Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2001 5:44:10 AM EDT
I have been real interested in this topic for several months. I have not yet attempted to manufacture my own but I am thinking about trying a batch this spring for the heck of it. My father-in-law swears by the stuff and has been making it for years.

BD has also gotten some interest by my hometown county commissioners as a new industrial investment opportunity for the rural (read that depressed) business market in Ohio. The county already has an ag base but it is rapidly dwindling. The commissioners see BD as a possible futures opportunity and they already have a huge source of animal protein being the second largest pork producing county (Preble) in Ohio.

Just wondering if anyone on here has any experience with backyard distillation of BD.

[url]http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_mike.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 6:31:17 AM EDT
[#1]
i knew this was going to come up sooner or later. anter the new truck thread.

not yet, but i would love to get into it myself.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 2:55:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Never thought I would see this on ar15.com!  Back in college I was really in to renewables.  As an engineering project we ran a conventional gas engine on a form of ethanol we cooked up ourselves.  At the time I was working as a diesel mechanic while in school.  I had a boss that was the master of diesel mechs, and he showed how you could actually run a diesel on refined milk!!!  Apparently it is the high fat content in bio fuels that is important.  I bought an old Volkswagon Rabbit that had a diesel in it and ran it on a mix of WVO and my own home brewed ethanol.  My WVO mix was so poor I had to add ethanol in it to get it going.  One of the problems with this using WVO is that companies actually contract to buy the stuff for use in other things, so it is hard to get believe or not.  Was for me anyway.  Eventually mixing the fuels ruined the engine in the old Rabbit.  Hadn't thought about that stuff in a while.  I really enjoyed doing that project, I am not much of a tree hugger but I like doing my own thing.  If I can find my old college engineering notes I will email them to you.  Lot of good info.    
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Read your reply earlier and was going to look into it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#4]
BenD.,
I thought the gas produced was "methane" ???

How would your county market and who would be the customer ??

What would be the use ??

Thanks !
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I worked for a place called A-55 for a short time this German guy was running Naptha,20%-50% water and a proprietary package in a high sheer pump to blend it.what a joke!!.stuck injectors,seiezed injection pumps,corrosion from hell and a fuel/heat seperation problem to boot the list goes on and on.....where I am currently employed the french frie squeezins was hyped last spring but thank god we have yet to see it.I bet it was some questions from the A-55 crap days  that might have raised concern about us destroying new equipment with experimental fuels.....experimental fuels that when the dealer ask what the heck is this S***! they do not honor any warranties when it breaks down.A-55 has a web site an 98% percent of it content is all used car salesman crapolla....just my two cents stick with the low sulpher diesel for now
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
BenD.,
I thought the gas produced was "methane" ???

How would your county market and who would be the customer ??

What would be the use ??

Thanks !
View Quote

Well I sit on the technology committee for the Commission's Economic Development Board along with Dayton Power & Light, Ohio State University and Miami University. DP&L has a lot of diesel powered utility vehicles and the feds want to give a big fatty tax credit for businesses that incorporate renewable energy into their gameplan. OSU has a big extension Ag department with us and there is a big interest in the distribution-friendly locale.

Read it - cheap labor.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top