Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2002 4:45:57 PM EDT
I am wanting to get a folder for around $50. I was looking around and found these two that I like. What is your input? Thanks.

[img]http://www.shoptimax.com/ProductImages/5849.jpg[/img]
$45.68
[url]http://www.shoptimax.com/default.asp?SKU=5849&sx=0&dept_id=SPOGERBKN%2DB2&parent_id=SPO&page=4[/url]

[img]http://www.shoptimax.com/ProductImages/CR6763.jpg[/img]
$42.49
[url]http://www.shoptimax.com/default.asp?SKU=CR6763&sx=0&dept_id=SPOCRKTCO%2DB2&parent_id=SPO&page=4[/url]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I like my CRKT Point Guard like you have pictured. But I dont think you'll be diappointed with the Gerber either.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:11:59 PM EDT
[#2]
The Gerber has a little longer of a blade and I like the subdued blade look too.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:58:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I just bought a Point Guard and I really like it. The double locking set-up seems very secure. I got mine from www.discountknives.com; it was $34.78 shipped. I would definitely check them out before you buy anything, they seem to have great prices.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#4]
[img]http://www.worldwideknives.com/CRKT/M16LAWEN.jpg[/img]

any CRKT M16 series. they are mid 30s on some sites. they are tough as hell, and have a little knob thing on the front bottom of the blade, this opens them lightning fast
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:38:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll have to agree with the CRKT M-16 series of lock blades, but also take a look at the Cold Steel Voyager series as well.  My serrated Voyager is the equivalent to having a pocket chainsaw at my disposal!
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:03:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I got a Gerber Black Blade for Christmas, I reccommend it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#7]
not to go overbored on the M16. but its availabe in diffrent finishs, i have the zytel. its low 30s, and i have never handled a knife that felt as good.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:26:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's my favorite [:D][:D][:D]

[img]http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v3/7/84/63/27478463mRLsQODfIF_ph.jpg[/img]

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."

Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:51:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Strider is the top dog in military knives.  They are dominating the market and selling their knives to all sorts of soldiers and Marines.

Here's a good thread to check out:

[url]http://www.full-auto.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=000007[/url]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd spend the extra money and go with a Benchmade. I have had mine now for about 6 years and it is still my carry knife where ever I go. A knife is a lot like a gun you get what you pay for.

Ask yourself this what are you going to be using it for? Self defense? utility knife? Both?

If your just going for a knife that is going to be a utility (Cutting rope opening boxes everyday type stuff.) There are a lot out there that are far less then $50.00 that will get the job done.

Now if your looking for a self defense one that can also be a utility.You need to know a few things like how fast can you get it out and most important how much weight can the lock on the blade hold.

Now I have a story about this when I worked in a hospital in Chicago we had a guy come in who lost 4 out of 5 of his fingers. Why because he stabbed someone with a knife the guy who he stabbed buckled over and the knife's lock could not hold the weight of the guy and folded shut.

This is just something to think of. How much are your fingers worth?  
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#13]
One:

KA-BAR Marine Corp Fighting Knife. Or the TANTO.

Not a folder as the ones above, but a good knife and not all that expensive.

Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#14]
COLD STEEL (GUNSITE) the only way to go!
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 1:33:03 AM EDT
[#15]
AK-boy,

I have a Gerber almost identical to the one you posted, and I also have a couple of CRKT's.
I would without a doubt reccomend the CRKT over the Gerber. The Gerber is good, but the CRKT is just a little better IMO.

I'd go with Columbia River, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

EDITED TO ADD:

'IF' that Gerber is like mine, and has the rubber inserts along the handle, they are WORTHLESS at providing any better grip. The rubber they use is just WAY too hard to do any good.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:31:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I love my Benchmade/Emerson CQC-9, but for general messing around, I got a CKRT at a gun show for $15.00.
I wont feel too bad if I *F* it up anyway.
Dam nice knife for the $$$!!!
Eric
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:41:09 AM EDT
[#17]
If your looking for a folder, why not buy the the best steel, strongest lock and fastest opening, (fast as any switchblade w/ practice) it's called the Recon 1 and you can see them here : [url]www.coldsteel.com/[/url].

The guarantee is not bad either, you can pick one up at a gun-show for considerably less than the web-site price.

Mike

PS - I have 3 CRKs, all different and sorry to say all of them have lousy steel, which won't hold an edge for nothing, just my opinion though.

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:43:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Check out the Benchmade 845/835 Ascent. The 835 can be had for less than $50.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:51:53 AM EDT
[#19]
[img]http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/product_images/395/39706.jpg[/img]
$21.85
[url]http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?sku=39706&mscssid=R52SGPGURQC39PB6BP4W72H3HLAHDJQB[/url]
Knife Specifications
Blade - Overall Length: 2.25"
Cutting Edge: 2.25" Triple-Point Serrated Edge
Thickness: 0.10"
Steel: AUS 6M
Rockwell Hardness: 55-57 HRC
Handle - Closed Length: 3.5"
Weight: 2.2 oz.

I have this one which I use as a money clip.  It fits nicely in my pocket and does not attract attention (my job has a policy....)
I seem to have misplaced it last night working around the house, I'm feeling the same as when I don't have the car keys in my pocket.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:56:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If your looking for a folder, why not buy the the best steel, strongest lock and fastest opening,
View Quote

Oh, you must be refering to the Emerson Commander EK-501.  The fastest opening knife on the world (non-automatic that is).  By the way, Cold Steel has nothing on a good quality, custom knife.  Cold Steel is a perfect "throw down" knife though.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:09:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:17:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Blackdog714 - you've obviously never viewed their video tape, checked out the Recon 1 for opening speed or dressed & quartered several deer and hogs all at one time.

Mike

PS - I have several Emersons, I like the different steels used by Lynn T, San Mai III and Carbon 5 are patented and only my old late 70s tooled steel Gerber Guardian II is comparable for edge holding.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Now I have a story about this when I worked in a hospital in Chicago we had a guy come in who lost 4 out of 5 of his fingers. Why because he stabbed someone with a knife the guy who he stabbed buckled over and the knife's lock could not hold the weight of the guy and folded shut.
View Quote

How did the blade fold shut if it was stuck inside someone's body?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:43:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Mr Wilson, the Commander series of knives, are open as soon as they leave your pocket.  There is a little hook on the blade that opens the knife as you draw it.  The Recon 1 can not be faster, because you have to draw it, then open it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:16:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Go and buy an LEGP knife....

[:D]

(for 5 bucks extra, they will engrave a picture of Goatboy on the blade!)

[img]web-comm.com/ar15/ar15knives.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

The lock broke.  I have seen it happen on several knives.  The back locking knives are notorious for it (ie Buck folding knives).
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:27:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Go for the CRKT.  I've had several and they have all been very good knives for the money.  

The Gerber folders I have owned (3 or 4) never did hold an edge worth a damn.

I am too hard on my knives to buy good ones.  I use them as prybars, screwdrivers, wire cutters, shovels, you name it.

Plus, I would feel awful if I lost a $100 Benchmade.

I just find a cheap Chinese knife I can live with, and buy them by the dozen.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

It was not in the guy all the way the guy had some 8 inch folding knife and only got about 3 to 4 of it in with the guy buckled.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top