Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2001 11:05:15 AM EDT
Gee, dont you feel better already! If I would of know, I would of shown up with some cash and made some deals!  
I know the cops took some home with them, to have drop peices when the cap someone, and to make $$$.
c-rock

Gun buyback takes 408 weapons out of Lake County
By Tony Gordon Daily Herald Legal Affairs Writer
Posted on December 20, 2001
There are two unarmed infantry companies out there somewhere.

Figuratively speaking only, but the firepower taken off the streets of Lake County last weekend through a police-sponsored gun buyback could have been enough to sustain a large battle or a small war.

"Ultimately, by any measure, the program was extremely successful," Sheriff Gary Del Re said Wednesday. "It certainly exceeded our expectations and is a credit to the people of Lake County who chose to dispose of an unwanted weapon in the proper way."

In exchange for a $50 gift certificate and a stuffed animal, 408 guns of all shapes, sizes, ages and usability poured into five collection points throughout the county.

Del Re, the Lake County Metropolitan Enforcement Group and the county's Chiefs of Police Association were looking for guns people did not want in their homes and were there only because they had been passed on by relatives or acquired and then neglected.

"These are guns which will never be used in a crime, never be used to harm a child and never will be stolen in a burglary," Del Re said. "We are still in the process of cataloging them and checking their serial numbers, after which they will be turned over to the crime laboratory and destroyed."

A three-round .50-caliber revolver that looked like it could have been General George Custer's sidearm at the Battle of Little Big Horn, and a flintlock rifle that could have belonged to Daniel Boone took up space on a table next to modern weapons such as a Tek 22 semiautomatic pistol of drive-by shooting design.

http://www.dailyherald.com/cook/main_story.asp?intID=3724526
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 11:10:12 AM EDT
[#1]
They cannot "buyback" what they never owned in the first place.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I dont know about you guys,but I feel safer!
Think of all the
1.Nonfunctional Iver johnsons
2.Rusted up .22 single shot rifles with missing bolts.
3.Single shot shotguns with firing pins that broke off in 1963 from dry firing.
4.Cast .25's and .32's with slides frozen in place and no mag.
5.Bullshit replica's.
6.Cheap derringers that didnt work in the first place.

I for one can sleep easier tonight!
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Catalog and checked serial numbers-Hmmm makes me want to go give em up.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 11:28:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Think of all the
5.Bullshit replica's.

View Quote

Yeah, but I always think about the old lady that hauls the Colt/WWII items/fine handguns/etc/etc collection down that the old man had saved all his life and instead of giving them to the children or other family members she thinks this is the best thing for her.

"and then when he died, I just didn't feel safe with them in the house"
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Tek 22 semiautomatic pistol of drive-by shooting design.
View Quote

Whats a drive-by shooting design?
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#6]
If the reason for the buyback was so that the owners who didn't want them anymore could safely dispose of them then the owners could of just gave them to the Lake County Police to be destroyed.
Why should tax payers pay for destroying an item that won't be used in a crime?

I wonder just how many of the firearms that are bought back for $50 in relatively good shape are resold back on the streets for a profit.

This whole process is FUBAR!

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#7]
There are two unarmed infantry companies out there somewhere.

Figuratively speaking only, but the firepower taken off the streets of Lake County last weekend through a police-sponsored gun buyback could have been enough to sustain a large battle or a small war.
View Quote

What a jerk! Typical liberal BS!

A three-round .50-caliber revolver that looked like it could have been General George Custer's sidearm at the Battle of Little Big Horn, and a flintlock rifle that could have belonged to Daniel Boone took up space on a table next to modern weapons such as a Tek 22 semiautomatic pistol of drive-by shooting design.
View Quote

So the Tek was designed to be used in drive-by shootings. What an asshole!

Link Posted: 12/20/2001 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#8]
The junk gun buyback program pops it head up again.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 11:35:09 AM EDT
[#9]
     I have been present when a buyback or two has been done. I have almost never seen anything but junk come in. Good deal for garbage!
     The one time I did a little old man came in with an engraved Colt double barrel shotgun. I stopped him and sent him down to the local gun store. He made a lot more money there.
     Oh yeah- pretty broad brush there C-rock!
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe it is the type of handgun gangbangers use that is held sideways and the sights aren't used when you shoot it resulting in everything except for the target getting a hole in it. And this design doesn't shoot bullets, it pops-a-CAP into someone. [;D] Know wut I'm sayin?

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]  
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 11:56:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah, but I always think about the old lady that hauls the Colt/WWII items/fine handguns/etc/etc collection down that the old man had saved all his life and instead of giving them to the children or other family members she thinks this is the best thing for her.

"and then when he died, I just didn't feel safe with them in the house"
View Quote

She wouldnt want them to "Go off" there in the closet.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#12]
$204,000.00 for a bunch o'junk somebody ought to point that out to the taxpayers. Not even worth that in scrap value.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tek 22 semiautomatic pistol of drive-by shooting design.
View Quote

View Quote

This POS jams every three rounds or so.  Must not be too effective in a drive-by.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 5:18:56 PM EDT
[#14]
um...er...408*50= 20,400.00
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#15]
There is a group here that goes down to any "buy back" and sets up a card table across the street and buys the good, working firearms before they get a chance to sell them to the PD. They caught a bunch of crap from the media, but the PD said it was legal for them to do this.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
um...er...408*50= 20,400.00
View Quote

you forgot to count the stuff animal..
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Actually...

I know of at least one family member that buys cheap POS guns just so that he can sell them to the Dallas PD if they ever begin a gun buyback program.

I bought a Marlin model 66, a little rusty, but functional, from him for 10 bucks!  He had planned to hold on to it until there was a buyback program. (paid <5 bucks for it...?)

TheRedGoat

Gun buy backs are a joke!
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Think of all the
5.Bullshit replica's.

View Quote

... Don't laugh! I get nice new tennis shoes, cash and $50 dinner vouchers for the junk crap like this.

... My biggest fear is that someone will take a picture of me during the "exchange", it would make it's way to the papers and my reputation would be in the shitter.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#20]
By Tony Gordon Daily Herald Legal Affairs Writer
View Quote

Tony's professor from journalism school needs to buy this sorry ass sucka back.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 7:10:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Those in Michigan who wish they could have taken advantage of that buy back have a chance to get in on one in Michigan.  This weekend, Dec 21 and 22.  $50 each max of 2.

[url]http://www.ag.state.mi.us/press_release/pr10278.htm[/url]

Turn-in Dates: Friday, December 21, and Saturday, December 22, 2001
Time: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
17405 Lahser Road
Detroit, Michigan
Phone: (313) 255-6056
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#22]
"No one has to live another day with a gun in their homes - give us a call and we will come and get it."
View Quote

We'll kick down your door, trample you cat to death, scare yor grandmother into a heart attack, break your furniture, and tear apart you mattress and sofa cushions but hey; you won't have to worry about that pesky firearm will ya?
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe it is the type of handgun gangbangers use that is held sideways and the sights aren't used when you shoot it resulting in everything except for the target getting a hole in it. And this design doesn't shoot bullets, it pops-a-CAP into someone. [;D] Know wut I'm sayin?

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]  
View Quote

Would that be the 'jammy' model or the 'gak'?
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 7:38:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes mam you did the right thing by bringing those guns in to be disposed of. Yes mam those two plastic looking handguns are pretty scarry lookin. And the rifle, that black rifle there with a big scope on it that says Raptor. Got to be scarry having those in your house mam. Here is your 50 dollar vouchers mam. I'll take care of those for you. Yeah sure, thanks officer! LOL
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 12:05:41 PM EDT
[#26]
I was waiting for someone to do something about the single-shot 20 gauge gang craze sweeping the country.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 12:26:32 PM EDT
[#27]
A total waste of time and money. The Punks keep all the good stuff!!
Hell I would not sell my Glock for $50.00!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top