Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2001 4:13:29 PM EDT
I saw a reference to this in another thread. What exactly is it?
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 4:16:40 PM EDT
[#1]
A school at Ft. Benning that trains South and Central American military personnel in counter-insurgency operations.  I believe it's run by the US Army Special Forces, anybody more in the know than me can feel free to correct me.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 4:17:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like a CIA "training" camp for foreign “freedom fighters” [url]www.patweb.com/soa/index.cfm[/url], but I could be wrong.

edited to fix link
twice
third time's a charm?
fourth time?
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 4:19:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Closing the School of the Americas is a cause celebre for leftists, because they blame the training Latin American officers received there for brutal oppression, torture, and murder committed against communists and priests.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 5:12:17 PM EDT
[#4]
It's been more or less replaced by the Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation, [url]http://www-benning.army.mil/WHISC/[/url].
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 5:15:15 PM EDT
[#5]
But on the other hand, how come so many of them DO become dictators who maintain power by killing the opposition and rob their countries blind?
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 5:18:01 PM EDT
[#6]
When I was at Benning several years ago, I met several students attending this school. Most were foriegn military officers. I believe most of the cadre were Rangers.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 2:43:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 2:57:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I was down at FT benning in 88 ready to finish
up training! i personally seen south american
military being trained down there! at the time
i did not know about the school of americas then
all these years later i found OUT!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top