Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2009 11:45:18 AM EDT
Say you don't have a membership to Sams Club.

Can you borrow one of your family members membership cards to go and purchase something you want without them going with you?
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 11:47:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Can you borrow one of your family members membership cards to go and purchase something you want without them going with you?

There's a picture of them on the card.

I think you can get a free one day pass to try it out though.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 11:52:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a picture of them on the card.

I think you can get a free one day pass to try it out though.

ohhhhhh.    

Link Posted: 3/9/2009 11:53:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Ask and you shall receive...

http://ingoodhands.com/sams.pdf

*it'll open in a PDF and good until March 31, 2009
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 11:54:35 AM EDT
[#4]
They allow you to have an additional person on the account (if they don't already have one).  Ask them to add you and you'll get your own card.  A friend and I did this and we just trade off renewing from the year to year.  $30 every 2 years makes the deal even better.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 11:57:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Awesome!

Thank you.      
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 12:00:52 PM EDT
[#6]

I can't remember the last time they checked mine.  I once used a (black female) coworker's card when I lost mine and no one said anything.

For some reason others couldn't use my card reliably though (I think because it was a credit card too), so I smudged the picture unrecognizable with a pencil eraser.

Link Posted: 3/9/2009 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I can't remember the last time they checked mine.  I once used a (black female) coworker's card when I lost mine and no one said anything.

For some reason others couldn't use my card reliably though (I think because it was a credit card too), so I smudged the picture unrecognizable with a pencil eraser.

Around here, they take your Sam's Club card at the checkout and like said before, your picture's on it... maybe they wouldn't say anything.. I'll have to try it and see...
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 12:18:37 PM EDT
[#8]
noone has said anything when my roommate or g/f borrow mine.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#9]
My mom aded me to her account and they gave me my own card with my picture on it.   When she renews it renews my account.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#10]

just flash the card real quick when you walk in.  they usually have handicapped and/or mentally challenged people working the door at the one where i live.

they might give you a hassle at the check out but i think they'd rather have people buying stuff rather than telling them no.

Link Posted: 3/9/2009 12:27:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got a Marine haircut and borrowed a card from a co worker who looks like Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top and who is about 15 years older than me.  The girl looked at the card, looked at me, and rang up my purchase.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 12:31:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Around here, they take your Sam's Club card at the checkout and like said before, your picture's on it... maybe they wouldn't say anything.. I'll have to try it and see...

At ours, you just flash the card as you walk in and they're good.  But, if you're using someone else's card, I would pay cash.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 12:39:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I worked for sams club for 2 years while I was in college.  And when I first started I was a cashier... If you make it in the door you will most likely be ok. 95% of people won't give you any trouble for using someone else's membership.  Because 1: They aren't paid well enough to care, and also I and many others aren't that big of dicks to turn you away after you have already spent an hour or more of you're time picking out your items and putting them on the conveyor belt.  There's no way I could turn someone away at that point.  Especially with business memberships as well, since there is a clause where other employees of the business who might not be pictured on the card are authorized to use it.  The only time I would ever say anything was when it was obviously not the customer's card and it was a credit membership AND THEY WERE TRYING TO USE THAT PERSON'S SAM'S CREDIT CARD AS THEIR METHOD OF PAYMENT.  Because I believe that could mean possible legal ramifications for me personally if I knowingly allowed someone to use someone else's credit card.  That is the only time I and most employees would ever ask any questions.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 12:42:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet we go to the same one.

This one takes it at checkout, regardless of paying in cash.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 12:48:47 PM EDT
[#15]
if it's anything like Costco, then no.

Costco requires the credit card name to match membership name. Same with checks. You might be able to get away with if you're paying cash.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 1:23:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a card years ago that I got at a Sam's near where I worked at the time.  One day I went in there with 2 months left on it, and they confiscated the card as the store was to be closed a month later.  I was at the checkout and the cashier wouldn't ring me up and told me to go to customer service.  At customer service they simply confiscated the card and told me to have a nice day.

I paid for 12 months and got 10, then my card was taken away and black-holed.  I never went back to any Sam's after that.  The card had never been loaned out and I had always paid cash, so no bounced checks were involved.  No "violations" of any kind.

Link Posted: 4/22/2009 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I printed off one of these and went shopping. It worked great.    

Are there any more out there like this, but have not expired? I would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me to a new one.

Link Posted: 4/22/2009 6:57:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are there any more out there like this, but have not expired? I would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me to a new one.

You can walk in with someone else's and pay with cash.  I've used my mom's card before and as long as you pay with cash, they don't verify the info to the card.
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 7:10:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can walk in with someone else's and pay with cash.  I've used my mom's card before and as long as you pay with cash, they don't verify the info to the card.

Really... Hmmm... I'll have to try that see what happens. I mean, I could do the same thing, barely show them my ID when I walk in, then at the cash register, say "I'm paying in cash"

Silas: I'll look around again and see if I can find on for you BRB

Link Posted: 4/23/2009 7:20:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Silas: Are you in college? for $25-ish you can get a memebership
College Memebership at Sam's
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 7:29:20 AM EDT
[#21]
just use self checkout. my brother uses mine all the time.
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 7:33:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 7:44:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Yes you can.  The door greeter never looks at the card closely, just wants to see the card.  The cashier puts the card immediately into her keyboard card reader slot, and does not remove it until after the transaction.

It would take someone who takes his job too seriously to even notice.  99.9% of all people who use someone else's card probably get away with it.  The picture quality is very poor as well.
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really... Hmmm... I'll have to try that see what happens. I mean, I could do the same thing, barely show them my ID when I walk in, then at the cash register, say "I'm paying in cash"

Silas: I'll look around again and see if I can find on for you BRB

It's what I did for over a year at 3 different stores.  As long as you don't pay by check or CC, they don't have to verify the info to the card.  When you get to the register, they swipe your card for the transaction and hand it right back to you as you pay cash.  I've actually had cashiers say, "Thank you XX" and XX being my moms name.
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#25]
I've used my bosses and ny GF's . no problem . They just want the money . You really think they would pass up a sale $$
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 6:22:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I'll give it a try and see if it works.

If I do get one of the people who takes their job too seriously I hope he/she does not keep the card.

eta: I'm not college and I wouldn't use it enough to pay the $40.00/year membership fee. I only go in there once every 2-3 years.
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 6:31:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Not here.

I have used my wife's card, but I don't think they are supposed to allow me to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top