Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2001 7:48:34 AM EDT
A friend of mine has a 1971 NRA commemorative Winchester Musket(26" barreled Winchester 94 in 30-30.) It is an heirloom from his stepfather and has remained unfired for 30 years.After doing some research, he found that it is worth today what it was purchased for new in '71. Apparently, commemorative firearms are only valuable to collectors if all original packaging and paperwork is included, so his $300 rifle is just that, a $300 rifle, new and unfired. It it really cool and has a an adjustable flip-up rear sight and full mannlicher sort of stock. He is considering firing it at 11:59 and 12:01 on New Years so it will have had one round fired in it's first 30 years. My question to all of you is this: Given that the rifle is not really worth anything more than it's value as a rifle, are there any other reasons not to enjoy this firearm. I am of the opinion that guns are made to be fired, but I might be missing something.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:55:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I would do a little more research. If it's truly unfired, it should still bring more than a comparable, plain model.

If it's truly not worth that much more, go ahead and use it.  We're not talking about a huge amount of money here.  If he's planning to fire just 2 shots out of it he might as well go the whole hog.  Even after 2 shots it's no longer unfired.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:56:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Well I have a Winchester 94 Illinois Commerative in bright nickle finish.  It really is beautiful with the engraving and shiny finish.  I shoot it all the time and enjoy it!!  I agree that all guns should be fired but I also know that I treat this one a little extra special.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:00:22 AM EDT
[#3]
gunmonkey, My Gun Traders Guide list the value of the gun you've described as $425 bucks, given that it is un-fired and in mint condition it should be worth in the neighborhood of $550 - $600 bucks.
I would not shoot it, because it is worth almost twice what it was worth new. I would not trust the yahoo who told you it was worth no more than when bought.

My 2 cents
Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top