Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2009 3:47:13 AM EDT
Did anyone take video of the new p238 at the 09 shot show? When Illinois pulls its head out of its ass on CCW (Or I finaly move from this sick state) This will be my "run to the store without the full size" or "light days" CCW gun.

I cant find a pic of it in stainless either. I would get the two tone (pick below) if the grip was black too. Wondering if the all stainless has black grips.I loved my NAA 32 solid feel and weight but hated that 50 pound trigger, the ridiculous lenght of the trigger pull, and .32 size. I think I would love this little .380 backup gun and it would fit the bill nice as I am not a fan of plastic crap.

Link Posted: 1/22/2009 3:50:43 AM EDT
[#1]
wow looks nice, I hadn't heard of it! SAO?
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 3:51:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
wow looks nice, I hadn't heard of it! SAO?

yup...you can rack the slide with the safty on too
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 4:16:20 AM EDT
[#3]
A single action .380? Well that is certainly what the CCW market has been clamoring for.
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 4:35:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't care for the look of the grips, but it is a good idea IMHO.
Does Colt still make the Mustang?
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 4:41:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Same here...and it looks awful small, even for my hands.
I like the 2 tone, though.
I'm a chick, I like the shiny.
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 4:50:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here...and it looks awful small, even for my hands.
I like the 2 tone, though.
I'm a chick, I like the shiny.

Im a guy and I like the 2 tone!
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 4:53:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Does Colt still make the Mustang?

no
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 4:57:39 AM EDT
[#8]
a SAO with no "grip safety"  chambered in .380.......hmmmmmm, I don't see "sucess" in the near future for this gun.

Coming up with something similar in size to the keltec PF9 would have been a better idea in my opinion.   A slim, lightweight 9mm would be a more successful CCW gun I think.

I would feel comfortable carrying "only" a 9mm but would feel a little "light" with only a .380.

Making a small 9mm that could handle +P or +P+ loads would be something that I would take interest in.
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 5:08:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
a SAO with no "grip safety"  chambered in .380.......hmmmmmm, I don't see "sucess" in the near future for this gun.

Coming up with something similar in size to the keltec PF9 would have been a better idea in my opinion.   A slim, lightweight 9mm would be a more successful CCW gun I think.

I would feel comfortable carrying "only" a 9mm but would feel a little "light" with only a .380.

Making a small 9mm that could handle +P or +P+ loads would be something that I would take interest in.

Little holes are better than no holes. Thats the point of a mouse gun. Its not much to lug with you, so you never have an excuse to leave home without it. I doubt I am going to strap on my gov 1911 every short trip I take.
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 5:15:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been saying for years and years that Colt was brain-damaged to kill off the Mustang.  I never figured SIG would be the one to reintroduce it.  That looks like 100% pure win... except for the SIG price tag.  

Edit:  Steel or aluminum frame?
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 5:21:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've been saying for years and years that Colt was brain-damaged to kill off the Mustang.  I never figured SIG would be the one to reintroduce it.  That looks like 100% pure win... except for the SIG price tag.  

I know Sigs are expensive, but do you know the price for this one? Or did I over look

it somewhere?
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 5:27:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If the genral pubic does not buy them in bulk they will stop making them (like the colt) and then the price for them will double so you may get than money back and then some. The way the kel-tecs and rugers are flyn off the shelves for $200 cheaper it may not take that long. Sounds like a good investment to me.
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 5:27:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know Sigs are expensive, but do you know the price for this one? Or did I over look

it somewhere?

Holy crap... this 1911forum thread cites an MSRP of $450 or $515 in different parts of the thread.... and an aluminum frame!  
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 5:28:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it somewhere?

Holy crap... this 1911forum thread cites an MSRP of $450 or $515 in different parts of the thread.... and an aluminum frame!  

Link Posted: 1/22/2009 5:29:25 AM EDT
[#15]
http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2009/01/14/sig-sauer-p238-subcompact-single-action-380-acp-pistol/

MSRP starts at $515.

SIG SAUER P238 Specifications
Caliber: .380 ACP (9mm short)
Frame Material: Aluminum
Frame Finish: Black Hard Coat Anodize
Slide Material: Stainless Steel
Slide Finish: Nitron or Natural Stainless
Length Overall: 5.5″
Height Overall: 3.9″
Width Overall: 1.1″
Barrel Length: 2.7″
Sights: Post & Dot Contrast, SIGLIGHT Night Sights
Sight Radius: 3.8″
Weight w/out mag: 15.2 oz.
Mag cap: 6 rounds.

hmmm...  this has my attention
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 5:34:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes, I too am now listening.  Tell me more...
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 5:36:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yes, I too am now listening.  Tell me more...

From the SIG Price Listing:

238-380-B MSRP $ 515.00
Black Nitron finish, Contrast Sights

238-380-BSS MSRP $ 558.00
Black Nitron finish, SIGLITE Sights

238-380-T MSRP $ 529.00
Two Tone, Contrast Sights

238-380-TSS MSRP $ 572.00
Two Tone, SIGLITE Sights

1200773 – Extra 6 round magazines MSRP $ 44.00

I heard talk of an all stainless model too....if it exist I want to see it

I think these will go for $400-450 at your gun shop

Group buy?....lol
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 6:02:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't care for the look of the grips

I bet a week after it comes out the aftermarket will have a few different  aluminum sets for you to choose from. From the looks of it now I will be getting the two tone with the SIGLITE Sights and waiting for that to happen.

I am thinking black color checkered grips that match the frame. Add a small slit of skateboard grip tape to the front and done....i got a bad ass looking little backup gun
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 6:07:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Cool little gun.

They already make the finest combat handguns in the history of the world, maybe they can corner the 380 ccw gun market too
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 6:07:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't care for the look of the grips

I bet a week after it comes out the aftermarket will have a few different  aluminum sets for you to choose from. From the looks of it now I will be getting the two tone with the SIGLITE Sights and waiting for that to happen.

And it looks similar enough that Mustang grips MIGHT work, although you might need Mustang screws instead of the bigger-looking ones on the SIG.

Link Posted: 1/22/2009 6:07:51 AM EDT
[#21]
At that size and price point these will be hard to come by for quite a while. If the street price is in the mid 4's then it will be easy for people to justify the extra expense over a KelTec. Further, I see the prices of used mustangs falling a bit as well. Mag prices are insane at $44 MSRP though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 6:10:11 AM EDT
[#22]
What does this offer over the 230/232?
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 6:10:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I guess I am the only one that thinks its blocky and ugly

not to mention that if you pcket carry it, it looks as if the rear sight is going to snag on everything.

Are they going to make a pocket clip like the KelTecs?
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 6:34:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Sig is going to sell a metric ton of these. I will have one.

Link Posted: 1/22/2009 6:51:22 AM EDT
[#25]
I played with photofilter (because its free and I am lazy) and gave it some checkered grips real quick. Yeah, I like it.

I bet you like my mad photoshop skills too..
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 6:56:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Want.
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 6:58:16 AM EDT
[#27]
I think it would be a better gun if it came in 9mm, and with SA and DA.

Right now, I think the Kahr MK9 is still winning.
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 7:10:17 AM EDT
[#28]
There's a thread in the SIG forum.

I'm not impressed.  A blocky expensive single action 380.  I really don't know what SIG was thinking.
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 7:14:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Looks wonder if Crimson Trace is has a fix planned for the grips.
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 7:22:23 AM EDT
[#30]
For all you armchair commandos already judging this before you've handled it. It really is not as blocky feeling as it would appear. It's a great slimline .380 period. This gun will sell provided Sig doesn't blow it like Ruger did with the LCP and not have any in stock to sell to dealers. I'm going to grab a bi-tone personally and sell off my Kel-Tec.
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 7:34:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
For all you armchair commandos already judging this before you've handled it. It really is not as blocky feeling as it would appear. It's a great slimline .380 period. This gun will sell provided Sig doesn't blow it like Ruger did with the LCP and not have any in stock to sell to dealers. I'm going to grab a bi-tone personally and sell off my Kel-Tec.

Out of curiosity, how do you know that it is 'great'?

I know that a single action subcompact has no place in my collection; if I am going to put a holster on a belt, I might as well put a real pistol in it, and if I am carrying in my pocket, C&L doesn't really appeal to me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:32:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I thought I would bring this back because I found a link that might be intresting to people thinking about getting a mouse gun. This is a test to see how many 6 inch thick jugs of water a round will penetrate. It made me feel a little safer with the .380. as a backup.

4 jugs = 12in of balistic gel "Most experts say that a round should penetrate at least 12 inches of ballistic gelatin to be sure to reach the vital organs of a bad guy and effectively STOP him".

The little kel-tec with 380 ball ammo went thru 5 jugs. The glock 26 (9mm) went thru 3 jugs. The Glock 27 (.40 s&w) went thru 3 jugs. See results for yourself below

Little Guns vs. The Box O' Truth

9mm .40
Little Guns vs. The Box O'Truth #2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top