Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2002 11:26:49 AM EDT
We are going on a cruise in late march. I hope to slip away and dive in Nassau, Bahamas.
8am to Midnight.

We will also be beached for a day at Cococay, Bahamas (Royal Caribbean Cruise Line private island)this will be an 8am to 5pm stop.

Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated. How much of my own gear should I carry, trips not to miss, places to avoid etc.

Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:40:38 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have a nice regulator you are used to I would bring it.

I usually bring my mask/fins/snorkel/BCD/regulator which has a dive computer on it. I am used to my own stuff though and have seen some pretty ratty rentals.

Pick up a copy of Rodales Scuba Diving, they have tons of suggestions on where to go and where to advoid.

There used to be some shark feeding dives and there is a morey eel feeder there. Can't remeber the name of the big wreck every one dives. Been a long time since I was in the Bahamas, usually dive further south in the Carribean.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 1:42:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't diving at night kinda make you shark bait? When we skinned dived at Catalina as kids, they always made us come in before dark to avoid being eaten. :)
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a good suggestion, but, I [i]MUFFed[/i] it...
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 4:33:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#5]
For a wierd trip right in your own backyard (almost) go and dive the Bonn Terre (spell?) mine in Missouri.

Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For a wierd trip right in your own backyard (almost) go and dive the Bonn Terre (spell?) mine in Missouri.

View Quote

I've got that one on my list for this summer.

I picked up a copy of Rodale's today and am looking it over.

Busmaster 007: I have multiple night dives planned along those lines. [sex][sex][sex][sex]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 8:44:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:07:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Everytime I bring my reg in my carry on, I get raped by security... all before 9/11 too.  It's worth the hassle, I sure wouldn't check anything that expensive down below.  I have seen some absolutely horrible rental gear, mostly in mexico and jamiaca though.  It is worth bringing your own.  Hate to ruin a dive because your rental craps out at 100 feet.  

Have fun!
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you like it?  Or was it just weird?

I ask because it's pretty close, but I've spoken to people who did it and thought it was pretty lame.

What's your verdict?
View Quote

I liked it but then again I am a history buff so it was multi-dimensional pleasure.

---

I think it should be preserved.

Link Posted: 1/6/2002 4:19:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you like it?  Or was it just weird?

I ask because it's pretty close, but I've spoken to people who did it and thought it was pretty lame.

What's your verdict?
View Quote

I liked it but then again I am a history buff so it was multi-dimensional pleasure.

---

I think it should be preserved.

View Quote

My old book keeper has made the Bonn Terre Dive several times. He told me it was a good trip. Anyone interested, maybe we can hook up this summer and find out.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 4:51:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Doesn't diving at night kinda make you shark bait? When we skinned dived at Catalina as kids, they always made us come in before dark to avoid being eaten. :)
View Quote

... Kinda, but the adrenaline rush will certainly jazz the sh|t out of you! Successful "bug" hunts take place at night.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top