Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2001 4:47:31 PM EDT
Watch out for grey Jeep Cherokee's if you drive in Phoenix.  Two people in a vheicle of that type are going around shooting people for thrills.

2 motorists shot in E. Valley; officials probing link
Christina Leonard
The Arizona Republic
Dec. 19, 2001 09:10:00

Authorities are investigating whether two apparent random drive-by shootings are related.

About 4:30 a.m., a 52-year-old motorist was sitting in her vehicle at the intersection of McDowell and Higley roads in Mesa when another vehicle pulled up about and somebody inside that vehicle began shooting at her, said Detective Tim Gaffney, a police spokesman.

The woman was hit several times by gunfire, but managed to pull up to the gates at the Boeing plant, 5000 E. McDowell Road, and tell a guard what had happened.

The woman was taken by helicopter to Scottsdale Healthcare Memorial Osborn Hospital. Her condition was unknown this morning, but her wounds do not appear life-threatening.

Half an hour earlier, another man was shot while he was driving south on the Beeline Highway.

A gray, newer model Jeep Cherokee with two people inside also was traveling south on the highway when it pulled up next to the victim and began firing, said Detective Bill Knight, a spokesman with the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office.

One round went through the victim's door and hit the motorist in the lower back, Knight said. The victim was able to pull over to a gas station at Fort McDowell Road and Beeline Highway, where he called for help.

The man was taken to Scottsdale Healthcare Memorial Osborn Hospital with a superficial wound, Knight said.

"At this point, both agencies are doing separate investigations," Knight said. "But there are similarities."
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:49:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a good opprotunity for the AR15.com army in the Phoenix area.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#2]
... This directly affected me today.  As I was driving to work I got about 1.5 miles away and realized that traffic was not moving. I buzzed over a mile east and got a little closer to the plant but still couldn't get to work.
I then remembered a seldom used, out of the way back route to the plant.

... Seems that the poor woman that was shot drove about a half mile and up to our guard shack and collapsed after asking for help.

... Mesa PD blocked off the entire perimeter and was telling everyone there was a shooting at the plant (knuckleheads).

... Made for a hectic morning. The subject came up today in our staff meeting and after a long conversation about it and long silence afterwards I mentioned aloud "[i][b]All the more reason to obtain your Concealed Weapons Permit[/b][/i]". - Most the guys and some ladies said "Hell Yeah"!
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I just heard that on the radio today on the way to work.

Too bad the AR doesn't conceal as well as the Glock...
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
..Too bad the AR doesn't conceal as well as the Glock...
View Quote

I'm not able to get my ccw for another 10 months but I am lucky to live in an area where I can drive around with my bushy in my truck rack.  I even go to work with it there.  My boss doesn't mind at all.  I guess it helps that he is a shooter and I work at his house/shop with only about 3 other people. [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top