounds like the guy has a few screws loose and should not have any weapons in his possession.

We don't need people like that on our side.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:03:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is the report from the Orange County Register.  BTW-The O.C. Reg. is an anomaly in Calif news papers, in that they are pretty pro-gun. Actually I believe they owners are Libertarians.
===================================================
http://www.ocregister.com/breakingnews/updates/09sanonofre.shtml

Wednesday, January 9, 2002

Fired worker arrested for San Onofre threats

Weapons found in a rented shed and his Laguna Niguel home.

January 9, 2002

By GREG RISLING
The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES — A recently fired nuclear plant worker was arrested for allegedly threatening plant employees, and about 150 weapons were found in a shed he rented and in his home, authorities said.

The man, whose name was not immediately released, was booked for investigation of terrorist threats and was being held in the Orange County Men's Central Jail in Santa Ana. He was arrested Tuesday at his Laguna Niguel home.

The man was fired from his job at the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station in north San Diego County in recent weeks, said Orange County sheriff's spokesman Jim Amormino. The plant, 65 miles south of Los Angeles, is owned by Southern California Edison.

Officials served a search warrant early today on a storage shed in San Juan Capistrano rented by the man. They found about 150 weapons along with thousands of rounds of ammunition in the storage unit and at his home.

"We take every threat seriously, especially those from former employees of a nuclear power plant," Amormino said. "Is the person capable of carrying out the threat? Considering we found a cache of weapons and ammunition, we think the answer is yes."

Two sheriff's deputies were overcome by fumes at the shed from an unknown chemical, said Lt. Greg Russell. Authorities described the chemical as a yellow vapor from an ammunition canister. The deputies were taken to a hospital to be examined, and a hazardous material team was sent to the site.

Russell said a friend of the suspect contacted authorities earlier this week and told them the man had threatened plant employees. The nature of the threats was not immediately released.

Copyright 2002
The Orange County Register
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:22:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As much as the thought of innocent firearms getting destroyed bugs me, it sounds like the guy has a few screws loose and should not have any weapons in his possession.

View Quote

No offense, but a lot of gun owners that I have met have "a few screws loose." I know it's their constitutional right to own firearms, but if you just talk them for a few minutes, you'd think "Omigod, how the hell did he get a gun?"
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:27:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

No offense, but a lot of gun owners that I have met have "a few screws loose." I know it's their constitutional right to own firearms, but if you just talk them for a few minutes, you'd think "Omigod, how the hell did he get a gun?"
View Quote

I've definitely met a couple of yahoos that had no business owning a firearm.  Or eating with a fork, for that matter.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:30:38 AM EDT
[#13]
This guy would not qualify as a friend of mine.  Making stupid threats is...stupid!  I do not fault him in any way for owning an "arsenal", but being a dangerous jerk is not part of the Second Amendment.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:36:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:36:37 AM EDT
[#15]
The scary thing is that I live in Laguna Niguel. One of the safest cities in the good ole USA. We're next to Mission Viejo, considered the third safest city in the US.
Lots and lots of Republicans. One of the few cities that voted republican in the last election in California.
This guy is not the only guy with an "arsenal" in this city. Lots of well to do folks with cash to burn on firearms.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:39:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
3000-4000 rounds of ammo, for 200 guns, I call bullshit on that one! Either way less guns or way more ammo.

[beer]
View Quote

Agreed, what good (if not a collector) are 200 guns without the ammunition for them.

I have 3000-4000 rounds for my AR and SAR1 [b]each[/b]. (I shoot alot and like to have a revolving inventory)  My guess is that alot of you could say the same if not exceed that ammount.  
Most People who do not have experiance with shooting (and some that do) have no idea of what is considered alot or a little amount of ammo.  I'm sure that many would think that 50-100 rounds is alot. You guys know how fast 50-100 rounds can end up down range.  If I was ever in the "news" I'm positive that I would immediately be portrayed as some psycho-terrorist-anti government-rambo wanabe-bent on killing women and children without remorse.

Yup, this guy is not to bright and based on the story he probably really is a threat.  Losing his firearms is his own damn fault. I've been "recently terminated" (layed-off) twice in the past two years.  Shit happens, the world does not end. Appears to me that he is not capable of dealing with lifes stresses and it was real easy to blame someone else for his misfortune and lash out in a destructive way.  I don't feel sorry for him, must be that mid-life crisis thing.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:45:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

" a friend of the suspect contacted authorities earlier this week and told them the man had threatened plant employees. The nature of the threats was not immediately released."

Copyright 2002
The Orange County Register
View Quote

I just noticed this after re-reading the thread.

So it was one of his bud's that ratted on him.  If he's smart, he'll make himself real scarce when the guy gets out.

Then of course, only an idiot would tell [i] anybody [/i] they intended to commit a violent act. Especially with a collection like he had.

What are the chances that this forum was on his Favorites List (provided he had a computer and internet access), and that the investigating agency assigned to the case is reviewing this site for any info?

I'm puttin' on my tin foil hat right the f**k now! [:D]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:50:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

OK, it's cool to have a few screws loose (I know I do) but once you start threatening people you have stepped over the line.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:53:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The scary thing is that I live in Laguna Niguel. One of the safest cities in the good ole USA. We're next to Mission Viejo, considered the third safest city in the US.
Lots and lots of Republicans. One of the few cities that voted republican in the last election in California.
This guy is not the only guy with an "arsenal" in this city. Lots of well to do folks with cash to burn on firearms.
View Quote

Its a small point of distinction, but with Kali gun laws, your town ain't the safest in the USA - just the LUCKIEST, so far.

Guns = safety.

And with Kali gun laws, y'all are a little low on guns.

Peace.

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:14:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Its a small point of distinction, but with Kali gun laws, your town ain't the safest in the USA - just the LUCKIEST, so far.

Guns = safety.

Peace.

View Quote

I'd rather be lucky than good. [:D]

Guns do not equal safety. Guns in the hands of SANE people equal safety.

Do you absolutely know we're a little low on guns? [;)]

Peace out, yo.

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:24:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
[img]http://www.fightingcock.com/images/jokester.gif[/img]
View Quote

Here's the haiku version:

We have no guns here
Dumped them all in the ocean
(our machine tools sing)
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:58:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Just be glad the fool never made good on his threats.
200 ain't that many guns. I would like to an inventory of what he had.
I don't think he ought be called a terrorist.
Just a Stupid Jerk who let his alligator mouth overload his jaybird ass.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I'm going to have to second that motion to laugh at garandman.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:59:29 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm just glad they caught the SOB before he took one of those AW to work and let loose causing the screwed up poly's here in Cali to inforce yet another useless AW ban in Cali.

Hell it's bad enough already. Sh*t look at my Cali legal AR already. Ugly aint it
[img]http://www.ehomebook.com/users/netrig/images/caliar.bmp[/img]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#26]
You actually made your gun legal?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#27]
[;)]  "shhhh "  uh un
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

And y'all are pretty typical of yer average Califonian, right??? [}:D]

I think not.

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:05:06 AM EDT
[#29]
^
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:06:14 AM EDT
[#30]
This guy got what he deserved. If he was stupid enough to threaten people, over his lost job, he should be locked up.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Anyone want to make a guess as to what the "toxic" substance in the ammo can is?  Possibly copper or powder solvent.  Nah couldnt be, hes a terrorist.  Must be mustard gas.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#32]
netrig,

If your rifle is registered, it can have a pistol grip and a magazine (provided the magazine was possessed prior to 2000).

If it is not registered, then your 'Cali legal AR' will look like this:

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

And y'all are pretty typical of yer average Califonian, right??? [}:D]

I think not.

View Quote

This is coming from a guy in SC? I think there is a larger ratio of gun owners in SC only because there's less people there. How many people live in SC? Probably not more than the city of San Francisco. I suspect that there are more gun owners in California than there are people in SC.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
[;)]  "shhhh "  uh un
View Quote

LOL. Uh, yeah, all my guns are legal and they're all registered, too. Yeah, that's the ticket. I'm totally telling the truth. I wouldn't ever lie or tell an untruth.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:35:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This is coming from a guy in SC? I think there is a larger ratio of gun owners in SC only because there's less people there. How many people live in SC? Probably not more than the city of San Francisco. I suspect that there are more gun owners in California than there are people in SC.
View Quote

That 'ratio per capita' is VERY important as crimes are ALSO reported per capita. The total # of people is fairly irrelevant.

My point, my good man, is that Kali is slowly outlawing guns.

Just recently, SC legalized Class III ownership.

Comparatively, just recently, Kali de facto outlawed new semiauto firearms ownership.

Were getting MORE guns per capita, you are getting less.

As crime stats are interpreted in per capita terms, we are getting safer as the legal guns per criminal is going up here, but its going down there.

In short John, Kali sucks. I can't IMAGINE why or HOW anyone could stand living there. That said, I am sure you are an excellent individual, and count you as my brother in arms .

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:44:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:53:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

My point, my good man, is that Kali is slowly outlawing guns.
View Quote

Huh? Tell me where that's coming from. We keep getting more stupid laws, true. But most of it simply creates more hoops to jump through, if nothing else.

Comparatively, just recently, Kali de facto outlawed new semiauto firearms ownership.
View Quote

Where did this come from? I haven't heard anything of the sort.

In short John, Kali sucks. I can't IMAGINE why or HOW anyone could stand living there. That said, I am sure you are an excellent individual, and count you as my brother in arms .
View Quote

Naw, Kali doesn't suck. Kali laws and Politicians suck. The weather certainly doesn't suck here.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#38]
 The Caliban regime has control over everything in Califorked so it is impossible that he had all those weapons of mass destruction. It must be a media ploy by the right wing! Everyone knows gun control works and that the Caliban protects the citizens and the possibility of this incident is null....
  Just look at all those big cities with crime rates of zero... For example, there's uhh... hmmm... well.... Ok, then there is uuuuuuuhhhh........ mmmmmm.... well we can always use as an example uhhhhhhhhh well you know....

Just goes to show yet again that you cannot legislate against crazy bastards. All the laws in the world can't stop a lunatic. A .45 will stop a lunatic better than a book stamped with "The Code of the Great State of "...
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:25:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Back on topic

Kcal9 confirms the suspect's name is David Reza.

Total count is;
254 guns
approx 5K of ammo
undisclosed amount of cocaine.

Press conference in a half hour.

The chemical in the ammo can ended up being a leaking container of a Mace/teargas/OC spray type product. Not Hoppe's as some here speculated.

On the news footage I saw several old revolvers & break action shotguns. Saw a couple 37 or 40mm rounds of an unknown type. Saw one LAW rocket, most likely inert. Saw one 20mm ammocan link ammo for the LAV25 comes in.

I'm sure everything will be on display for the press conference.

Anyone on the Board know David Reza? Did he post here? One of Imbroglio's buddies?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
garandman, you're forgetting about the 'unintended consequences' of California's gun laws. Gun sales in California have been brisque for many years, surpassing all other states, as people ran out and bought what they could while they still can. I don't have the figures in front of me but it should be easy enough to look up. The main reason gun sales in California are down now is because the market here is saturated. Most people already have all the guns they wanted. Of course there's the economy but that affects sales all over the country.
View Quote

BB-

I hope you're right. I do. I really do. [:D]

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:35:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, it's not the third largest state for nothing. If it was really bad, why would people still move here?
Anyhow, I hope that when and if the shtf, I'll be right there with you laying down covering fire with my outlawed AR. [beer]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Actually, Kali DOES suck. Most bad ideas come from your freakin' state and hop a jetliner to the northeast. Like Washington DC and CT. Not to mention MA and RI. And NY. And NJ. And MD. And on and on and on.

Yup, Kali sucks.

Let's all move to Utah or something.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:41:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Well, it's not the third largest state for nothing. If it was really bad, why would people still move here?
Anyhow, I hope that when and if the shtf, I'll be right there with you laying down covering fire with my outlawed AR. [beer]
View Quote

that's a roger.

Actually, the rest of us in "Free America" (excludes CT, NJ, MD and Chicago) are planning an extraction of Kali patriots like yourself.

"When? " you ask.

I can't tell ya, you'll just know. [:D]

(CT, NJ, MD and Chicago patriots will require their own extraction [:D] )

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Actually, Kali DOES suck. Most bad ideas come from your freakin' state and hop a jetliner to the northeast. Like Washington DC and CT. Not to mention MA and RI. And NY. And NJ. And MD. And on and on and on.

Yup, Kali sucks.

View Quote

Ok, so you're saying that the people in your state can't think for themselves? The root of all evil comes from my state? Well, actually, I do get evil thoughts every twenty seconds or so. Opps, most of that is disgusting sexual positions with my secretary. [sex]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Where's the rallying point?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, Kali sucks.

View Quote

Ok, so you're saying that the people in your state can't think for themselves? The root of all evil comes from my state? Well, actually, I do get evil thoughts every twenty seconds or so. Opps, most of that is disgusting sexual positions with my secretary. [sex]
View Quote

Yes. That is exactly what I am saying.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, Kali sucks.

View Quote

View Quote

Yes. That is exactly what I am saying.
View Quote

The people in your state can't think or my evil fantasies with my secretary?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Doh!
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:02:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Doh!
View Quote

K, which one is it?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Doh!
View Quote

K, which one is it?
View Quote

The portion of your quote which preceded your description of workplace sexual fantasies.

I certainly hope your secretary is female![shock]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top