Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2008 6:56:34 PM EDT
WASHINGTON – Attorney General Michael Mukasey collapsed during a speech Thursday night and was being taken to a hospital.

Associate Attorney General Kevin O'Connor said Mukasey began shaking while addressing the Federalist Society at a Washington hotel.

"He just started shaking and he collapsed," O'Connor said. "They're very concerned."

O'Connor said he did not know whether Mukasey, 67, had regained consciousness."

Mukasey was 20 minutes into his speech before he collapsed.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#1]
oh noes
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Collapsed?

Why should he be any different from anyone else in the Bush administration?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:26:33 PM EDT
[#3]
His replacement can start early.

Maisy, Come here.  did you hear him?  did he really say that?  he didn't mean it did he?

I dunno, I don't see any sarcasm smiley.  But Danby usually doesn't use those.  He hooks more people without them.

I think he was kidding.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like a stroke
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Lupus?  
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:52:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I hope he turns out alright
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Lupus?  

It's never lupus.  

If it is a stroke, I hope the docs were able to treat him fast and hopefully minimize any permanant damage.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I just saw the vid on yahoo (check the main link on druge).

Definitely a stroke.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#10]
What is his political side?  left right?

I hope he's alright.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Definitely a stroke.

Amazing how you know that from watching an :18 video clip.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#12]
It appears to be a classical stroke and not a heart attack, but everyone reacts differently.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely a stroke.

He gets paid good money to do that.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:39:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I hope he's alright.

I don't think the right exists anymore.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope he's alright.

I don't think the right exists anymore.

I agree 100%  I just meant left or a little more right lol
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:41:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely a stroke.

Trust me, I'm a professional.

Mukasey, 67, was giving a spirited defense of the Bush administration's legal policies when his speech began to slur and he lost track of his thoughts roughly 30 minutes into his talk. Seconds later, he became rigid and then began to slump.

Stroke.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:41:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely a stroke.

Trust me, I'm a professional.

Isn't is profeshunal?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:44:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Strokes are frightening. I wish him and his family the best.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#19]
well.......... bye
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
well.......... bye

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#21]
One of my few fears in life is a freakin stroke. I pray that he will recover.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:53:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Attorney General Michael Mukasey Receives 'Clean Bill of Health' After Thursday Collapse
Justice Department Says Mukasey Did Not Suffer a Stroke or a Heart-Related Incident

By PIERRE THOMAS, JASON RYAN and THERESA COOK
Nov. 21, 2008  

U.S. Attorney General Michael Mukasey has received a "clean bill of health" and expects to return to work at the Justice Department after his release from the hospital this afternoon, a Justice Department spokeswoman said Friday morning.

U.S. Attorney General Michael Mukasey was rushed to a hospital after he collapsed during a speech he was giving in Washington. Mukasey, 67, was delivering remarks on the Bush administration's anti-terrorism policies at the Federalist Society's annual meeting when he collapsed at the podium around 10:20 p.m. ET Thursday.

Earlier Friday, Talamona said test results had been "reassuring," and that doctors found "no indication that he suffered a stroke or any heart-related incident." She later added that results from various tests, including a CT scan, MRI, stress echocardiogram, and treadmill stress test, came back normal. "Everything looks great," she said.

Mukasey spent an "uneventful night" at the hospital and was "very alert." The incident "really appears to have been a fainting spell," likely triggered by hot lights and the late-night speech, Talamona said.

"He is ready to sprint to finish the race. He is really ready to get back to the office," she said, adding that the deputy attorney general, Mark Filip, planned to brief him at the hospital.

Talamona, who said the attorney general gets up early every morning and works out on the elliptical [machine]," said doctors characterized Mukasey as "very fit."

President Bush spoke to the attorney general this morning before departing for the APEC summit in Peru. "The AG sounded well and is getting excellent care," according to a White House statement.

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani also spoke to Mukasey this morning. "They had a good conversation and he sounded good," a Giuliani spokeswoman said.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:45:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I hope he's alright.

First appointed by cross dressing guliani
Appointed to current post by gwbush
In June 2003, Democratic New York Senator Charles Schumer submitted Mukasey's name, along with four other Republicans or Republican appointees, as a suggestion for Bush to consider for nomination to the Supreme Court.

He's a lib, I do not share your hope.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top