Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/18/2009 6:14:33 PM EDT
Ok so I turn 21 in about a week. I will be getting a pistol from my parents for my birthday but I havent fully decided which one yet. I really love the S&W M&P9 and M&P9c. I have shot them a few times and really like them, however I always hear people rave about glocks.  So what model glocks are similar to the previous mentioned S&W's.  With everything I hear about glocks, I would like to atleast grip one and see how it feels and hopefully shoot one, before I make my decision.  Also as far as he M&P series go, how would you guys rate them compared to glocks?

Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Do yourself a favor... google "Glock kb"

Then, ask for a SIG Sauer.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:17:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Glocks are fine for conscript weapons.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Glock 19. All the pistol you will ever need. If you want more features or feel uncomfortable with the safety mechanisms, try the XD series or MnP. In the end, they are all better than a kel-tec.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:19:31 PM EDT
[#4]
You might want to change your Avatar, I thought you were N_T for a minute.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#5]
You know, for a second I thought you were that Napoleon_Tannerite dude.

You should think about getting a new avatar.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:20:47 PM EDT
[#6]
G26, although that 9mm MP w/3.5 barrel is pretty cool.

Here's the deal: 20X more 'stuff' for the Glock. 33 rd mags!, Threaded barrels!, Compensated barrels (why one would need this on a '9' is beyond me).

Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This.

Also, like above mentioned, G19 is good.

As far as the Glock exploding like also mentioned above... Dont let that sway you, it is highly unlikely that it will happen if you properly check your cases if you reload.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I guess I could consider that, even though I have had this avatar since I joined
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

lol
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:22:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah, don't piss him off.  He might throw you down a driveway or something.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

+1

and G19 or either of the M&P 9's
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1

and go see how the G19 feels in your hands   edit: pay special attention to the way the gun points in your hand..some don't like the grip angle, but I find the glocks to be quite comfortable and ergonomic for me.

Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:22:32 PM EDT
[#13]
GLOCK.........great pistol or greatest pistol?
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I could consider that, even though I have had this avatar since I joined

He's not the guy you want to be mistaken for, unless you like constant harrassment about throwing things down the driveway or being called Sir.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

Ya beat me to it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:22:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thats N_T's troll account...I mean asking about glocks in GD???

The plus on the M&P is the changable grip.  They shoot good too.  I'm not to fond of the trigger.

The plus on the glock is reliability, they shoot good too.  The downside is the trigger.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#17]
You're not N_T!

Try a Glock 19
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:24:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

well it's GLOCK Perfection™ of course!
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a G19 for carry purposes and like it.  I've had it for a long time.
But, I've heard good things about the S&W products.  There are a lot of nice, high quality pistols out now.  Pick one that you like.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#20]
alot of people are saying the Glock 19. Have any of you guys shot an M&P? If so, could you compare the two. anything about one or the other that kinda annoyed you?  Also one thing I like about the M&P is that it has steel novak sights. I dont think that the Glocks do, but I might be mistaken
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:27:07 PM EDT
[#21]
You can get them with steel trijcon night sights, or many other aftermarket sights much better than the plastic that comes on them.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:27:34 PM EDT
[#22]
G19

Pay no attention to the haters and their BS.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

"No way. Why should I change? He's the one who sucks."

Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#24]
M&P has a crap trigger & IIRC a Mag disconnect= awe hell no

Glock has a plethora of aftermarket doodads including trigger kits.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:34:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Go hold both, and if you can, rent both and shoot first. You'll be able to tell which you like better. They are very similar, for me, I like the glock better. A 17 would be the closest to the MP9, and the 26 would be close to the MP9C. The 19 is in between. I love my 19, it is my fav range gun.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I like my Glocks but I love my Springfield XD.

Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#27]
G26 is the way to go...much more gear, threaded barrels, 33 rd mags...
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#28]
The M&P9 and 9c would be like a 17 or 17c.  If you wanted a slightly smaller gun, then get a 19 or 19c.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#29]
M&P feels better in the hand, particularly for a 1911 fan (which I am). However, the trigger of the Glock is FAR superior IMHO. I chose to modify the grip of a Glock to give me the feel I need rather than put up with the piss-poor M&P trigger. By the way, I do own both, and the M&P9 has been relegated to use by my son only because its adjustable to fit his small hand.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:51:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

neither
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Your parents are going to give you a Glock?

Do they not love you or something?
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#32]
I own a 21 and a 34. Instead of the 21 I wish I would hav epicked up a 30, yeah the 45 is lil more expensive to shoot but the 30 is such an amzing little package
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Ok so I turn 21 in about a week. I will be getting a pistol from my parents for my birthday but I havent fully decided which one yet. I really love the S&W M&P9 and M&P9c. I have shot them a few times and really like them, however I always hear people rave about glocks.  So what model glocks are similar to the previous mentioned S&W's.  With everything I hear about glocks, I would like to atleast grip one and see how it feels and hopefully shoot one, before I make my decision.  Also as far as he M&P series go, how would you guys rate them compared to glocks?

My first reaction was "WTF is N_T's malfunction this time?"

That avatar is gonna cause you some problems around here

Having said that, I was just contemplating what a piece of awesomeness my G17 is.  I prefer it to the 19 but that's just me; I'll prolly get a 19 too eventually.  I've held a few M&Ps, and while they aren't bad, I don't think they do anything that Glocks don't.  Just for the record, I have a few USPs from when I was a H&K fan, a whole lot of time on the Beretta M9, good familiarity with the XD, and have tried a whole bunch of other crap.  If I could only have one gun, I'd keep my Glock 20.

That's about all I can say.  Fuck the haters and forget the koolaid drinkers on either side.  Most importantly, THE FACT THAT GLOCKS ARE GOOD FOR ME DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE RIGHT FOR YOU.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

this

oh and if you like the M&P stay with it, I think the Glock is a step down. Although I think the XD series is worth a look.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Your parents are going to give you a Glock?

Do they not love you or something?

They are going to buy me a pistol, I get to pick which one
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#36]
What's your primary use for it?  If you plan to carry it that's one tihng.  Just a range gun, might be a different choice.

Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:59:00 PM EDT
[#37]
I say this in a helpful way.  I am not bashing Glocks.
Glocks, and pistols with Glock-like triggers, are disproportionately susceptible to accidents when the finger accidentally rests on the trigger.  You said you are 21, so I'm guessing you have not been handling guns for 30 years.  There are a lot of people out there who swear they never put their fingers on the trigger, but they do it without realizing it.  They get offended and indignant if somebody says "Keep your finger off the trigger."  They say "Do you think I'm an idiot?  How dare you remind me of a basic thing like that?"  They never realize it until they shoot themselves in the leg.  Please, become fanatical about keep your trigger finger straight alongside the frame, all the time.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 7:02:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

oh and if you like the M&P stay with it, I think the Glock is a step down. Although I think the XD series is worth a look.

What about the glock makes you consider it a step down?

Oh and just so everyone knows, I understand what feels right to one person, wont necessarily feel right to another. I am just asking about things that you wont necessarily notice from just picking up the gun for a couple minutes. Maybe things that have a tendency to malfunction or things that at first you didnt notice, but after some time of carrying it, it started to bother you
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 7:03:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What's your primary use for it?  If you plan to carry it that's one tihng.  Just a range gun, might be a different choice.

I plan on carrying it. It will be my only carry piece for the time being bc it will be the first pistol I will own
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Buy what you like and what feels best to you . Glock does have a proven track record, only time will tell with the M&P.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 7:07:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Glocks, and pistols with Glock-like triggers, are disproportionately susceptible to accidents when the finger accidentally rests on the trigger.  You said you are 21, so I'm guessing you have not been handling guns for 30 years.  There are a lot of people out there who swear they never put their fingers on the trigger, but they do it without realizing it.  They get offended and indignant if somebody says "Keep your finger off the trigger."  They say "Do you think I'm an idiot?  How dare you remind me of a basic thing like that?"  They never realize it until they shoot themselves in the leg.  Please, become fanatical about keep your trigger finger straight alongside the frame, all the time.

Thats exactly the type of info I was looking for. See I have been around all sorts of guns including pistols since I was very young, however never glock type pistols. My dad is a big ruger fan, so its always been ruger P90's and P89's and such and a few makarov's as far as semi-autos go in my upbringing.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 7:11:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Glock 19 or 23

/Thread
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 7:14:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats exactly the type of info I was looking for. See I have been around all sorts of guns including pistols since I was very young, however never glock type pistols. My dad is a big ruger fan, so its always been ruger P90's and P89's and such and a few makarov's as far as semi-autos go in my upbringing.

Don't listen to that  bullshit.  Of course a gun will shoot if you pull the trigger.  ANY gun will.  Resting your finger on the Glock trigger will not make it fire.  You have to pull the trigger.  Saying it is more likely to happen with a Glock is asinine.  My first gun was a Glock 36.  I had no experience with any other handguns.  It was the first handgun I had ever touched.  I've never had a ND or AD.  Go to the range, rent a few guns, find out which one feels best and buy it.

You are asking a question that can't be answered.  You must answer it.

As far as quality and reliability goes, you CAN'T beat a Glock 19.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Glock 19 would be my first choice. I ve been through hell with mine and never had any KB.
Glock 26 if you want something a little smaller, but IMO, its not worth the ammo sacrifice and other factors.

I like the M&P 9c also, running a close second, I think if you got the Glock, you wouldnt go wrong.

AS far as shooting goes, the Glock feels, points and shoots much better for me, I am very accurate with my 19, some may tell you they "Are not accurate" I beg to differ. If you do your part, you can punch the same hole, and double taps keep extremely close also after practice.

The reason I love the 19 vs the M&P, Parts availability, Glock warranty and CS. I can call and get whatever parts i need like springs if ever needed no questions asked, no charge, free swag too.

Upgrades, I love the sandpaper grips vs anything else. The Tungsten guide rods make a huge difference in felt recoil and muzzle flip. After your spring wears, they will just send you a free one and you install it. Night sight choices, and many others. Besides these, all you need is lots of ammo and lots of mags, a good holster, and a local range.

Obviously, I am partial to the Glock, I own 5, 2 have been through motorcycle accidents, sand, freezers, swamp water, job site tool boxes and tool bag carry, and never failed to go bang. I own a M&P 9sc also, but I still carry a Glock Daily for CPL
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 7:27:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#49]
It takes forever to get dressed to shot a Glock.

I have yet to find a Glock that fit my hand well, except the G34. The M&P 9 and 40 have slimmer grips it seems to me.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 7:28:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top