Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2001 8:54:32 AM EDT
Me and my colleagues are getting together for a festivus party tonite.  We got the pole and everything!  It's not a dig at any religon (I'm a church goer), just a quirky, nerdy thing to do.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
just a quirky, nerdy thing to do.
View Quote

hmmmmm, that does sound nerdy, very nerdy. [smoke]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:13:33 AM EDT
[#2]
You got the pole, huh? [rolleyes]

What the hell is festivus?
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:14:47 AM EDT
[#3]
But Festivus isn't until the 23rd!  

I think it's hilarious that you're having this party.  Sounds like fun.  So, what will your "Feat of Strength" be?
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget the "Festivus Airing of the Grievances" and the "Festivus Feats of Strength".
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:16:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I think it's hilarious that you're having this party.  Sounds like fun.  So, what will your "Feat of Strength" be?
View Quote

We are having a softair competetion.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, but the 23rd is on a Sunday. That would interfere with NFL football.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:17:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you ever watch Seinfeld?  Festivus is a holiday that George Castanza's father made up in lieu of Christmas.  It's really pretty funny.  You have a Festivus pole instead of a Christmas tree, there's a ceremony where you air your grievances, and you do feats of strength.  It cracks me up.  [<]:)]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:18:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's a ficticious (until now!) holiday invented by George on the Seinfeld show.  It was his response to general disdain for the traditional events.  No I'm not trying to outdo Kawwannzaa.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#9]
No, I never watched Seinfeld. Seinfeld was the anti-funny. If you taped an episode of Seinfeld on a VCR tape with an episode of something funny, like Quick Draw McGraw or Ren & Stimpy, there would be an explosion that could end life as we know it.

Don't cross the streams.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:28:43 AM EDT
[#10]
If there can be a kwanzaa then there can also be a Festivus, I say we should move it to the 26th so all the bull shit holidays are together!
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:46:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fight Shatner?  Damn, that's funny...!

FESTIVUS!
IIRC, it's from Jerry Seinfeld.  I can't remember the whole story.  Who's got the story?

I'd wrestle Uhura ANY DAY.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:50:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If there can be a kwanzaa then there can also be a Festivus, I say we should move it to the 26th so all the bull shit holidays are together!
View Quote

Yes, Fesitvus is a buellshite holiday, thats the whole idea!  We plan to mock the big Kwa anyway.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Make sure your pole is nice and polished.
BrenLover
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Ahhhhhh, Festivus!!

[size=5] You want some? YOU GOT IIIIIIIIT!! [/size=5]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ahhhhhh, Festivus!!

[size=5] You want some? YOU GOT IIIIIIIIT!! [/size=5]

Love the sig line, baby.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#16]
I always wanted to wrestle the blonde (female) Yeoman on the Enterprise (assistant nurse/good-looking extra on the bridge) in the blue uniform.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:03:43 AM EDT
[#17]
HAPPY FESTIVUS TO ALL! [beer]

and may KWANZAA CLAUSE bring you a new glass pipe or something like that????????[devil]
[-!-!-]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Festivus  for the rest of us.

Who wants to donate. I'm collecting for the Human Fund.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:18:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd donate but i'm busy giving up the Mastery of my Domain. [smoke]

BrenLover
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Not being a Seinfeld fan, I had no idea what Festivus was.

I had assumed the "pole" was for the stripper during her routine.

[BD]

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 1:53:06 PM EDT
[#21]
[b][blue]All About Festivus[/blue][/b]

Many Christmas's ago, Frank Costanza went to buy a doll for his son. He went to reach for it because it was the last one, but so did another man and as Frank rained blows upon him, he thought there could be another way. The doll was destroyed, but out of that, a new holiday was born. It was called Festivus. A festivus for the rest-iv-us..........

[img]http://www.crazygrrl.com/cards/card_pics/grievances.gif[/img]

During the last few weeks in December when Festivus takes place, families and friends get together at the dinner table and have something called "the Airing of Grievances". During this time, we share with family and friends all the ways they have disappointed over the past year.

[img]http://www.crazygrrl.com/cards/card_pics/feats.gif[/img]

After the Airing of Grievances, we get together right in the same night to do something called "Feats of Strength". This is where the head of the household tests his/her strength with another friend or family member. The great honour is given out to a different person each year.

[img]http://www.crazygrrl.com/cards/card_pics/pole.gif[/img]

Now for the pole. No it is not a tree. A pole, no decorations. Frank Costanza believes that tinsel is very distracting so there are no decorations. The pole is tall, silver, hollow, long, skinny, and heavy.

[img]http://www.interlog.com/~porteous/nhf.gif[/img]

In honor of this holiday, Kramerica Industries made a donation to the Human Fund under your name if you are a part of Kramerica Industries.

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 1:57:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Kwanzaa came early, and Abu-Jamal got his wish.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 2:07:30 PM EDT
[#23]
DAMN!  

I wish I was in GA for the big FESTIVUS party!!

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Serenity Now!

Van De Hay Enterprises

The bes gift for Fesitivus, The "Manziere".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top