Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 12:15:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
dibs on yer dogs!

What would you want with a dog corpse? ....creepy.

Seriously though, id call the head office. Every 03 inspection I've read about said they had called at least a week in advance and the ebonics thing would raise an eyebrow as well.  

Christ, arfcom has made me paranoid...
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yeah......thinking I'm going to cancel plans to get my C&R now....

I just FedEx'd my license back today.

It's not worth the hassle anymore.

FWIW, if you are looking to surrender your license, just send a letter explaining your intentions and the original license to:

Federal Firearms Licensing Center
244 Needy Rd
Martinsburg, WV 25405
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Report it to the ATF ombudsman , 03 FFL's do not have business hours, and they cannot show up unannounced for an inspection. Someone in the local field office has you confused for an 01 FFL .

Back when there was a C&R mailing list, several people there reported issues to the Ombudsmen and they were treated respectfully, and the issue was resolved.

this seems like good advice
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Report it to the ATF ombudsman , 03 FFL's do not have business hours, and they cannot show up unannounced for an inspection. Someone in the local field office has you confused for an 01 FFL .

Back when there was a C&R mailing list, several people there reported issues to the Ombudsmen and they were treated respectfully, and the issue was resolved.

Google isn't finding the ATF ombudsman's contact information.  Do you know where I can find it?

Thank you.

http://www.atf.gov/contact/hq.htm

Ombudsman 202-648-7412

Also may want to contact FLC at 404-417-2750

Or speak to a supervisor at your local field office.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 12:19:12 PM EDT
[#5]
That's definitely messed up, there supposed to call you in advance.

Is your dog still alive?

I have yet to be inspected.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 12:19:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 12:20:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Fluent in ebonics, mailbox tampering and the use of the word "sidearms" from a agent can only me one of two things to me.
Afirmative action placement, which is quite prevelent in government/state placement programs requiring no education for the job at hand. Or you are going to be robbed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Did CMP accidentally ship an M14 or something? what the fuck?

Link Posted: 1/30/2009 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#9]
tag
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 12:23:42 PM EDT
[#10]
First, stop blabbing about it on the internet

Next, call your lawyer.

ETA: Ask me how i know?
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#11]
if that were me and the atf princess was coming back for her visit I'd had have several video camera's all around and rolling the entire time she was there. if she be speakin ebonics she could screw you up big time and you'd never know it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Call their office and explain the situation. I've dealt with the Houston inspectors a few times and even corrected them on some mistakes they made. They were courteous and thanked me for pointing out where they were screwing up in regards to the 03 side. You are always going to get one bad apple, just like I had when I was in San Antonio. One dumbass inspector thought he knew his shit and wound up being wrong and having the other people in his office call me to apologize for his behavior and lack of knowledge regarding their regs. Good agents in Houston , too!
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 12:28:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't worry, they are from the government and they are there to help.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 12:29:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is not strange. ATF can come unannounced to inspect your bound book.

I do not believe that can do unannounced visits.

Not for an 03, no.
The fact that she dropped by without an appointment is really worrisome.  Either she doesn't know the rules, or it's more than a normal compliance inspection.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
First, stop blabbing about it on the internet

Next, call your lawyer.

ETA: Ask me how i know?

How do you know?

My books are clean.  I obtained less than 20 "sidearms" and I retain possession of them all.

I called the ombudsman and she is out of the office until Monday.  Will see if I still feel like stirring the pot come Monday morning, but I think I will.  

1. Unannounced visit.
2. Leaving card in my box

Link Posted: 1/30/2009 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FWIW, if you are looking to surrender your license, just send a letter explaining your intentions and the original license to:

244 Needy Rd
Martinsburg, WV 25405

What did they do to you?

Nothing. I moved and it's no longer worth the hassle, especially since I now live in a gun-unfriendly apartment for the next year.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is not strange. ATF can come unannounced to inspect your bound book.

I do not believe that can do unannounced visits.

Not for an 03, no.
The fact that she dropped by without an appointment is really worrisome.  Either she doesn't know the rules, or it's more than a normal compliance inspection.

She said it is an inspection.  Her card says her title is "Industry Operations Investigator."
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#18]
You can probably find an archive of my interaction with ATF on this site.

But I'm serious, unannounced means something. Not necessarily a bad or illegal something (as was my case - nothing illegal just knew a guy who turned out to be a felon in possession and i didn't know it). But something to warrant not warning you. And repeated calls is also an indication.

So, seriously, stop blabbing and call your lawyer. And have your lawyer there if they show up.

ATF doesn't like being embarrassed on Al Gore's internets.

My $0.02. Take it for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 12:34:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I would call a lawyer. And for the inspection, request to meet at a separate location.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
WTF is up with all the C&R inspections lately? Something coming down the pike? Better get the tinfoil ready.

I would imagine that the ATF is doing inspections so that in 3 months they can generate a report that says, "We've conducted a bunch of inspections and found X% of dealers aren't keeping proper records. We need to increase the license fee to eleventy gajillion dollars to put these bad FFLs out of business.  We also need to close the "gunshow loophole" and save the babies from all of these bad dealers...."

It's coming.  

Link Posted: 1/30/2009 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#21]
There is a thread in the C&R forum about inspections. One of the posters got the unannounced treatment and he turned out to be on the 01 list instead of the 03 list. A phone call to the inspector should shed light on the situation. And remember....NO COPIES.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 12:51:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm new, but what does the ATF have to do with his dog?
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 12:58:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It is manditory for ATF inspections to include either molesting his canine, or shooting it.  

and suprisingly, beastiality is not as popular.

Link Posted: 1/30/2009 12:59:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Question, I have a C&R at my residence in one state and am temporarily in another state going to school? What do I do if I get called at my residence in the state where the license is held and I am not there nor would it be practical to fly back for a 15 minute inspection? Also I have never purchased a C&R with the license. Only used it for discounts.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 1:04:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Arfcom has like 80 different inside jokes that they constantly bring up in every single thread for unknown reasons. Do yourself a favor and just ignore it.

What is your problem with the lady leaving her card in your mailbox?
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 1:06:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes, they do not need to make an appointment to raid and kill your dog visit you. I got a phone call and agreed on a time and date, but they do not have to play nice. They can also make you drag all your C&R rifles and pistols to the nearest ATF feild office which may be hours away from your home.

§ 923 Licensing
(C) The Attorney General may inspect
the inventory and records of a
licensed collector without such reasonable
cause or warrant—
(i) for ensuring compliance with
the record keeping requirements of
this chapter not more than once
during any twelve-month period; or
(ii) when such inspection or examination
may be required for determining
the disposition of one or
more particular firearms in the
course of a bona fide criminal investigation.

It's all inside here.all you have to do is read.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 1:07:56 PM EDT
[#27]
I'll tag this one.  I'm a veteran of inspections.

Link Posted: 1/30/2009 1:08:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Question, I have a C&R at my residence in one state and am temporarily in another state going to school? What do I do if I get called at my residence in the state where the license is held and I am not there nor would it be practical to fly back for a 15 minute inspection? Also I have never purchased a C&R with the license. Only used it for discounts.

They have to allow you to schedule an appointment. As far as I know there are no regulations on the scheduling process so you will find out if they contact you. Despite the reaction from many members in this thread this is a fairly standard procedure that you should have been aware of prior to applying for the license.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 1:16:11 PM EDT
[#29]
I would make every effort to answer the door when they knock, and to be prompt in replying to any phone messages or letters from the BATF. Here's why:

§ 478.23 Right of entry and examination. (a) [A]ny ATF officer, when there is reasonable cause to believe a violation of the Act has occurred and that evidence of the violation may be found on the premises of any licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, may, upon demonstrating such cause before a Federal magistrate and obtaining from the magistrate a warrant authorizing entry, enter during business hours (or, in the case of a licensed collector, the hours of operation) the premises, including places of storage, of any such licensee for the purpose of inspecting or examining:
1) Any records or documents required to be kept by such licensee under this part and
2) Any inventory of firearms or ammunition kept or stored by any licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, or licensed dealer at such premises or any firearms curios or relics or ammunition kept or stored by any licensed collector at such premises.
(c) Any ATF officer, without having reasonable cause to believe a violation of the Act has occurred or that evidence of the violation may be found and without demonstrating such cause before a Federal magistrate or obtaining from the magistrate a warrant authorizing entry, may enter during hours of operation the premises, including places of storage, of any licensed collector for the purpose of inspecting or examining the records, documents, firearms, and ammunition referred to in paragraph (a) of this section (1) for ensuring compliance with the recordkeeping requirements of this part not more than once during any 12-month period or (2) when such inspection or examination may be required for determining the disposition of one or more particular firearms in the course of a bona fide criminal investigation. At the election of the licensed collector, the annual inspection permitted by this paragraph shall be performed at the ATF office responsible for conducting such inspection in the closest proximity to the collector’s premises.
(d) The inspections and examinations provided by this section do not authorize an ATF officer to seize any records or documents other than those records or documents constituting material evidence of a violation of law. If an ATF officer seizes such records or documents, copies shall be provided the licensee within a reasonable time.

Link Posted: 1/30/2009 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yes, they do not need to make an appointment to raid and kill your dog visit you. I got a phone call and agreed on a time and date, but they do not have to play nice. They can also make you drag all your C&R rifles and pistols to the nearest ATF feild office which may be hours away from your home.

§ 923 Licensing
cause or warrant—

So where does it say that they don't have to make an appointment? You also left this off:

At the election of a licensed
collector, the annual inspection of records
and inventory permitted under
this paragraph shall be performed at
the office of the Attorney General designed
for such inspections which is
located in closest proximity to the
premises where the inventory and
records of such licensed collector are
maintained. The inspection and examination
authorized by this paragraph
shall not be construed as
authorizing the Attorney General to
seize any records or other documents
other than those records or
documents constituting material evidence
of a violation of law......

Sure sounds like you can make an appointment to me.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 1:20:41 PM EDT
[#31]
It's a Trap!!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 1:21:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Conduct the entire inspection process in the nude. It's your house, afterall.

If you could sport an erection, it would be even better...especially if the inspector is male.

Try it. I did.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 1:22:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I would make every effort to be prompt in replying to any phone messages or letters from the BATF. Here's why:

§ 478.23 Right of entry and examination. (a) [A]ny ATF officer, when there is reasonable cause to believe a violation of the Act has occurred and that evidence of the violation may be found on the premises of any licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, may, upon demonstrating such cause before a Federal magistrate and obtaining from the magistrate a warrant authorizing entry, enter during business hours (or, in the case of a licensed collector, the hours of operation) the premises, including places of storage, of any such licensee for the purpose of inspecting or examining:
1) Any records or documents required to be kept by such licensee under this part and
2) Any inventory of firearms or ammunition kept or stored by any licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, or licensed dealer at such premises or any firearms curios or relics or ammunition kept or stored by any licensed collector at such premises.
(c) Any ATF officer, without having reasonable cause to believe a violation of the Act has occurred or that evidence of the violation may be found and without demonstrating such cause before a Federal magistrate or obtaining from the magistrate a warrant authorizing entry, may enter during hours of operation the premises, including places of storage, of any licensed collector for the purpose of inspecting or examining the records, documents, firearms, and ammunition referred to in paragraph (a) of this section (1) for ensuring compliance with the recordkeeping requirements of this part not more than once during any 12-month period or (2) when such inspection or examination may be required for determining the disposition of one or more particular firearms in the course of a bona fide criminal investigation. At the election of the licensed collector, the annual inspection permitted by this paragraph shall be performed at the ATF office responsible for conducting such inspection in the closest proximity to the collector’s premises.
(d) The inspections and examinations provided by this section do not authorize an ATF officer to seize any records or documents other than those records or documents constituting material evidence of a violation of law. If an ATF officer seizes such records or documents, copies shall be provided the licensee within a reasonable time.

Because they would have to get a federal warrant with probably cause just like any search performed by law enforcement? Here is what happens if they can't get a warrant:

(c) Any ATF officer, without having
reasonable cause to believe a violation of
the Act has occurred or that evidence of
the violation may be found and without
demonstrating such cause before a Federal
magistrate or obtaining from the magistrate
a warrant authorizing entry, may
enter during hours of operation the premises,
including places of storage, of any
licensed collector for the purpose of inspecting
or examining the records, documents,
firearms, and ammunition referred
to in paragraph (a) of this section (1) for
ensuring compliance with the recordkeeping
requirements of this part not more than
once during any 12-month period or (2)
when such inspection or examination may
be required for determining the disposition
of one or more particular firearms in the
At the election of the licensed collector,
the annual inspection permitted by this
paragraph shall be performed at the ATF
office responsible for conducting such
inspection in closest proximity to the collectors
premises.

Link Posted: 1/30/2009 1:27:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If you could sport an erection, it would be even better...especially if the inspector is male.

Try it. I did.

Unfortunately, they will probably find a way to make a semi-auto rifle go full-auto by creative use of a cock-ring and he'll be in club Fed.

Risky...
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would make every effort to be prompt in replying to any phone messages or letters from the BATF. Here's why:

Because they would have to get a federal warrant with probably cause just like any search performed by law enforcement?

My point was you don't want to piss off the BATF Inspector by not answering your door or not returning phone calls, because then they might start digging and who knows what they might find that could give them probable cause to obtain a warrant. Nothing good will come from pissing off someone from the BATF. Be professional and courteous, and everything will go smoothly. If you start fucking with them, then they'll fuck with you right back, and they'll win I promise you.

Link Posted: 1/30/2009 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#36]
I went to my dealer's today , and noticed (what I thought was ) a punky-looking kid looking through the guns........come to find out he was the ATF doing an inspection.
Spiked hair.....three huge silver loops in his ear.....dressed like he was ready to go clubbin.

My dealer said that in the 23 years he's had his licence, this was the first time he'd been inspected.

Quoted:

Try it. I did.

Damn dude!!! just DAMN!!

Link Posted: 1/30/2009 1:33:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

My point was you don't want to piss off the BATF Inspector by not answering your door or not returning phone calls, because then they might start digging and who knows what they might find that could give them probable cause to obtain a warrant. Nothing good will come from pissing off someone from the BATF. Be professional and courteous, and everything will go smoothly. If you start fucking with them, then they'll fuck with you right back, and they'll win I promise you.

I agree with that. There really is no reason not to go along with their inspection. You agreed to it by applying for the license. Getting all uppity about it just makes you out to be an asshole. If you are paranoid about it set up your appointment and bring along your attorney.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 1:35:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Very disturbing trend lately. Off to check my book.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Pretty sure it is illegal to put anything in anyones mailbox, unless you are a postman....period
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 1:38:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

244 Needy Rd
Martinsburg, WV 25405

This is what the assholes want.  It's Clinton all over again.  Not surprising, as BATFE hates gun owners.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arfcom has like 80 different inside jokes that they constantly bring up in every single thread for unknown reasons. Do yourself a favor and just ignore it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_Ridge
You call Ruby Ridge an inside joke?  Seriously, I wish more people knew about it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 1:42:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_Ridge
You call Ruby Ridge an inside joke?  Seriously, I wish more people knew about it.

No I call the way it is constantly referenced and exaggerated to be common place an inside joke.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

§ 923 Licensing
cause or warrant—

So where does it say that they don't have to make an appointment? You also left this off:

cause or warrant—
 No warrant or reasonable cause needed= no appointment

Yes, you can and they prefer it, however they reserve the right to come anytime [the hours of operation you submitted on your FFL application] unannounced without a warrant to inspect paperwork/firearms compliance. If someone is home they will gain access. If their is reasonable cause to believe a violation of the Act has occured they will get a warrant and make entry if your home or not, anytime day or night.

Link Posted: 1/30/2009 1:49:40 PM EDT
[#44]
ATF agents do not need a Bachelor's degree.  That is one of the minimum requirements, 3 years LEO experience takes the place of the degree.

My buddy's father is a dealer and gunsmith.  He is not renewing his license which he has had forever.  Believes intrusive inspections will be a way of life for at least the next 4 years.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Very disturbing trend lately. Off to check my book.

What happened to the "good old days" when C&Rs could go decades without an inspection?

I'd rather they worked on good Government like on speeding up the NFA office paperwork, not inspecting some old fart's collection of obsolete military bolt-action rifles.  What legitimate government need does that fulfill?  Has there been a rash of drive-by bayonet charges?

Link Posted: 1/30/2009 2:15:01 PM EDT
[#46]
I hope all ends well and the agent is not a vindictive type of person with an attitude.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Don't do the inspection in your home. If you have to drive your entire collection to the local satellite office, then so be it.

Cereal, dude. Fuckin' cereal.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#48]
You're a lucky one... they only left a card in your box, visited your home a lot without your knowledge, and called you a ridiculous number of times...

Dogs alive? Kids alive? Home not burned down?

You're doing great...
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 4:00:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

§ 923 Licensing
cause or warrant—

cause or warrant—
 No warrant or reasonable cause needed= no appointment

Yes, you can and they prefer it, however they reserve the right to come anytime [the hours of operation you submitted on your FFL application] unannounced without a warrant to inspect paperwork/firearms compliance. If someone is home they will gain access. If their is reasonable cause to believe a violation of the Act has occured they will get a warrant and make entry if your home or not, anytime day or night.

1.) It is not a business so there are no hours of operation.

2.) The choice for for the appointment is the decision of the collector. If the collector chooses an appointment, the ATF will not just barge in and do an inspection anyway. Just because you are home does not mean you are required do it right then. Be polite. Ask for a card. Tell the inspector you will call the office and set an appointment. Thereyago...everybody happy.

In short, yes, they do have to play nice, unless they can prove to a magistrate that you are in violation and get a warrant. If it comes to the latter, the inspection is the least of worries.

Link Posted: 1/30/2009 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
dibs on yer dogs!

what the fuck do you want a couple of dead dogs for?

Freak.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top