Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 25
Posted: 2/11/2009 5:20:03 PM EDT
so i just got mine, and have some questions. like, where can i get an ARFCOM background? and good apps to download?
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 4:18:26 AM EDT
[#1]
nobody? i also need a place to get ringtones
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 4:20:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Go to the app store for apps...

I added an button to GD on mine and I like the orange boltface logo that shows up...thanks to whoever made it!
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 4:37:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I added an button to GD on mine and I like the orange boltface logo that shows up...thanks to whoever made it!

added what? where?
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 4:40:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 4:45:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Sweet, just added the little logo
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 5:11:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I never freakin knew that.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 5:15:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I just added the logo

Anyone have a suggested list of apps?
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 5:30:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just added the logo

I just have some games on mine, like iSniper and Duck Shoot, finger football is cool too.

There is a ballistic calculator floating around here too.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 5:35:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just added the logo

Ballistic
Surefire shot timer

For games I like fieldrunners and tapdefense

I also have:
Wikiamo
Tideapp
Darkroom

And a ton of other apps.

Also have a bunch of mods. Jailbreaking can allow you to do a ton more stuff. Add themes, cool programs, and little hacks. I can turn on location settings from inside any other app for example, or turn off my Edge service or watch my phone show up on my desktop and add and deletr files at will. Soon full bluetooth capabilities will be available.

Best mod so far was volume boost. I can listen to g gordon liddy podcasts at work without having to use headphones or plug in speakers.

Link Posted: 2/12/2009 5:37:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 5:42:16 AM EDT
[#11]
There is also an app that turns your phone into a level
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 5:46:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Apps, so many good ones around the app
store. Some free, some not

Say Who- voice dialer

Ebay and Amazon-mobile

Pandora and Iheart- Internet radio

Chop Sushi,Darts and Space Monkey-games

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 2/12/2009 5:50:29 AM EDT
[#13]
You definitely have to jailbreak, so easy and adds so much functionality and customization with winterboard and cydia.  Your best bet is to check out the apple section over at howardforums.com...its definitely the arfcom of cell phones.  Fwiw i'm typing this on my iphone at work.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 5:51:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I tested it in the QA lab at work yesterday.  It's decent for horizontal...within a tenth of a degree or so, but rotated up to 90 it's about 1.7 degrees off.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 5:58:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tested it in the QA lab at work yesterday.  It's decent for horizontal...within a tenth of a degree or so, but rotated up to 90 it's about 1.7 degrees off.

you can calibrate it..

try orb live. ..    watch live TV on your iphone.
also set shows to record so you can watch them latter ..  via your hard drive or on your iphone,
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 6:00:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 6:01:02 AM EDT
[#17]
I did calibrate it to a granite surface plate.  After calibration it would sometimes show .1 dgrees in the calibrated direction and up to 1.7 perpendicular to that.  Actually, I think I am wrong on that.  It was closer on the vertical, it was off 1.7 on the 45 measurement.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 6:07:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 6:10:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I've downloaded Pandora, Wikipanion, and RescueMe so far.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 6:20:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Larue put together some nice background pictures: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=219&t=164614
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 7:38:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can turn on location settings from inside any other app for example, or turn off my Edge service or watch my phone show up on my desktop and add and deletr files at will. Soon full bluetooth capabilities will be available.

As far as the phone showing up on your desktop, you're doing that on a Mac, right?  (Something like that needs to come around for the PC).

Tell me about the bluetooth capabilities and such, if you don't mind?

It shows up like any other drive on my network using netatalk which is an appletalk protocol. I do not know if it can work with pcs yet but you can set it up similarly using openssh and then you basically can do the same stuff. Retrieve files and photos, install apps, swap out the mobileinstallation file or iapd file etc.

The iPhones bluetooth is neutered. People thought that it was a hardwarelimitafion but it is appearing that it is actially a software limitation. I think the site is ibluetoothproject.org. They realeased a stumbler that can detect bluetooth signals from all devices as sort of a proof of concept and say that full functionality is not far away.

Other cool stuff you can do with a jailbroken phone:
Set it up to run as a wifi internet access point. Basically use it as a modem
Use Finder to manage files. It is pretty powerful and i had to restore once due to getting overzealous with file deletion

Run a terminal app
Download and save files
Download and save youtube videos
Emulate a nes

These and the apps on the appstore make the iphone a seriously powerful tool. I use it as a remore or wireless keyboard/mouse etc. You can also buy wifi video and play movies stored on your pc on your phone on your home network.

Link Posted: 2/12/2009 8:08:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 8:10:17 AM EDT
[#23]
tagscribe, it sounds like I need to add some of these to my phone
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 8:19:36 AM EDT
[#24]
I am posting from mine right now.

I am addicted to enigmo. It is pretty fun.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Looking at HackThatPhone.com right now.

Looks fairly easy... and I don't have anything else planned for today.

Hmmm...
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 8:30:43 AM EDT
[#26]
In for the hacking!
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 9:21:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Hmmm...

Quickpwn is the way to go.  It seemed like it took longer to download the program than to jailbreak the phone..
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Larue put together some nice background pictures: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=219&t=164614

Dumb Qestion:
How do I make these images my background on the iPhone ? Are the images you are talking about contained in that thread or do you have to get them somewhere else ?
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#29]
to make your personal images the background for your springboard you have to jailbreak and add winterboard through cydia. This will allow you to customize everything on the phone from icons to background to your dialers and keyboard.  There are some amazing themes people have designed already that look simply fantastic.  It is truly amazing the amount of functionality a jaolbroken phone has.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a ipod touch V1
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 10:16:38 AM EDT
[#31]

here's an arfcom background i made, although i use it for my boot logo and not the background.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 10:34:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm...

Quickpwn is the way to go.  It seemed like it took longer to download the program than to jailbreak the phone..

Wow, you're good. You answered my question before I even asked it!

Link Posted: 2/12/2009 10:51:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Man I lack all things tech when it comes to computers and phones. I have the original iphone, not 3G, and I checked out quickpwn and I have no idea what's going on. Could somebody skool me about what this does to my phone and if I can still use iTunes and crap if there is ever a problem.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Man I lack all things tech when it comes to computers and phones. I have the original iphone, not 3G, and I checked out quickpwn and I have no idea what's going on. Could somebody skool me about what this does to my phone and if I can still use iTunes and crap if there is ever a problem.

Try hackthatphone.com

The tutorials seem fairly straightforward.

To put the iPhone back to "normal", you just do a regular "Restore" using iTunes, apparently.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 10:56:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Thinking about getting one, can the iphone play music and browse the web at the same time?
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 10:57:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Thinking about getting one, can the iphone play music and browse the web at the same time?

Yes
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 10:57:26 AM EDT
[#37]
iPhone is for girls! Get a Blackberry or better yet G1. :)
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 11:00:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Snaptell - take a picture of any book, CD, DVD and it will pull up various reviews and Amazon's entry on it
Shazam - hear a tune on the radio but the DJ doesn't mention the name - this program will listen to a few notes and identify the song and bring up a screen where you can buy it
Urban Spoon/Where to?/Earthcomber - good business locators using your GPS info
GPS MotionX  - Good GPS app
Google Earth
RepairPal - put in your car make and model and what needs repaired, and it will bring up the appropriate repair cost range based on your GPS location - good to see if you are getting conned
Newsstand - You provide it the RSS links to news sites, and it will go out and grab articles on a daily basis. (All good news sites and many others use RSS BBC, Foxnews, CNN, Jerusalem Post, etc)
The Weather Channel weather app - better than the default
ConcertVault / Pandora - Concert Vault free recordings of hundreds of music concerts / Pandora - internet radio - both require a WiFi connection if you want good quality connection

Only MotionX and Newsstand cost anything, I think both were very cheap
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Do I have to have a Mac to do the jailbreak? It keeps saying Mac users on the hackthatphone site.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 11:59:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes

Pretty sure I don't have a vagina.

Nick

Link Posted: 2/12/2009 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Tag for when Anchorage get's 3G.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Do I have to have a Mac to do the jailbreak? It keeps saying Mac users on the hackthatphone site.

No, you don't have to have a Mac.

However, hackthatphone is Mac only.

Try iclarified.com.

Link Posted: 2/12/2009 12:46:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Have a lowly I touch so tagging for apps that apply to me
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 1:50:09 PM EDT
[#45]
so how do i set those Larue pics as my backgorund? and yes it will get jail broken eventually
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 2:29:34 PM EDT
[#46]
i alsi cant get itunes to recognize it. i really wanna get my music and ringtones on it
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 2:49:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I requested that and Goatboy said sounds simple enough or something to that effect.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 3:32:32 PM EDT
[#48]
I downloaded Pandora this morning.
This is a great app.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 3:35:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I requested that and Goatboy said sounds simple enough or something to that effect.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#50]
I want my damn iPhone
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 25
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top