Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2001 2:01:38 AM EDT
WARNING:If you have not read the book, don’t read this review, just in case I spoiled for you.  

I waited in anticipation for this movie to come out.  As December 28th approached, I check to see where in LA will the movie play.  The only theater end up being an anti gun cinema, AMC century 14 in Century City.  I figure what the heck, one visit will not be too bad. so I called my friends and we set out to the lala land.  The entire movie was sold out before eight; we were lucky to pick up seven tickets for the 10:40 show.  As we arrived, the theater was packed, and finally, the movie I have been waiting for this year is soon to unfold before my eyes.

The movie starts with a Plato verse, only dead men have seen the end of war. The movie got right to the point, within the first half hour, the action begins. The Delta and the Rangers roped in and begin their assault. I figure you have read the story, so I won't bored you with the detail, but I have to say, this movie follow the book as well as Hollywood could have done. The action was fast pace and violent, the story follows the time line with no time for you to take a second breath. I was only disappointed about a couple of things. The movie did not show the welling women and children used as cover for the militia to move on the Rangers, it only briefly show a woman pick up an AK and was shoot by a Ranger near the end of the movie. I also hope there were more on the firefight at the second crash site where the two Delta die so bravely. That part was quickly covered. I guess I can understand, the movie was only 150 minutes long, so the story had to move quickly. The movie also did not show the dead Delta Soldier being dragged around. The movie only show the half naked body dragged out of the chopper and lift above the crowds, and the mob cheered. Most of all, I was disappoint at the love affair Hollywood seem to have with Clinton, they left his badly made decision untold, his administration's mistake was not mentioned at all. Other then that, the movie was excellent and I would recommend it to all of you. I do hope when Oscar time, this movie will get some award.

BTW, there was a close up shot of a Ranger with a M60 behind a burned out car, you can clearly see the linked blanks on the gun. All the 308s on that belt were crimped. most of the D-boys had a red dot sight, mostly Aimpoint M series, but I also seen some sight dressed up to look like the Aimpoints, the body was a bit different, and the objective lens had a amber tint. Anyway, I will head out to see it again once it goes wide on Jan. 18th. See you at the movies.

Link Posted: 12/29/2001 2:05:45 AM EDT
[#1]
[b][size=4]WHERE THE HELL WAS THE SPOILER WARNING!!!???[/b][/size=4]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 2:08:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Spoiler???? I figure most of you had read this story by now.  It is like Pearl Habor, you already knew the ending.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 2:12:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, but we don't know what crap the movie leaves out or embellishes, now do we?
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 2:18:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yeah, but we don't know what crap the movie leaves out or embellishes, now do we?
View Quote

I still don't think I spoiled the movie for you, if you feel I messed it up for you, get very drunk tonight and try to forget what you just read.  Like I said, this is a very well made and excellent movie, I might be a bit picky about my disappointments, but overall, this movie is top rate, and I would go see it again and when the DVD comes out, I will have it in my collection.  Redman, don't feel bad, I am sorry if I told you too much, but trust me, I did not tell you enough, you will enjoy the movie just as well.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 2:19:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 2:23:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I FIX THE TITLE, SO I HOPE I DON'T SPOIL IT FOR EVERYONE. SORRY IF I COST ANY HEARTACHE.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 2:34:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 3:31:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Spoiler???? I figure most of you had read this story by now.  It is like Pearl Habor, you already knew the ending.
View Quote

no! what happen at pearl Harbor? how did it end?
[:D]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 5:07:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Heh I remember when some moron posted the ending to "Planet of the Apes" blind (pissed me off to no end). This isn't a spoiler.

Les Aspin got off easy for causing the deaths of those soldiers. Another example of democrat behavior during conflict. I hope they dragged his corpse out of Arlington with donkeys (his corpse was snuck in there by the Clintons).
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 5:15:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Les Aspin got off easy for causing the deaths of those soldiers. Another example of democrat behavior during conflict. I hope they dragged his corpse out of Arlington with donkeys (his corpse was snuck in there by the Clintons).
View Quote

I don't think it was completely Les Aspin's fault, even though he took the fall.  Those folks are on a pretty short leash. Most likely the request for armour went right to the top. For me personally, Bill Clinton deserves most of the blame for this debacle.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 5:47:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
For me personally, Bill Clinton deserves most of the blame for this debacle.
View Quote

For me, I think he deserves all the blame. He was in charge at the time...enuf said...IMHO!!!

DK [(:|)]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#12]
When Clinton awarded the two metal of honor to the wivies of the Delta snipers, I wanted to jump through the television and choke him.  Dip Shit is still getting press from time to time.  This guy cause the lives of 19 Americans, and he is also the man that created Bin Ladan's idea of a weak America, and the the blood of the 3000 Americans lost on 9-11 should be in his hands too.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Bowden did such a good job with the details in the book, I have a picture in my mind of what the scenes look like.
View Quote

I'd like to see a reveiw by someone who has been to Somalia. I'm not gonna drive all the way to LA to see it, so I got to wait.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:44:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I am reading the IMDB review on the movie, they said director Ridley Scott called a anti war movie, what heck is going on there.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 3:29:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Didn't the father of one of the Rangers that got killed turn his back on Clinton when they met?
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Didn't the father of one of the Rangers that got killed turn his back on Clinton when they met?
View Quote

I heard that too.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 11:52:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 12:01:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I read the book last night a friend of mine and I were talking about the book and I could not remember did Durant survive?

Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I am reading the IMDB review on the movie, they said director Ridley Scott called a anti war movie, what heck is going on there.  
View Quote

I didn't find it on the site. Could it be a user review?
I saw it yesterday, it's awesome.
GO SEE IT!
I didn't see it as anti-war, but then again I'm not anti war. Maybe some weenie saw all the bloodshed and got scared. Ridley Scott made quite a good presentation for why we were there, though he never ties in the lack of armor and heavy air support to clinton - the only mention of it is when some officer(Garrison?) says something about Washington not okaying the heavy stuff. You couldn't expect an active-duty officer to criticize the administration except as simply a general rip.

My only beef is with the Delta guy doing recon in the beginning(no spoiler - it's pretty obvious what's going on). In the middle of the Bakara marketplace, the center of Aidid territory, there's this ONE white guy, with shiny sunglasses on, waiting to spot some Aidid aide. And of course, when he does come out, he (very casually) starts talking into his lapel. My god. I wonder what the hell he's doing. Other than that little gaffe, it's a well-done movie.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:11:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'd like to see a reveiw by someone who has been to Somalia. I'm not gonna drive all the way to LA to see it, so I got to wait.
View Quote

Several of the guys from the book are posting here:
http://www.cinemayhem.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=18&SUBMIT=Go
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 12:42:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Shoot...I'm WALKING distance to AMC14.  Used to try going to Westwood but never find any parking.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:34:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

no! what happen at pearl Harbor? how did it end?
[:D]
View Quote

What happen?  War was beginning!
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:07:55 AM EDT
[#24]
I am glad that the father got to say something.  He spoke for a hell of a lot of people that day.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 3:34:48 PM EDT
[#25]
It's a Hollywood movie, not a historically accurate documentary.  

Screw the Somali point of view.  If they had tried to film it with the Somali point of view, it would not have been made because the Army would have stayed at home.

Blanks in the M60?  It's a movie not a live fire exercise.

Les Aspin took the fall for the occupant of the White House.

Bowden got the facts down as well as he could since his research was limited to the younger Rangers and one disaffected "Deltoid."

The military guys don't understand the movie business.  The movie guys are in it to make money.  They must make a movie that people will want to see.  Absolute realism and accuracy isn't possible.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 4:22:01 PM EDT
[#26]
[b]SMGLee
"I still don't think I spoiled the movie for you, if you feel I messed it up for you, get very drunk tonight and try to forget what you just read.[/b] [^]
LMAO! Chen, THAT is a good one!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top