Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2008 10:04:17 AM EDT
NOTICE TO IRVING STUDENTS

To:All Irving Students
Date:November 19, 2008
Re: Security Matters

The well-being of faculty, staff and students has always been DeVry University’s top priority.  With that in mind, I wanted to make you aware of an ongoing situation and let you know what we are doing to address it.

On Tuesday, November 18, we were notified of a disturbing message written on the wall of the men’s bathroom at the Irving campus.   Once we were notified, we involved our campus security as well as the local police.  Police arrived on campus soon after and began an investigation.  

The message stated, “I’m gonna kill everyone here on 11/25/08.”  The credibility of this threat is difficult to determine.  We are relying heavily on the advice and direction of our law enforcement officers in determining the right measures to protect the safety of all involved.  We will work with the authorities and review the situation on a daily basis, making whatever adjustments are warranted.  We will also strive to keep you updated as other relevant information becomes available.

At this point, the police have committed to increase patrols of the campus, in addition to off-duty policemen as security guards beginning today from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.  DeVry’s Chief of University Security, Wayne Horne, will be present on campus on Wednesday afternoon to coordinate local law enforcement efforts with those of the DeVry University’s senior leadership team.  

It is our intention to create opportunities for anyone with information about this incident to add input or for others to ask questions or voice concerns.  You are encouraged to do so through DeVry’s anonymous hotline, MySafeWorkPlace.com or 800-461-9330.

In the meantime, we are making the main entrance the only point through which anyone can enter or leave the campus for the foreseeable future.  All students, faculty, staff and guests will be required to show identification or name badge to enter the building.  We appreciate your cooperation with this new safety procedure.

You should always feel free to contact me directly on this or any security-related issue.  

Thank you.

UPDATE:

According to my (un)ex the school wimped out and caved to the threats of terrorists.

They ended up closing the campus for the day. I guess the guy got what he wanted... an extra day of holiday.

update 2 is done by compass in the thread

update 3 an email from compass from her school.

NOTICE TO IRVING STUDENTS

Date:December 23, 2008

It is with regret, during this otherwise joyous and festive season, that I must inform you of the latest security threat facing our campus.

On Friday, December 19, we were notified of another disturbing message found on a men’s restroom on campus.  The message stated, “The time is near.  Everyone will die.”  Unlike the two previous incidents, this message was not date-specific.  We believe the message was written after 5 p.m. on Friday evening.

While law enforcement does not believe there is any imminent danger to our campus with this latest incident, DeVry University will not tolerate such threats against its students, faculty and staff.  We have taken steps to increase security on campus, including increased video surveillance inside and outside the building, increased campus security and limited entry access.  To further ensure a safe and secure environment for everyone at DeVry University, we will be requiring a new sign in/out procedure, effective immediately.  To enter the building, all students, faculty and staff will be required to sign in and show identification at the security desk.  In light of this new procedure, please allow for additional time to access the building.  We apologize for any inconvenience this new procedure may cause, but I’m sure you will agree we need to implement all security measures possible.  

Police Investigation
The Irving Police Department is now investigating this latest threatening message, along with the first two incidents.  We need to help law enforcement with their investigation by providing any information we can that will aid them in arresting the individual(s) who wish to disrupt our campus.  We urge you to think carefully about anything that might possibly relate to the recent threats, including:  
-Unusual student, particularly on the nights the messages were written
-Student conflicts with faculty members or other students
-Student disciplinary issues
-Students/employees with interpersonal problems
-Behavior patterns consistent with the profile of a loner or a person that doesn’t relate well with others
-
To report any information, you may visit MySafeWorkPlace.com or call 800-461-9330.  DeVry University’s offer of a $10,000 reward remains in effect and will be given to the person who provides information that leads to the arrest of the person(s) responsible for these crimes.  The reward is available to student, faculty and staff members.  We thank those students who have provided tips and met with the detectives thus far.  By pulling together as a University community, we will bring an end to this disruptive and illegal behavior.

Thank you for your assistance and diligence in keeping the safety of our campus community a top priority. It is our intent to openly communicate with you when our safety and security are threatened; not to cause alarm, but to ensure you are thoroughly informed.  Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions or concerns.  We will keep you informed of any developments in either of these cases.

Thank you.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:05:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Leave your exes as exes.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:12:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Have you stood up for campus carry lately?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:15:10 AM EDT
[#4]
What sucks is now she cant carry because they are going to be on high security for someone with a gun.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:19:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Someone wants to go on Thanksgiving Break early.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#6]
One entrance and exit? Sounds like a bottle neck and an easy way to pick people off if you were a gunman. Get'em while they bunch up at the door.

Is that a standard procedure? I can understand one entrance, but only one exit as well?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:21:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
One entrance and exit? Sounds like a bottle neck and an easy way to pick people off if you were a gunman. Get'em while they bunch up at the door.

Is that a standard procedure? I can understand one entrance, but only one exit as well?

That's what I thought, pretty stupid.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#8]
DeVry University is a real school?

I thought it was just an online correspondence course deal.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#9]
My suggestion, don't be in that bathroom on 11/25.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wouldn't the campus be closed on 11/25?

Why would the campus be closed that day, aside from the threat?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:39:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, VERY stupid

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My suggestion, don't be in that bathroom on 11/25.

At least in that stall.  "Here" has to mean that building at the most.

Bet the guy has fun watching the security Tuesday.  Maybe he's an unemployed security guard.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:55:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like a student wanted an extra day of Thanksgiving vacation.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:56:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Most likely.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would the campus be closed that day, aside from the threat?

Most of the times, students want to use Wednesday to pack up and go home, or make excuse to get out of the class. My school is taking that day off too.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Probably done by the students across the street at the University of Phoenix. Crazy college kid rivalries.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:12:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Probably done by the students across the street at the University of Phoenix. Crazy college kid rivalries.

zing!

(In before the UofP customers grads)
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Or an Al Queda bump.

Good call on the possible use of the threat to observe the response.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:29:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yeah, that'd be a fantastic idea!

Next week, there would be messages with a dozen other dates for the impending massacre... everyone who wanted a break or had some schedule conflict would resolve it with a mandated vacation.

How about, nobody has ever announced their intention to attack?  How about ignore an obvious stupid prank?  How about stop letting the lowest common denominator drag us all around by our noses?

Maybe they could install metal detectors and have armed guards with dogs force everyone to remove their shoes and belts before entering the building?  That ought to work like a charm...
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:32:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Purdue University. Its an indiana state college with over 40,000 undergrads and over 20,000 grads. Its our last day before break.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Neat-they get a theat and turn the campus into a fatal funnel. Be the perfect place to drop a few glass containers full of sarin/anthrax/plague. All the foot traffic would stir it into the air, and make sure that the maximum ammount of people are in a contagious stage when they get home to their families.

Never mind the damage a shooter/bomber could do-he'd just have to shoot into the crowd to score hits.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:53:14 AM EDT
[#21]
I've heard this story at least 8 times in the past 4 years...Seems to happen a bunch....Always seems to happen right around finals...
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:05:20 PM EDT
[#22]
This reminds me of a deal I witnessed in the restroom while I was at college.

There was a note posted on the wall of the last stall.  It said, "We know who you are and we are watching you."

Apparently someone was drilling a hole through the stall that was facing the urinals and watching dudes take a piss.

Kind of creeped me out.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:09:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

All part of the plan.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:24:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I think they misunderstood the message.

Did anyone check what is being served in the cafeteria on 11/24?
Link Posted: 11/26/2008 5:30:39 AM EDT
[#25]
update in op
Link Posted: 11/26/2008 5:51:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Me stoopid
Link Posted: 11/26/2008 5:57:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

11-25 IS Thanksgiving.

Come again?  11-25 was yesterday, and as far as I know, Thanksgiving has never been on a Tuesday.
Link Posted: 11/26/2008 5:57:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

11-25 IS Thanksgiving.

Um, 11/27 this year.
Link Posted: 11/26/2008 6:02:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

11-25 IS Thanksgiving.

Um, 11/27 this year.

"thanksgiving vacation.... 11/26-12/1"

Now with asshat action it is 11/25-12/1
Link Posted: 11/26/2008 6:07:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

11-25 IS Thanksgiving.

you wanna send a little of what your somke'n to the rest of us, so we can be on that page also? LOL
Link Posted: 11/26/2008 6:08:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

11-25 IS Thanksgiving.

Um, 11/27 this year.

Holy cow I can't believe I did that.  I threw away my November desktop calendar page this morning.  When I read the OP I looked at my calendar, not thinking it was December and saw that the 25th was on a Thursday.

I'm stupid!  I can't wait for this day to be over!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/26/2008 6:49:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

11-25 IS Thanksgiving.

Um, 11/27 this year.

Holy cow I can't believe I did that.  I threw away my November desktop calendar page this morning.  When I read the OP I looked at my calendar, not thinking it was December and saw that the 25th was on a Thursday.

I'm stupid!  I can't wait for this day to be over!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats a paddlin!!
Link Posted: 11/26/2008 6:52:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Rediculous.
Link Posted: 12/9/2008 2:08:27 PM EDT
[#34]
And yet another one Stupid idiots.

"NOTICE TO IRVING STUDENTS

Date:December 9, 2008

With the continued well-being of students, faculty and staff and as DeVry University’s top priority, I want to make you aware of a new security matter and let you know what we are doing to address it.

On Friday, December 5, we were notified of another disturbing written message on our campus. Following the same procedures as a few weeks ago, we involved campus security and the local police as soon as the writing was brought to our attention.  The police are conducting an investigation into this matter.

As with the last writing, the message was date-specific:  December 16, 2008.  While the credibility of this latest threat is difficult to determine, I want to stress how seriously we are taking these disturbing writings.  

First – we continue to rely heavily on the advice and direction of our law enforcement officers.  We are working with them on a daily basis to review the situation and make whatever adjustments are necessary.  We will strive to keep you updated as other relevant information becomes available.

Second – the police have committed to increase patrols of the campus once again.  In addition, our off-duty policemen continue to perform as security guards.  

Third – it is our intention to create opportunities for anyone with information about this incident or others to add input, ask questions or voice concerns.  You are encouraged to do so through DeVry’s anonymous hotline, MySafeWorkPlace.com or 800-461-9330.  Law enforcement will also be on campus interviewing people who may have information.

It is important to point out that those who write any threatening messages and are caught will be punished to the fullest extent of the law.  The charge would be Terrorist Threats.
If the offender is a student, he/she will be expelled from DeVry University.

I share this information with you because security is everyone’s responsibility on campus.  While we cannot prevent individuals from making threats against our campus, we are doing all that we can to protect our students, faculty and staff.

Finally – a determination has not been made at this time whether or not to close the campus on the date in question.  We will assess the situation throughout the week and expect to make an announcement by week’s end.  The safety of our students, faculty and staff is our top priority, but we want to proceed with thoughtful consideration and the advice of law enforcement.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions or concerns.  We remain vigilant on protecting our campus and those who attend and work at our campus.  

Thank you."
Link Posted: 12/9/2008 2:12:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Leave your exes as exes.

Some of the best advice ever on this site..

Link Posted: 12/9/2008 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've heard this story at least 8 times in the past 4 years...Seems to happen a bunch....Always seems to happen right around finals...

Last threat was a finals week and this threat is finals week...go figure!

Link Posted: 12/23/2008 10:01:05 AM EDT
[#37]
updated in op
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top