Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/18/2009 10:25:41 PM EDT
When and if you shoot competetively, what handgun do you compete with?
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 10:30:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I carry a J frame, I don't shoot competitively now, but when I do, I will most likely shoot a 1911.

Link Posted: 3/18/2009 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I carry a J frame, I don't shoot competitively now, but when I do, I will most likely shoot a 1911.

Link Posted: 3/18/2009 10:33:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not compete with your carry weapon?
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 10:34:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I shoot informal competition only.  I work during the regular competitions.  I usually use a Ruger or Smith and Wesson revolver in .357 or .44.  I carry a 360 PD in .357 , and HATE to shoot it with my personal defence loads.  You know it is going to get worse as you fire each additional shot, since the gun gets so much lighter.  With the .38 wadcutters, it is not so painful, and they do shoot to almost the same point of aim at 10 yards.  Still, a box of .38's is enough for one range trip.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 11:43:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I wish randomly the organizers of IDPA, IPSC etc matches would  make the people shoot what they carry to the event. If they don't carry to the event then they don't get to shoot at all.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 11:45:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I wish randomly the organizers of IDPA, IPSC etc matches would  make the people shoot what they carry to the event. If they don't carry to the event then they don't get to shoot at all.

What about that guy who was going to enter with his .50AE desert eagle?  What happened to that thread?
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 11:47:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about that guy who was going to enter with his .50AE desert eagle?  What happened to that thread?

If you find it, lemme know.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 11:47:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I carry a P3AT when I have to. Not my normal carry gun.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 11:50:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Answered some other question. Delete.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 11:52:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't doubt some people can qualify with them, my point is that most couldn't and acknowledge that by using real guns to compete.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 11:53:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I know MDs who have done that. They made people load magazines and unlock cases on the clock.

Link Posted: 3/18/2009 11:58:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know MDs who have done that. They made people load magazines and unlock cases on the clock.

I think this is dumb. Some people don't want to carry and that is their right. All of these "competitions" are games and some people just want to play games. Maybe if there was a special division for carry people, but otherwise I disagree.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 11:58:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I carry a J frame, when I shoot competitively I shoot a 1911. The J frame is my BUG or when I'm just making a quick run to the store. I always have 3 lose rounds in my pocket when I have the J frame on me.

Link Posted: 3/19/2009 12:04:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You carry a J farme in china I thought they were banned.

http://www.jincao.com/fa/04/law04.37.htm

http://everything2.com/title/Gun%2520control%2520in%2520China
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 12:05:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think this is dumb. Some people don't want to carry and that is their right. All of these "competitions" are games and some people just want to play games. Maybe if there was a special division for carry people, but otherwise I disagree.

If they don't like it they can compete somewhere else.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 12:07:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a way to bring new people into the sport.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 12:12:34 AM EDT
[#17]
It's just like the people who spend thousands of dollars to go to shooting classes. They show up and spend an hour kitting up. Now I know in certain circumstances for instance if you are in the military you will want to train in gear that you will wear overseas but not in the US as a civi. But if  you are a civi and take the J frame you carried to the range and put on your war belt with a 1911 and your chest rig I'm l like .

ETA I hate to bring this thread into the discussion of IDPA or IPSC but I think they should reinforce good tactical habits. What do they stand for? Unloading your gun, and holstering it after each string is not a good habit nor is not trusting your competitors to carry hot weapons, it doesn't give them much confidence either.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 12:14:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Compete with my carry gun(not a J frame).

Link Posted: 3/19/2009 12:19:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I invite new shooters to different events.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 12:21:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

When I first started shooting IPSC, etc I was 20, and had no carry gun. I just showed up, wasn't invited. I can tell you how many events I would have gone to after that if I'd been told that I couldn't shoot because I didn't do a combat roll onto the course and draw my carry gun and go to town with carry loads.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 12:42:08 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Because a J-frame is not a competition level gun.

That said, 642 and M&P here.

Link Posted: 3/19/2009 12:44:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

azmjs is not above blowing smoke up your ass, Sir.

Link Posted: 3/19/2009 1:03:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I first started shooting IPSC, etc I was 20, and had no carry gun. I just showed up, wasn't invited. I can tell you how many events I would have gone to after that if I'd been told that I couldn't shoot because I didn't do a combat roll onto the course and draw my carry gun and go to town with carry loads.

IPSC is a little different from IDPA, usually its the latter where you find the hijinks.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 1:16:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just carry a knife here in China, but back in the states, I carry a J Frame more often than anything else.

My lousy random Chinese calligraphy scribbles with my dear old j frame and some delicious booze.

ETA:

My tactical competition Home Defense HSLD Chinese Hammer. I got it as a gift from a catholic priest, true story.

Link Posted: 3/19/2009 4:51:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The guy who set the IDPA atages I used to shoot purposefully made them revolver unfriendly, so you had to use a pistol or else abandon all hope of a decent score.  I mostly conceal a Model 60, although I'm thinking about getting another Kahr.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 4:56:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 5:09:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

My tactical competition Home Defense HSLD Chinese Hammer. I got it as a gift from a catholic priest, true story.

The long lost Hammer Of Dead has been found!

Link Posted: 3/19/2009 5:12:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Why don't you start your own shooting competition?
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 5:15:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Let me guess, this was an IDPA match, right?
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 5:18:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It's just like the people who spend thousands of dollars to go to shooting classes. They show up and spend an hour kitting up. Now I know in certain circumstances for instance if you are in the military you will want to train in gear that you will wear overseas but not in the US as a civi. But if  you are a civi and take the J frame you carried to the range and put on your war belt with a 1911 and your chest rig I'm l like .

ETA I hate to bring this thread into the discussion of IDPA or IPSC but I think they should reinforce good tactical habits. What do they stand for? Unloading your gun, and holstering it after each string is not a good habit nor is not trusting your competitors to carry hot weapons, it doesn't give them much confidence either.

After shooting competitively since '92, I have found that are very few people that I would be willing to be downrange of if I knew that they were "hot".

The regulars that I shoot with and some of the guys from the other clubs are very safe.

People off the street that I've never met? Fuck no.

Call me anything you want, but some of our fellow gun owners scare me.  

Link Posted: 3/19/2009 5:19:33 AM EDT
[#31]
If you carry a J frame and shoot skeet, should you have to shoot skeet with your S&W 36?
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 5:24:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If they made the course reflect RL scenarios then sure. I would bet that over 95% of competition shooters dont carry their comp gun either.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 5:27:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If you carry a J frame and shoot skeet, should you have to shoot skeet with your S&W 36?

That would be some peoples logic.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 5:39:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I do.

My local IDPA clubs don't have BUG category but they let me shoot in SSR.

Some (not all) allow me to use my Kramer pocket holster.  Yes, pocket carry is against IDPA rules because it's in front of your centerline.  However, the MDs at those clubs recognize that I'm not doing it for competitive reasons.

Link Posted: 3/19/2009 5:51:32 AM EDT
[#35]
I carry a Smith 640.

Guns and matches are:

Trap/skeet:  Mdl 12 Winchester
Rimfire Sihlouette: Browning Buckmark and Remington 597.
Service rifle/highpower:  Either a Bushmaster or an M1A. I retired the Garand several years ago.  
NRA Pistol: Colt Gold Cup and  Browning Buckmark.
Rifle sihlouette:  Custom rifle in .284 Winchester. Sometimes a similar rifle in .300 Win.   Back in the day I used to shoot pistol sihlouette with a Smith mdl 29, but since those matches often conflicted with others I've given that up.

I hunt almost exclusively with a 20 or 16ga double, a Smith 629 or a 6.5x55 custom rifle on a Mauser action. I spend my days plinking with either a .38 or .22  6" revolver off the porch.

You need to realized there is a whole world of competitive shooters out there that never get within a days ride of an IDPA match.  i've visited several and found the clientele to be  a little on the gunshop commando side.  

BTW:  I think you are making a mistake equating a game with training.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 6:28:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
When and if you shoot competetively, what handgun do you compete with?

Glock 17
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 6:29:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The same reason I dont play Golf with my carry weapon. Because its a game.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 6:39:30 AM EDT
[#38]
The pistol range where I shoot has IPSC/IDPA matches, and they have a bonus match for the chief specials/j-frames. Most often these are the same folks competing in production or open (read: no one really shows up to just run their j-frame, they are guys/gals running XD's, Glocks, single stack etc), its that they also want an opportunity to run/gun with their backup j-frames.

I carry a J-frame very rarely, only when I'm around the house outside cleaning the gutters, making a late night run for ice cream for a preggo wife, etc. I still  take it out at least 1x a month to stay proficient with it and practice reloads...and I simply like shooting revolvers  

Link Posted: 3/19/2009 6:40:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Competing with a different gun than you carry might not be the most realistic way to practice but if you have fun doing it and it gets you running and gunning you're doing way better than most people that carry.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 6:44:00 AM EDT
[#40]
If WI had CCW or lived somewhere that allowed it my CCW would be a J-frame, Glock 26, SIG P239, or a S&W M&P9c. When the day comes that I can CCW I'll have to investigate each of them. I would compete with the carry piece if I were to say shoot in IDPA.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 6:49:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IPSC is a little different from IDPA, usually its the latter where you find the hijinks.

They're all the same to me, unrealistic games with stupid rules, and the people who run the matches give themselves free do-overs if they don't like their scores.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 6:49:15 AM EDT
[#42]
They are not going to have competition shoots at distances of four or five feet. I have no intention of trying to use my 442 at any distance further than that. It's basically a "get them off me" gun, basically a close defensive weapon, and not one to be used at 25 yds.
That is why a lot of people carry them everyday and competed with some other firearm.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 7:14:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 7:18:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They are not going to have competition shoots at distances of four or five feet. I have no intention of trying to use my 442 at any distance further than that. It's basically a "get them off me" gun, basically a close defensive weapon, and not one to be used at 25 yds.
That is why a lot of people carry them everyday and competed with some other firearm.

Here's the flaw in that:

Nobody has any way of guaranteeing that they'll only need to use the weapon at 4 to 5 feet. Frankly, planning to do only that is silly. I have no intention of letting a threat get that close to me if at all humanly possible. I'd much rather be dealing with one from 10 yards.

The reality of life is this: Most fights happen at very close range, but there's no guarantee YOUR fight will be at very close range.

so you carry a fully comped out race gun?
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 7:22:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

And on the flip side...............
I carry, depending on the circumstances, a S&W 442 or a HiPower. As I drove home from my first defensive pistol class I realized I had spent 2 days in class set up for open carry! Since then I take a light weight quail hunting vest. Sleeveless, mesh back, so I don't keel over from the heat, but it approximates the jacket I wear.

Quoted:
Your overall point, however, is a good one. At my most recent training endeavor one of the guys there was using a P30. I started talking to him about the weapon and how he liked it, and he related an incident where he attended a training course with Simon Golob. At lunch he put his high-dollar custom 1911 in a case, dropped a J frame in his pocket and started to head out. Simon watched him do this and asked him something to the effect of: Do you really expect the trigger control you've developed with the 1911 to help you shoot that thing?

The general point being lots of folks carry one gun, but spend all their time shooting another. That's unsat.

I resemble that remark.

Point taken.

Link Posted: 3/19/2009 7:23:13 AM EDT
[#46]
J-frames suck for quick reloads.  The casings don't always clear the frame.

I have and sometimes carry a model 60, it is no competition gun.  A medium frame revolver would be a lot better IMO.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 7:27:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're all the same to me, unrealistic games with stupid rules, and the people who run the matches give themselves free do-overs if they don't like their scores.

Exactly.  It's a louder version of a video game. When was the last time you say somebody get to re-shoot a service rifle stage?
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 7:47:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 7:50:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Competing with a different gun than you carry might not be the most realistic way to practice but if you have fun doing it and it gets you running and gunning you're doing way better than most people that carry.

Competing in IPSC and IDPA are not the most effective ways of training, period. The skills and equipment that win matches are not the skills and equipment that will save your life in a gun fight.

Games are not training.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 7:51:52 AM EDT
[#50]
our local range has BUG (Back Up Gun) matches.
they are short range and are usually 5-10 rounds/stage.

basically IDPA with no min caliber requirement.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top