Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2002 12:16:40 PM EDT
Perhaps I'm just naive (and I know some of you would agree with that [;)]), but I was quite surprised by a hospital bill I received recently.

What happened is that I injured myself in an accident and went to a local hospital's emergency room for treatment.  The care I received consisted of a quick screening in the ER (a nurse asked me a few questions and took my blood pressure) and a four sutures by a doctor in the "Urgent Care" area to close a small laceration of my scalp.  There were no X-rays, MRIs, or other fancy diagnostic tests; it was just a few minutes of work for a doctor with a needle and thread to stitch me up.  The only drugs used were a shot of some sort of local anaesthetic and whatever antiseptics were used to cleanse the wound.

How much would you expect the above treatment to cost?  (BTW, I'm not complaining -- the doctor did a great job and I don't expect to have any out-of-pocket costs for this.)

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:18:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll take a stab at it (pun intended) and say $450.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:18:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm guessing $500.

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#3]
at least a couple of hundred. several of them.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Since ERs are the solution of choice for people without insurance (takers), it is up to you (producers) to pay for your treatment, and theirs.  As such, your bill for 4 sutures can run as high as $600 (let me know of I'm correct), while the crack whore can save her cash for another rock.  Sorry, man.  That's just the way it is.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:25:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I will guess $1,200.
ER bills are always a real shocker.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I will guess $1,200.
View Quote

Jesus Christ.  Don't you ever watch "The Price is Right"?
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I will guess $1,200.
View Quote

Sounds right to me.  My last hospital visit was around $16k.  But I had CT Scan, MRI, and a whole bunch of other test as well as a weeks stay.  But I remember how each item listed was outrageous.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#8]
It would be free if you were on medicare.  You just paid THEIR bills too!
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I will guess $1,200.
View Quote

Jesus Christ.  Don't you ever watch "The Price is Right"?
View Quote

$1
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:36:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow, you guys are good.  I was expecting around $200 but it was actually $527.

The market for medical care is an odd beast indeed.  In fact, it's really not much of a "market" at all since consumers don't have enough information to do any real "shopping".  And then there's also the fact that the people receiving the care often aren't the ones paying for it (at least not directly).  And then there are all the obstacles for providers to entering the market -- it's not as if hospitals can pop up as easily as, say, Wal-Mart stores or McDonalds can.  

At least Hillary never got to make things worse. [BD]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:37:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:39:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds about right.I had a hospital bill of 289,000 in 1985.that just the hospital,not the idependent contractors bill.Which is about everyone walking around.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:41:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wow, you guys are good.  I was expecting around $200 but it was actually $527.

]
View Quote

I win!!!!!!!!!!1 I win!!!!!!!!!!!!I'm the closest without overbidding!!!!!!!!!

Uhhh, but WHAT did I win????

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:47:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Garandman, you win the respect and admiration of your fellow AR15.com members... not that you didn't already have it.  [:D]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:55:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Garandman, you win the respect and admiration of your fellow AR15.com members... not that you didn't already have it.  [:D]
View Quote

Well, OK, that's nice too....

...but I was hoping more for one firearm of my choice from each of the members collections.

[:D]

Well, since that didn't work out, I'll take teh 'respect and admiration" thing.

[:D]

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 4:55:24 PM EDT
[#16]
You have to pay extra for those who don't have insurance.  AND who said we don't have socialized medical care?   AIN'T America great?

You pay out the A$$ for insurance and some bum gets a free ticket.  Don't it chap you right in the .....
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Just wait until you are unemployed with no insurance at all, just like me, and have to turn to using the "When There Is No Doctor", "Emergency War Surgery" books along with medical supplies accumulated from fun shows.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:49:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:22:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Actually though high, it's par for the course.

My son's mosh pit accident to the scalp got him about $350 and all he got was a dressing and a tetanus shot.  5 min face time with the doc.  Of course it was 2 hours to get to the exam room and another 30 min wait there.

Even the ER staff is often outsourced, so you could a separate bill from them as well as any radiologist, pathologist, surgeon, or your regular MD if they see you there.  All of this depends on your condition.

The costs of the hospital infrastructure and staffing are very high, whether that one extra patient (you) walks in or not.  Those costs have to be spread around,  Which might explain the fiction of charging $9.50 for a tylenol and other war stories.

So did they ask if you have guns?

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:33:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Of course it was 2 hours to get to the exam room and another 30 min wait there.
View Quote

It was the other way around for me: 30 minutes from the time I walked in the building until I went to the exam room, then a 2 hour wait in the exam room to see the doctor.  I was tempted to turn the lights out so I could take a nap. [sleep]

So did they ask if you have guns?
View Quote

Nope.  But they were wondering why my head was wrapped in aluminum foil. [:D]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:48:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Renamed, you got it right. No competition no check on cost. You enter in some requirement to get bids you will see cost spiral down. Never goin to happen though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top