Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/12/2009 6:55:32 PM EDT
So I've brewed beer and wine. Copenhagen is 4-5 dollars per ounce (or 1.2oz), I estimate i use 25-30 pounds a year. So if i plant a couple rows 70' long, that should give me plenty enough for personal use and/or trail & error. Maybe even twist a few up to give to friends around the holidays. Gotta be better than the mass produced stuff.

What's the scoop? Anyone doing this?
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 7:01:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Hhmmm.

Good question.

In a truly free country you should be able to do it without any problems.

But since we live in a Nation less free than the one our Founders envisioned, I'm sure there is a law against it.

IIRC there is another plant that the government doesn't like so much.

Tag for info...
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never worked any tabacco fields but I have had friends from NC who did. From what I understand it's a pretty dirty, sticky and time consuming process. Not only processing the leaves buy cultivating them. Tabacco will leech your soil like there is no tomorrow. You would have to do crop rotation quite often.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, well... restrictions against home growing were lifted in 2005.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/AA260
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 7:11:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Having worked in tobacco as a youngster; you're better off buying the stuff.
It is a pain in the ass, dirty, and sticky.  I smoked for a number of years, but never contemplated smoking the home-grown.
Nasty!

B_S
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 7:14:17 PM EDT
[#5]
If it's possible through hydroponics, I'd be insanely curious.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#6]
You also need a shed for drying/curing.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 7:19:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

+1

Ive wondered about it too. I think if I had it hydro or heat lamp grown in march, then plant it outside I could fit it into a Illinois growing season.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 7:23:57 PM EDT
[#9]
They grow in CT also. From what I hear it is mostly for the outside wrapper on cigars. I expect it might be a special kind and truthfully don't know much about it.
Seed? plants started indoors and transplanted?

I might guess that you might be better off putting in the time and effort to grow some other crop (that is proven to work at your location) and take the profits and spend on comercial smokes. Proven crop,local guys with the knoweledge to help you?

But who knows?

Link Posted: 2/12/2009 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#11]
here in ga you can find chew that was home grown and flavored for a few dollars a pound.I would research that road first before growing it myself.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Having worked in tobacco as a youngster; you're better off buying the stuff.
It is a pain in the ass, dirty, and sticky.  I smoked for a number of years, but never contemplated smoking the home-grown.
Nasty!

B_S

I don't really see things as, hard, difficult, pain in the ass etc. Rather i just see it as how it is. I can be hard headed for some full flavor home grown tobacco. But the 1-2 years aging scares me, plenty time for something to go wrong.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 7:35:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Ive wondered about it too. I think if I had it hydro or heat lamp grown in march, then plant it outside I could fit it into a Illinois growing season.

My maternal grandfather was a teat jerker (dairy farmer) outside of Viola, Wisconsin in the 1930s thru 1957 and he had a "tobacco patch" where he grew tobacco used for cigars.  They didn't have heat lamps back then––nor eletricity to power them.  

Hmmm, I always figured because it was a southern thing that it needed a longer growing season.

I only know about growing corn and soybeans.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Cope is heading towards $9 a can over here......
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 7:38:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Talk about a good crop for barter if TSHTF.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

NINE FUCKING DOLLARS?!?!?!

I just paid 5 here about 30 minutes ago.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#17]
My dad picked up some tobacco plants in the Pennsylvania Dutch country. We moved to Florida shortly thereafter where he grew enough to roll a couple dozen of his own cigars. I am told the top leaves have a little bit of THC in them . . .
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

................!
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 7:54:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So I've brewed beer and wine. Copenhagen is 4-5 dollars per ounce (or 1.2oz), I estimate i use 25-30 pounds a year. So if i plant a couple rows 70' long, that should give me plenty enough for personal use and/or trail & error. Maybe even twist a few up to give to friends around the holidays. Gotta be better than the mass produced stuff.

You need allotments to grow tobacco in TN. I know local people sell their allotments to other growers every year. If you own land that doesn't have an allotment the only way to grow is by buying an allotment. This applies to farmers, not really sure how this applies to tobacco grown for personal use. Better check into it before you plant some because it is probably the most regulated plant here in TN.

Dolomite
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#20]
You fellers should just quit. It's not that difficult.

AB
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 7:59:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

You fellers should just quit. It's not that difficult.

AB

The man in your avatar smoked until he died, and I reckon I'm going to do the same.

Link Posted: 2/12/2009 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

What part of Illinois? Down here it grows well but then were not too far from Kentucky.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 8:05:34 PM EDT
[#23]
http://www.seedman.com/Tobacco.htm

It is getting popular in Europe to grow your own because of costs, I've seen some sites based out of there on how to do it. I hear that it is hard to do your own cigars, because of the wrapper, rolling it properly, and getting the tobacoo blend right.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I looked into it once and apparently it's insanely difficult to grow good tobacco on your own. You have to have the right soil for it and be able to cure it which is a long and arduous process. Wouldn't be worth the trouble and you'd probably end up with a bunch of low grade tobacco.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

What part of Illinois? Down here it grows well but then were not too far from Kentucky.

Between Peoria and the Quad Cities......so 7 hours north of ya.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 8:09:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Whaaa-aat?!

I don't dip but I am friends with quite a few guys that do. Last I heard it was still sub $5 a can.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 8:14:05 PM EDT
[#27]
I've planted, harvested and hung it for a couple bucks when I was a kid.  Big PITA.  

On a small scale...  I dunno.  The whole curing thing...
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 8:18:01 PM EDT
[#28]
The .gov doesn't want you growing it..........it cuts into their profits [taxes]
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 8:19:41 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a couple thousand seeds I ordered online. Haven't got around to planting any. Growing tobacco doesn't seem to be all that difficult. However, the curing is a whole different animal, that I really don't want to tackle.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 8:21:01 PM EDT
[#30]

What again?????? It's hard work,sticky,yucky??? WHAT THE FUCK    I love hard, dirty work, i'm sure you can count the pussies that will rat you out in this thread.   Stay with your clean day job girls and use your clean fingers to post on some sort of queer board.

Copenhagen can't be reproduced, grown entirely in Ky or N Tn., it is an affliction.PERIOD
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 9:45:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Good God, $9 bucks a can in Washington?  It's not that expensive in Hawaii!  Had a Navy buddy that picked up a log for me at the px before he came back.  I think the entire log (10 cans) was something like $20 bucks.  I have quit dipping since then but my brother still dips Copenhagen and in north Texas it's around $5.00 per can, cheaper if you buy a two-pack.

I had a toothache and didn't dip for about 5 days, when I realized it had been that long, I just waited out the other 2 days (takes 7 days for nicotine to completely leave the body) and haven't had a dip in 5 years.  Honestly, it wasn't as difficult as I thought it was going to be.  You boys should quit while you still have lips, tongues and throats that still work.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 10:01:29 PM EDT
[#32]
How about just... you know.. quitting.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 10:04:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/12/2009 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

How does this increase the enjoyment of homegrown tobacco? *scratches head*

Link Posted: 2/12/2009 10:18:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The .gov doesn't want you growing it..........it cuts into their profits [taxes]

It's Illegal in the state of KY to grow with out paying a tax
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
They grow in CT also. From what I hear it is mostly for the outside wrapper on cigars. I expect it might be a special kind and truthfully don't know much about it.
Seed? plants started indoors and transplanted?

I might guess that you might be better off putting in the time and effort to grow some other crop (that is proven to work at your location) and take the profits and spend on comercial smokes. Proven crop,local guys with the knoweledge to help you?

But who knows?

CT has some of the best shade out there. You can see it on the way to the BDL
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 10:25:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two packs of Merrits and a can of cope just cost me 19 dollars.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It doesn't. It completely circumvents the huge pain in the ass, while at the same time saves you money and dramatically reduces your chances of having 1/2 your face fall off from cancer.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 10:34:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It doesn't. It completely circumvents the huge pain in the ass, while at the same time saves you money and dramatically reduces your chances of having 1/2 your face fall off from cancer.

I'm still waiting for the day when people stop preaching the anti smoking bit. Its not like we don't know about the negative effects, its that we don't give a shit.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 10:34:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Whiskey tango foxtrot?  That is nearly a CAN PER DAY.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 10:36:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

its doable, when i wasn't in class most of the day i did one can every two days.

Link Posted: 2/12/2009 10:37:42 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, you're talking about dipping? I'm talking about smoking it.

Link Posted: 2/12/2009 10:37:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

its doable, when i wasn't in class most of the day i did one can every two days.

UNFUCKING REAL!  That is enough nicotine to kill you!  
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 10:39:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Tabacco will leech your soil like there is no tomorrow. You would have to do crop rotation quite often.

This is what I have heard as well. Which is one of the reasons the Founding Fathers owned so much land in the first place. I think it was Washington though, who was the first to start varying his crops though.

ETA: Informative site http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/AA260
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Just Do It !  Who cares anyway... Why ask this on the intrawebs?
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 10:46:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Just Do It !  Who cares anyway... Why ask this on the intrawebs?

Apparently the quotas were lifted in 2005, so anybody can grow how ever much they want.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 10:53:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

If your thinking SHTF barter goods, think pussy, booze, tobacco and drugs. That stuff will always be in demand.

Link Posted: 2/12/2009 10:57:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm still alive...

ETA; In fact, I've chewed two cans a day more than once.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 11:34:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm still alive...

ETA; In fact, I've chewed two cans a day more than once.

Not a damn thing wrong with that
ETA:

Link Posted: 2/12/2009 11:52:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Tobacco has been grown in Canada and Alaska.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top