User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/19/2008 5:50:54 PM EDT
Anybody know?
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 5:52:08 PM EDT
[#1]
They were, but they were all killed off years ago. Now we have black bears.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#2]
You know how to skin Griz?
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't see a bear living in teh desert.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 5:52:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably if you go back far enough in history. Just like Bison and Elk were native to the south east.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Az has mtns and pines and snow too
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Black bears are spotted on Four Peaks just east of Fountain Hills, AZ.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sssshhhhhhh.........!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 5:57:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arizona has everything but a beach.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 5:57:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Probably if you go back far enough in history. Just like Bison and Elk were native to the south east.

This, there is a town not far from here called Elk Creek, Virginia for a reason
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They were, but they were all killed off years ago. Now we have black bears.

IIRC the last AZ Grizzly was killed in 1935.

Link Posted: 12/19/2008 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#11]
So lets reintroduce them to southern Arizona and Northern Mexico
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 6:05:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/19/2008 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Saw something on Discovery or Science Channel some time back about Grizzly bears.  They said in the early days there was a "plains grizzly."  It was reputed to be a bit leaner and longer legged than mountain grizz, plus more aggressive.  The show said they were even in Texas and there were supposed to have been a few Grizzly vs Longhorn battles.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 6:07:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

LOL.....I have a hard time seeing a Grizz survive without ample water....

of course there are those "illegal alien watering stations" that assholes put out for them...

hmmmmmm

this may NOT be such a bad idea......
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

of course there are those "illegal alien watering stations" that assholes put out for them...

hmmmmmm

My thoughts exactly
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, there is a town not far from here called Elk Creek, Virginia for a reason

We have Elk in AZ, but not from the original population. They re-introduced them in 1913 from the herd in Yellowstone.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 6:17:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have the sand just not the water.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Let me check but I think the last one was killed in '47.
BRB
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes there used to be.  My dad did some reading up on it and there was some theories that it was a more nasty tempered than the usual grizzly usual subspecies too.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have the sand just not the water.

We don't have a whole lot of sand, the dunes are over the border in Kalifornistan.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Used to be grizzlies in AZ NM TX and even old MX....

Read up on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Lilly

The ultimate bear hunter

I have a friend who worked as a helper for a guide in MX in the 70s.........they shot a griz and brought the hide back, called it a blonde black bear, when questioned by the BP.

I have hunted bears and the big cats all thru that country but I have not seen any grizzly tracks down there, (past 10 yrs)

This Ben Lilly was the MAN!!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Elmer Keith had pics in one of his books of Grizz trapped in Mexico. Leg hold traps. Elmer would take their picture, then headshoot 'em with a .44 or .45.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
BRB

DAMN!!! THAT LATE?

Link Posted: 12/19/2008 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes there were Grizzlies through out a large portion of the western united states. Plains Grizzlies, Elk and Wolves.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#25]
They were native from around the Miss. river to the west coast, the Elk species native in the south is now extinct
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Hell Ben Lilly tracked a single grizzly one season, from NM down into MX.  When in MX it traveled to another MX state and then up into AZ and was headed to its home country around silver city when he finally caught and killed it.

Read the book!!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hell Ben Lilly tracked a single grizzly one season, from NM down into MX.  When in MX it traveled to another MX state and then up into AZ and was headed to its home country around silver city when he finally caught and killed it.

Read the book!!!

Why? You just told us how it ends.

Link Posted: 12/19/2008 6:40:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lake Havasu City has a beach.  Just no ocean-front property.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Some believe there are still Grizzley in Mexico, maybe a pair will migrate north to Arizona.

A bow hunter killed a Griz in Colorado only about a decade ago.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Mongollon rim.  Google it.

Link Posted: 12/19/2008 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
BRB

DAMN!!! THAT LATE?

Yep.  Last Griz killed in Texas was in the Davis Mountains in 1890.  But the Black Bear is coming back.  Saw one in 1999 west of Mt. Locke.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Some believe there are still Grizzley in Mexico, maybe a pair will migrate north to Arizona.

Link Posted: 12/19/2008 6:50:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That was in '79, IIRC.  Caused a big stink, too.  The guy's name was Ed Wiseman, he was attacked by an old sow grizz, he wound up stabbing it to death with an arrow.  Some say there are still grizzly down in the wilderness areas of the southern Colorado mountains, maybe ranging down into New Mexico.

Link Posted: 12/19/2008 6:54:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was in '79, IIRC.  Caused a big stink, too.  The guy's name was Ed Wiseman, he was attacked by an old sow grizz, he wound up stabbing it to death with an arrow.  Some say there are still grizzly down in the wilderness areas of the southern Colorado mountains, maybe ranging down into New Mexico.

They've also had credible sightings of grizzlies in the Cascades of Washington, and in the central areas of Idaho.

I suspect the state game agencies downplay them because if there were a viable population of grizzlies in their state they'd inherit all sorts of unwanted federal attention in the form of the Endangered Species Act.

Kinda what some eastern game managers have done with the cougar.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 6:55:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.......... Black Bears live all over down there.  They even go out on the FLAT ASS NO WATER DESERT and eat the prickly pear cactus when  the fruit is ripe.

Link Posted: 12/19/2008 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Washington and Idaho do have documented populations of grizzlies

Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico do not

Link Posted: 12/19/2008 6:56:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you kidding me??? We got miles of beaches........all the way to the nearest ocean at Rocky Point!!!        

Link Posted: 12/19/2008 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Not in the past 30 yrs that is, but 60 yrs ago or more it was almost common

Link Posted: 12/19/2008 7:00:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
BRB

Pretty sure you are correct - there was a little story in Arizona Highways about it last year I think.  Unfortunately I cannot find the article now,  I just remember thinking how awesome that would have been to see.

There have also been two unconfirmed but credible grizzly sightings in Arizona in the past 10 years from what I recall in that article - one near Cochise Stronghold and one up in the Apache reservation.  I have my doubts, but it sure would be cool if there are still a few around here.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Hence a reintroduction attempt like with the wolves

Just release 4-5 females first and see how they do

Bears can come from Yellowstone area
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 7:05:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Washington has small populations that come over the border from Canada.  But they don't have any evidence they have arrived the populated areas around Mount Rainer/Mount St. Helens.  They had a sighting in that area a few years ago and all the hikers and campers sh*t a brick.

Idaho's populations are up in the panhandle and over by Yellowstone.  They had a credible sighting in the Clearwater area a few years ago not too far from my cabin that caused quite a stir.

Because grizzlies are still a threatened species –– the Bush Administration has started the delisting process –– any grizzly population in the 48 states means extra work and headaches for the local game managers.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Washington has small populations that come over the border from Canada.  But they don't have any evidence they have arrived the populated areas around Mount Rainer/Mount St. Helens.  They had a sighting in that area a few years ago and all the hikers and campers sh*t a brick.

Idaho's populations are up in the panhandle and over by Yellowstone.  They had a credible sighting in the Clearwater area a few years ago not too far from my cabin that caused quite a stir.

Because grizzlies are still a threatened species –– the Bush Administration has started the delisting process –– any grizzly population in the 48 states means extra work and headaches for the local game managers.

Sorry I was only referring to the CO, NM, AZ part

Link Posted: 12/19/2008 7:09:14 PM EDT
[#43]
I saw a black bear in 37B during my javalina hunt in AZ in 2007. I had heard that there have been some seen there but this was the first time I have seen one there. This area has some large rocks and mountains but is about as close to a "desert" as you will find. I couldnt believe my eyes when I spotted it, neither could my 2 hunting buddies until they saw it either!!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 7:12:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

hmmmmmm

My thoughts exactly

Link Posted: 12/19/2008 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shh! I used to camp on the Rim all the time.

It used to be a nice place until the Payson Heber Highway bypassed Christopher Creek. The year after that happened the amount of idiots up there exponentially increased. Idiots in sedans on the dirt roads, Mexicans splashing around Knoll Lake playing their ranchero music, kids on quads, etc.

I've seen everything from elk, deer, black bears, and even a mountain lion up there. Have yet to be drawn for any game up there either.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 7:18:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry I was only referring to the CO, NM, AZ part

Gotcha.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I can skin' em as fast as you can catch' em

Link Posted: 12/19/2008 7:23:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might want to kill it first.  Grizzly Bear are kind of attached to their skins.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might want to kill it first.  Grizzly Bear are kind of attached to their skins.

Name the film.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#50]
They were native to pretty much all western states.  Only a few still have them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top