Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2002 11:01:22 AM EDT
Thanks for your input.

I am trying to help out a buddy.

My friend was in the service prior for three years.  He was kicked out on an OTH, with an RE-4.  I told him he would never get back in, but somehow he got a waiver from the Army national Gaurd and now he is on his way.  He wants me to pick your brain and find out if he can try to get into the regular ARMY after he does some time in the Gaurd.  Anyone think this may be possible?  Again, I never thought he would get this far, but he did, and God bless him...he has guts, and guts is all he needs.

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Anything is possible, but then again it depends on why he got his OTH, and it largely depends on the mood of the officer making the decision.

Personally, if I was the reviewing officer, I'd tell him to take a hike. The military already has it's share of idiots.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Death:  Thanks, understand, he won't talk about the discharge, other than to say it was for marijuana.  Keep in mind this was 1984.  He is not that kind of person now.  I have known him for three years and he has never once mentioned drugs.  While he isn't  a genius, he is a real down to earth guy who seems to want to serve his country honorably...I can respect that.  Since his discharge, he has graduated with a BA, and has held jobs for years at a time...claims what got him in the National Gaurd was his recommendation letters from his employers, church, and school.  
Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I know a soldier who was kicked out for a pos drug test, also mary jane, I believe. He managed to get into a guard unit. This was also in the 80s. Last I saw he is a 1SG of a regular army unit. I even saw his picture as their First Shirt on their web site. He is on active duty now and will retire when the time comes I guess. When I knew him he was a first termer and a doper. People change, grow up whatever. Tell your friend good luck. E mail me and I may be able to contact him to find out how he did it. Naturally I will not disclose his name. John (US Army, retired) "We are from the government and we are here to help you"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top