Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2002 5:31:25 PM EDT
I am working late in my office and my wife just called and screamed into the phone, "Get over here, there is a bat in the house!"  You would have thought there was a serial rapist in the house the way she was screaming into the phone.  So Mr. Stud here comes home to the rescue and gets his 22 rifle, loads it with a shotshell and blasts that thing off the door it was hanging from which incidently was the entrance to our bedroom spraying bat parts and blood all over the bed.  Darn, was hoping to celebrate our love tonight but I can tell that the mood has been lost.

Well, at least she saw her knight in shining Ruger 10/22 in all his glory tonight!

patsue
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#1]
opppssss
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#2]
And here I thougt you wiped your privates on her curtains after celebrating your love!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Great, know she will not let you buy anything more powerfull then .22
With her knowledge, that is. [;)]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:02:13 PM EDT
[#4]
How much was the bat and where did you get it? [:D]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am working late in my office and my wife just called and screamed into the phone, "Get over here, there is a bat in the house!"  You would have thought there was a serial rapist in the house the way she was screaming into the phone.  So Mr. Stud here comes home to the rescue and gets his 22 rifle, loads it with a shotshell and blasts that thing off the door it was hanging from which incidently was the entrance to our bedroom spraying bat parts and blood all over the bed.  Darn, was hoping to celebrate our love tonight but I can tell that the mood has been lost.

Well, at least she saw her knight in shining Ruger 10/22 in all his glory tonight!

patsue
View Quote

Should have called the animal control people, if there are any available, and let them snare or net it. Bats are small creatures that really don't bother anybody, Boris Karloff movies notwithstanding. If no professionals are available, just put a towel or blanket over your head to protect against bites or scratches, barge into your room and open the window-the scared bat will sense the opening, and get the flock outta there.

Sheesh- whattamess.....pee-eew! Your cleaning bills are going to be biiiig....

"What do you want us to steam-clean out of your bedroom, sir? Bat guts? Hmmm.... shouldn't we call in a hazmat team on this- might be rabies present, ya know...." [:D]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmm

Bats eat about 1/4 of their wieght in mosquitoes every night...

Thanks for helping those damned bloodsuckers!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:30:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe the bat [i]was[/i] a serial rapist. Your quick response was just in time. Another minute and he would have trans-morphed into his human form.
You and your wife are very lucky. I've seen the results of vampire rapes. Shudder!!
[dracula]  
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:40:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
And here I thougt you wiped your privates on her curtains after celebrating your love!!
View Quote

Ewwwwww
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I um, sort of have to agree with Aimless here.  

You felt the need to use a [i]firearm[/i] for little 4 ounce bat rather than something like a little towel because?...

Man, good thing a stray duck didn't wander into your place.  "Hmm, let's see.  What would be appropriate here?  Yes!  The 30-06!  Stand back dear!"

[;)]

CMOS
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Game Warden: Sir may I see your BAT tag please?
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 8:23:11 PM EDT
[#14]
MURDERER!

Bats make very good pets and are as intelligent as dogs.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I um, sort of have to agree with Aimless here.  

You felt the need to use a [i]firearm[/i] for little 4 ounce bat rather than something like a little towel because?...

Man, good thing a stray duck didn't wander into your place.  "Hmm, let's see.  What would be appropriate here?  Yes!  The 30-06!  Stand back dear!"

[;)]

CMOS
View Quote

ROTFLMAO!
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Uhh... I just find it ironic that us Law Enforcement types get bashed as trigger-happy jack-booted thugs.

I have handled many a "bat call" at night when Animal Control won't or can't come out and someone is absolutely terrified of the some poor winged rodent that got trapped in their house.

Want to know a little secret? The bat doesn't want to be stuck in your house any more than you want to get it out.

Next time a bat gets trapped in your domicile, open some windows (take the screens off if they are up) and open your doors. The bat will usually be on the wall or ceiling. Give the wall next to the bat a tap with a broom or a mop (or a baton, but be gentle on the sheetrock). The bat will start flying, and through the miracles of the bat's echolocation (natural sonar), the bat will usually find its way back outside within a minute or so.This works almost every time unless the bat is very sick.

Also, if the bat is stationary on the ground it is probably sick. If it is a sick bat, it is probably infected with rabies, which can be spread by fluid contact with unbroken skin. If that is the case, let Animal Control Officers get it. That is why you pay taxes (whether you agree with paying taxes or not). Your best bet is to contain it. Drop a wastebasket over it. If you have a compelling need to get it out of your residence and Animal Control can't get there any time soon, slide a piece of cardboard under the upside down can and carefully carry the whole unit outside.

Regardless of what kind of load you were using, discharging a firearm inside of the house was not a very smart thing to do under those circumstances, and the bat posed no direct harm to you. It did not need to be killed.

Link Posted: 1/5/2002 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

[;)]

CMOS
View Quote

I think a #5 shot 3"Magnum 12 gauge would be more appropriate for a duck.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:03:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I used to be the designated bat catcher at my last place of work. I'd put a clear plastic tub (tupperware works) over the bat and slide the lid between the wall or ceiling until I had the little guy. I understand that most bats have such small jaws and teeth that they are rarely a biting threat. Now in Houston, where mosquitos rule the town during much of the year, the last thing I'd want to do is whack a hungry bat.

But in the heat of com-bat you have to do what you have to do...
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 1:53:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Put on some work gloves and catch the bat next time girly man.

Or do like natez said and open up all your windows and let it fly out on it's own.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 1:58:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Didn't you see the movie "Great Outdoors" with John Candy and Dan Akroyd?  You've got to use a tennis racket and bass net to catch those things.  Blasting your own house...well at least you had some fun.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 3:43:22 AM EDT
[#21]
You should have loaded up the AR with a C-mag, and shot the house full of holes........using tracers, of course. A .22?! What were you thinking?
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 4:08:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Where I used to work, was a huge warehouse and offices, a bat somehow flew thru one of those huge open doors.  It scarced the bat $hit out of me one nite to hear some noise where you know there was no one but you. Found an injured bat, but I didn't want to touch it because it could have been sick and I didn't have gloves, so it got away.  Some woman found it in an offices next door the next morning, animal control removed it.  It freaked those women out too. Bats eat 10 times their body weight in insects, of all the species of bats, only very few actually bite.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:02:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Not to be taken seriously:

[joke] Anytime the wife says it's ok shoot guns in the house, is a good day [/joke] [:)]

I'm also sure there's a "you might be a redneck....." joke in there somewhere. [:)]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:40:48 AM EDT
[#24]
My mother once called me screaming in my ear telling me to get over to get a snake out of her house. One of her cats had brought in a live garter snake. It was funny to see her get so wound up about a half dead snake.

I just picked it up with a towell and threw it out the door.

Even funnier was my hunting buddy who had a giant raccoon in his basement, he tried to herd it out of the house, but that coon was defiant.
So he took a .22 pistol and shot it in the head. Blood and guts everywhere, his wife was so pissed. Plus the other Raccoons in the neighborhood must have gotten piised beacuse a couple months later when he was in his hottub, a family of them came up and watched him from the edge.
Very unnerving seeing those sharp teeth & claws while you are naked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top