Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/30/2001 4:13:54 AM EDT
Finally, living in a remote rural area has caught up with me.  The road I live on has become a favorite target of mailbox bashers.  First, they just targeted a lady up the road who has a very nice entrance to her farm, trashing the signs, mailboxes, and spreading litter.  Last nite, [i]every[/i] mailbox on our road was trashed.  This is becoming a monthly event.

The casualty:
[img]http://www.drhaddix.com/Mailboxbash.JPG[/img]

The replacement:
Tack-up of internal frame of angle iron and 1/2" rebar:
[img]http://www.drhaddix.com/Mailboxframe.JPG[/img]

Inner liner box, 2 1/2 bags Quikcrete filled between:
[img]http://www.drhaddix.com/Mailboxconcrete.JPG[/img]

Let the games begin.  Welding torch, [b]ON[/b][devil]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 4:22:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Fill a mailbox with concrete & put it up at night.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 4:24:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Please DO NOT forget your buds at AR15.com when you make Builder's Photos of your armored creation!

[IMG]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/aahmed/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Edited to add:

Excellent!  A Stealth Main Battle Mailbox.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 4:34:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I posted this on a thread several months ago.

If it happens on a regular schedule then post yourself in some bushes with some tack strip.

When the car goes by after hitting your mailbox throw the stip out and puncture the tires.  

Hold them until the police arrive and show them the damage on your property.

If you fill your mailbox with cement it may break their arms and may leave you liable for their injuries.

Alex
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 4:47:13 AM EDT
[#4]
This kept happening to a friend of mine. He took one of the big mail boxes and put a small one inside. Then he filled the space in between the two with concrete. About a week later the local @ssholes came by. One of them leaned out the front window and smacked his creation with a bat. The bat bounced off and shattered the back passenger window of the drivers [i]parents[/i] six month old car(I forget the make). Bset thing was, he was sitting on the porch watching and new who owned the car!

Mike
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 4:48:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I dont think filling the mailbox with concrete would make you liable for their injuries. If someone tries to kick in your front door and breaks their foot, I doubt they would be successful in a law suit.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:01:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:01:57 AM EDT
[#7]
A couple of years ago, one of the posters talked about making a look-alike mailbox.  He rolled & welded 3/8" plate to look just like a normal mailbox.  He put it up on a piece of heavy pipe.  A little aluminum spray paint and [i]viola[/i] instant vandal getter.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:03:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I heard one time that doing anything to a mail box was a Federal Offense. You might want to contact the USPS to see what's up and see what they say.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:06:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:18:38 AM EDT
[#10]
"It's a federal offense" is a real nice theory.  In reality, the Post Office will totally blow you off.  At best, they'll have you fill out a form and instantly forget you exist.  Been there.  Done that.

And you don't have to LOSE a lawsuit to be financially ruined.  Just have to fight one for a while.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:24:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I think that the intent of the Concrete mail box was to only put it up at night.

I do not know about the USA but here in Canada they do not deliver in the dead of night.

Put it up in the evening and replace it in the morning with a real one.

Up here we cannot use them all the time due to damage to snow plows.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:39:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd set up a video camera and catch the perps in the act.  An armored mailbox is a good idea, but kinda ugly.  I saw one that had a brick bunker built around it.  

The tragedy of the suburbs is that kids have few outlets for dealing with their pent up rage and / or boredom.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:47:34 AM EDT
[#13]
They actually make large polymer mail boxes that are ment fo this.  The house I grew up in was in an affluent area of Long Island where the mailboxes were at the bottom of driveways that at least an eighth to a quarter mile long.  Some had contractors build large elaborate stone structures surrounding the mail box and 2 actually had the house alarms attatched to the boxes.  Personally I staked out my house and gave chase.  I caught one car load of "baseball" players. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:00:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I seem to remember a company called Frontgate used to sell a mailbox that was made of heavy steel.  They claimed that it was baseball bat proof.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:03:29 AM EDT
[#15]
get a bunch of .223 blanks and wait for those fuckers.  When they get to your house open up on them!  With all the noise and muzzle flash they'll be sure to piss their pants!  Make sure you have a brass catcher on though. If somebody on your street calls the cops and they show up at you door you can just say "hey my mail box got smashed and this time it sounded like they had a gun or something."  Those kid will be so scared to come down your street again that you could put up a glass mail box and it would be safe.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:49:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Do what my dad did: Get a railroad tie, sink it most of it's length in the ground, pour concrete around it. AS to the law, I believe a judge in Florida recently ruled that you can build your mailbox as strong as you like.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:09:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They actually make large [b]polymer[/b] mail boxes that are ment fo this..  
View Quote

Oooh, great.  Another polymer vs. steel (Glock vs 1911) argument!  [;)]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 10:54:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'd set up a video camera and catch the perps in the act.  An armored mailbox is a good idea, but kinda ugly.  I saw one that had a brick bunker built around it.  

The tragedy of the suburbs is that kids have few outlets for dealing with their pent up rage and / or boredom.
View Quote
Pent up rage????  What do they have to be in a rage about?
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 10:57:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I heard one time that doing anything to a mail box was a Federal Offense. You might want to contact the USPS to see what's up and see what they say.
View Quote

i built brick fort around mine, matches the house nicely :)
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I posted this on a thread several months ago.

If it happens on a regular schedule then post yourself in some bushes with some tack strip.

When the car goes by after hitting your mailbox throw the stip out and puncture the tires.  

Hold them until the police arrive and show them the damage on your property.

If you fill your mailbox with cement it may break their arms and may leave you liable for their injuries.

Alex
View Quote

Not likely. I say build a better mailbox, and they [b]WILL[/b] come! I hope some moron with an aluminum bat takes a poke at shooter's creation.

If you can, get pics of the perps as they are being led to the ambulance with compound fractures of the radius and ulna!
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 12:54:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote
Pent up rage????  What do they have to be in a rage about?
View Quote
Their rage at not having to want for anything....cause mommy and daddy gave them everything they wanted....
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#24]
When I was a kid, there was a middle-aged lady who spent all her time working on her yard.  It was the love of her life.  Needless to say, when some teenagers took to cutting the corner and driving across her luxurious, green, manicured lawn, leaving tire ruts in it, that disturbed her just a little.  So, she baited them with a nice, fluffy pile of freshly-raked pine straw right in the area where they were driving on her lawn.  BUT... concealed within the pine straw was a nice sized chunk of concrete.  Shortly after that, a VW Bug was found stuck on top of the concrete, minus an oil pan.  The owners had lots of explaining to do.  That pretty much put a stop to the hijinks there!!  [:D]  
John
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#25]
This kind of crime is wide spread all over the country, and we catch the littl heathens, on rare occassions and the Judge hammers their asses.

But don't expect any help from the U.S. Postal Service, they won't do anything. A banged up mail box isn't any skin off of their butts and they will just sluff it off.

7th
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 3:59:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Does anyone remember the James Bond movie where his "car alarm" consists of several pounds of HE?  It was so cool to watch the dirtbag break the window and get the surprise of his life.  [b]DON'T[/b] do anything like that, but it sure is fun to imagine . . . .  That would teach the little bastards!!  [}:D]
View Quote

"For Your Eyes Only"
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Move the mailbox back away from the road a bit so that they have to drive off the road to hit it.  Between the road and the mailbox, bury a board with 4 inch nails sticking out of it.
 Just remember to remove it before the mail truck gets there during the day.[;)]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 4:16:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I have seen the cement idea work on numerous occasions...

Besides, remember that there is a causal relation between action and injury in this case - these in-duh-viduals damaged themselves in the commission of an illegal act (vandalism and destruction of private property.)  "But for your actions..."  Legally, TheY can be held directly responsible for THEIR OWN injuries, AND damages to your property sustained while receiving their injuries...

Of course, my favourite was whe I helped a guy sink an 18" water pipe four feet into the ground, cut out a relief to expose the front of a USPS regulation mailbox (they say the BOX has to be reg, NOT the post it's on/in!) and fill the whole mess around the box with cement.  Then, we painted the post Safety Yellow and stencilled "DANGER" up and down both sides.  It only took a week before some damn fool decided to try his luck - with a metal bat.

The clang could be heard for 300 yards, the crack for about 20, and the yess for a mile!

When it went to court, he showed pix of the mailbox (as finished) and the judge said - "Can't you damn fools READ?!"  Dismissed.

Don't know if it will fly in your area, but something to think about.  It worked in Indiada in the '70s, tho...

FFZ
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#29]
sence im still in high school Ive heard all about mail box bashing though ive never joined in because its stupid fact is they are looking for a challage they wont hit a box too many times if they dont get a reaction from the person who owns it normally take it on as a challange and have fun with it the next time they come by stay in the bushes with a painball gun on full auto they will be scared as hell another thing you can do is get a peace of steel pipe about four inches around and mount you mail box on it make it 7 feet long and put about 4-5 feet in the ground in a hole about 2feet wide cut large holes in  pipe so  concrete goes in side they will have there work cut out for them. I know of a kid who died out smashing mail boxes he tryed tipping over a garbage can on one attept the can tiped back came back and hit him in the head and killed him the kid who was driving is in prison for the rest of his life for supplying the beer among other charges                                                                
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Holy fricken run-on sentences, Batman!  Hope you're doing ok in English class...
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Holy fricken run-on sentences, Batman!  Hope you're doing ok in English class...
View Quote

LMAO!
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#32]
One of my neighbors armored a mailbox.  A kid leaned out the passenger side window of his friend's car and hit it with a sledge hammer.  Broke his arm and the rear door window.  Every once in a while justice is served.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 1:50:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Him gets gud markz of engliz clas, speckelly wit duh spellung.

Thank you, hooked on phonics!
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 1:58:54 PM EDT
[#34]
ShooterX308, I like the solution that you came up with. The rebar was an especially nice touch. I can't wait to hear about the next encounter![BD]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Dang shooterX308

That is a great mail box. Please get video.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 2:31:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:03:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Someone needs to make a double walled mailbox where the smaller inner box has a door to allow access for the mail.  The outer box would be filled with day glo green or orange paint and an impact with the outer box would cause it to spew out toward the front marking anyone or any vehicle near at the instant of impact.

Uhhhh? Gee mom I don't know how the Lexus got that paint on the side.....
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#39]
I love it that is some great mailbox you got there. Good job!!! LOL
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Holy fricken run-on sentences, Batman! Hope you're doing ok in English class... <-lol

shooterX308 that kicks ass can't wait to see the picture after he hits it. haha

Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Looks like the idiot who hits it next is going to look like Wile E. Coyote in real life. Get a video![}:D]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:54:36 PM EDT
[#42]
How in the heck do you mount that box to the post?
Gotta be some serious nuts and bolts.  Excellent.

I used to have a girl with a box like that! [;D]

edited for the inevitable...she always knew when the male was coming...
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:58:43 PM EDT
[#43]
X308, please post pics of the "results".  [:D]

CMOS
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 4:15:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Hide and get licence no.
Then next time you see them in town jerk em out of there car and give them a public spanking.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 4:33:00 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm in high school too, don't do that for all the right reasons but used to know some people who did. They "borrowed" the 300 psi aircannon me and my friend made and used it to launch pop cans full of cement to overcome the cement and steel reinforcement that one of their targets constucted.

Just thought I would warn you about what might come next.

Please get video of the morons hurting themselves [:D]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 5:26:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The replacement:

Inner liner box, 2 1/2 bags Quikcrete filled between:
[img]http://www.drhaddix.com/Mailboxconcrete.JPG[/img]
View Quote

I have mailbox envy!
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Damn!! Its like chobham armor for your mailbox!![}:D]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#48]
You could probably market that thing.  I'll be looking for a pallet of them at Home Depot.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#49]
That concrete mail box is nice but it could be  lethal if someone runs into it and it ends up in their face. In today's litigious society, that's something to consider.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#50]
As a employee if the texas  Deoartment of Transportation(txDOT) i have run into this often. If it is on state right of way, any state(as per federal dot regulations), every structure has to be breakaway approved, including the boxes. be careful, if injuries ar sustained, you will be  liable. On county roads and private property, all bets are off..Besides, its more fun to catch and corner them, make them sweat..fullclip
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top