Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2001 7:08:07 AM EDT
Any input to the following proposed letter to the editor?

Selective Americans

Have you read and heard about Americans taking control of dangerous situations in the air lately?  Unruly passengers, shoe bombs, and comments that imply horror?  

Apparently Americans have decided that it is OK to protect themselves from terrorists.  It seems we have decided that if we are to survive in the air, we have to take control of our destiny by protecting ourselves and others that could be hurt by airplane violence.  

Has anyone ever asked why this change in the American thinking occurred?  Maybe the brainwashing we've been receiving for the last several decades got a shock it couldn't recover from.  Maybe the realization that the government cannot protect us is slipping past the training.  Maybe the realization that the government couldn't protect us, even if they wanted to, has suddenly become apparent.   Maybe we have to do something for ourselves (gasp).

GOOD FOR US

Hold it.  Haven't we done this before?  Isn't this why we have what we have in this country?

What is the difference of protecting ourselves in the air and protecting ourselves at home or in our auto?  Can the local police protect us from the thug that is going to take our car or valuables from our house?  Or how about someone that takes a child instead?  I say NO.  Not even the police can predict when a terrorist (thug) is going to try to break into your house to support a habit, or just to eat.  In cases like this the police are simply historians of the crime.  Shouldn't we as Americans be able to protect ourselves at home, auto, or even a public place?

Haven't we taken our country from a controlling government by the use of force?  Shouldn't we keep that power?  What would we have now if we meekly accepted our roles as a subservient colony?

Purchase a gun learn to use it.

Bill Wall
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:17:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully there are more people like this waking up across the nation.

I know that in my area, just from talking to the local gun shops, gun sales are up dramatically. There is also a new gun range that opened a month ago and it is constantly packed. I've only went a couple of times because there have been so many people there using the range and buying new guns.

As terrible as the things were that caused people to start thinking this way, hopefully it will make us a stronger nation in the end.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:21:08 AM EDT
[#2]
loose the word " selective"
I do not understand your "comments that imply horror?"

Add "many" after Apparently.

change "airplane violence" to Airborne violence.

Change "brainwashing" to Conditioning  Brainwashing implys tinfoil hat attitude.

Change "got a shock" to suffered a shock.

Change "hold it..." to:
"Hold it, has this not happened in the past?  Is this not the sort of action, that was insturmental in creating this great country of ours?"

Add " I ask you, what is the difference....

Add " or worse" ie:

take our car, valuables or worse....

Omit " from our house"

Omit the Havent we taken sentence...Tinfoil hat agian.

Change to

We have taken the right to self defense for granted for far to long.  In so doing many have lost the means and the desire, to their current dismay.

Purchase a gun and learn to use it!

Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:26:42 AM EDT
[#3]
taken the right to self defense for granted for far to long
View Quote

Good letter....and good corrections, Storm.  One thing..."to long", above, should be "too long".
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:28:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn!!

I hang my head in shame...... You are most correct sir!

Mind you I am an Engineer Tech !! NOT an English major.

However that said I have gotten 20 letters to the editor published here in Canada over the past 2 years!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:31:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Correct it and send it.  The rest of us should be doing the same thing.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:32:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:35:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Well done.  Send it!

CMOS
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:37:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's the proof.

Americas New Choice

Have you read and heard about Americans taking control of dangerous situations in the air lately?  Unruly passengers, shoe bomb, and last but not least hi-jacking?  

Apparently many Americans have decided that it is OK to protect themselves from terrorists.  It seems we have decided that if we are to survive in the air, we have to take control of our destiny by protecting ourselves and others that could be hurt by airborne violence.  

Has anyone ever asked why this change in the American thinking occurred?  Maybe the conditioning we've been receiving for the last several decades has suffered a shock it couldn't recover from.  Maybe the realization that the government cannot protect us is slipping past the training.  Maybe the realization that the government couldn't protect us, even if they wanted to, has suddenly become apparent.   Maybe we have to do something for ourselves (gasp).

GOOD FOR US

Hold it, has this not happened in the past?  Is this not the sort of action, that was instrumental in creating this great country of ours?

I ask you, what is the difference of protecting ourselves in the air and protecting ourselves at home or in our auto?  Can the local police protect us from the thug that is going to take our car, our valuables, or worse?   Or how about someone that takes a child instead?  I say NO.  Not even the police can predict when a terrorist (thug) is going to try to break into your house to support a habit, or just to eat.  In cases like this the police are simply historians of the crime.  Shouldn't we as Americans be able to protect ourselves at home, auto, or even a public place?

We have taken the right to self-defense for granted for far too long.  In so doing many have lost the means and the desire, to their current dismay.

Purchase a gun learn to use it.

Bill Wall
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:39:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Great!!

Get it out there!
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:58:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks. your inputs made it a much better letter.  Please feel free to use it in your part of the country.

bhead
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 10:08:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top