Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 11/14/2008 6:36:16 PM EDT
On his new History channel show tonight he stated that you can shoot a bad guy with a big round or you can shoot him with a 5.56 round and wound him and make 2 people help him.

Flame Away

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#1]
we should do a firemission to help educate him.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#2]
lol well didn't you just wipe YOUR ass with the ARFCOM Koran.

nice knowing you.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:38:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
On his new History channel show tonight he stated that you can shoot a bad guy with a big round or you can shoot him with a 5.56 round and wound him and make 2 people help him.

but that was part of the Army's thought on the new 5.56 round when they thought it up
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:38:45 PM EDT
[#4]
He's just reading the script.

But maybe he should inquire about the Iraqi hospitals PACKED with wounded terrorists.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:38:58 PM EDT
[#5]
That was doctrine for years but in modern warfare, not so much.

Give the old fart a break.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah that is retarded
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Newsflash......He is just an actor that was in the Corp 40 or so years ago.  

This does not make him a firearms expert.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:39:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That was part of the objective behind the deployment of the .30 cal carbine during WWII.

kind
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Ermey, R. Lee Ermey.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

He proved it on his new show tonight.

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#11]
He's getting paid to do those shows... so no, he's not.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#12]
So what he's saying is that even if you don't kill the BG with a 5.56 round, it isn't necessarily a bad thing, from a tactics standpoint. Exactly what is incorrect about that?
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was part of the objective behind the deployment of the .30 cal carbine during WWII.

kind

Where the hell did that come? Everything I've ever read about the carbine was that it was designed as a PDW.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#14]
how dare you speak ill of the most holy one of ARFCOM.

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Flame Away

you do realize he is the host, not a writer or producer

he is just following the script, you act as if that was the only mistake made on the show
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:43:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Flame Away

I think he's damn right.

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:44:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Exactly

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:44:11 PM EDT
[#18]
wounded soldiers use more resourses and manpower than dead ones either way most of the time they are out of the fight

and for those that think the 5.56 was developed as a super man-killer
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:44:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So what he's saying is that even if you don't kill the BG with a 5.56 round, it isn't necessarily a bad thing, from a tactics standpoint. Exactly what is incorrect about that?

Because wounded people can shoot and kill you
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Flame Away

I was watching... and I went. "Oh fucking hell. ARFCOM is going to blow an O-ring over this"  followed by a facepalm.  Relax,  it is television.  It is the same network that does shows on UFOs and Monsters.

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flame Away

I was watching... and I went. "Oh fucking hell. ARFCOM is going to blow an O-ring over this"  followed by a facepalm.  Relax,  it is television.  It is the same network that does shows on UFOs and Monsters.

I glad I posted this thread now.

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flame Away

I think he's damn right.

He is right but I use a big bore.

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

kind

I would NEVER want to be in the sights of a 30 carbine.5.56 neither but less so.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

In a combat situation it is better to wound and make the enemy use resources to care for and evacuate the soldier. By wounding, you have taken not only him, but two other combatants off the battlefield. Plus, by wounding a man, you have slowed down any enemy advance.
That being said, the 5.56 NATO round is a capable round and is more than adequate for one shot kills.

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

so can a 4 year old whats your point

linky

doesnt make them tacticaly effective
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:50:02 PM EDT
[#26]
You know......I don't think I want to be the guy who actually tells the Gunney he is an idiot in person.

Would not surprise me a bit if the old Sargeant had a can or two of whupass still laying about.  Bet he could open one up right quick if he was so inclined.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#27]
not to hijack this thread, but What the Hell has the History Channel come to?

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:51:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Not so different from 'future weapons'. They follow a script, they may not agree with what they say, but they want to get paid.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#29]
FYI:  That was pretty much a common statement when I was in the Corp in the late 70's.  It wasn't so much a slight to the M16 but rather an actual tactic against an opposing force of superior numbers.  As my DI first said it, " Kill an enemy soldier and his buddies step over him, wound one and he requires the help of another or possible two."    Wounded soldiers deplete resources both human and supply.

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:52:19 PM EDT
[#30]
History Channel? I don't get that any more because they went digital and I'm slow to change with the times. Not to mention there's no such thing as the History Channel any more. Now there is a Ice Road Truckers/Monster Quest channel though.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
how dare you speak ill of the most holy one of ARFCOM.

yeah he's fucked.

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:52:45 PM EDT
[#32]
next week he will be hunting bigfoot with the 556
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#33]
The main problem with this theory, is that it uses an American thought process.

And not all of our adversaries follow with the caring for their wounded comrades and will just leave them where they lie.

and I thought the show was great.
But the 'shadow force' show is.........

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
FYI:  That was pretty much a common statement when I was in the Corp in the late 70's.  It wasn't so much a slight to the M16 but rather an actual tactic against an opposing force of superior numbers.  As my DI first said it, " Kill an enemy soldier and his buddies step over him, wound one and he requires the help of another or possible two."    Wounded soldiers deplete resources both human and supply.

Yep. If he actually believes it, it is probably because he was taught that while he was in the Marine Corps. An amazing amount of incorrect info is taught as fact in the military.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Holy Crap!  A TV show was wrong about something?  The fucking stars must be aligned because that never happens!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#36]
You do realize that goat nipples really aren't that bad if you give her a bath first don't you?

It's a helluva lot easier than woooing a goose. They're snobby as hell.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

linky

Why are riflemen trained to shoot COM? If wounding is such a great tactic lets shoot arms and legs. There are plenty of reasons 5.56 is more practical than 7.62 for an infantry weapon. Wounding instead of killing isn't one of them.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:57:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The main problem with this theory, is that it uses an American thought process.
And not all of our adversaries follow with the caring for their wounded comrades and will just leave them where they lie.

there are exceptions to every rule
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Hes an old-school marine.
Give him a break and email him about it. He's cool.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Notice how the low post count newbies keep supporting this long debunked myth.

When you SHOOT someone, you want to take him down.  Any idiot who designs a weapon to WOUND, has designed a weapon that doesn't fucking work!!!

If 5.56 was really so fucking weak, why would M4 carbines in close quarters combat?  In close proximity to the enemy, you want him dead ASAP.

This (stupid) theory about wounding only works when you are far away enough so that the wounded soldier can no longer shoot back you, and his buddies can be bothered to save his ass.

Islamic terrorists barely value their own lives, let alone anyone else's life.  This "wounding" myth is SO FUCKING STUPID, I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU N00BS STILL BELIEVE IT.

Go back to trolling OT
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. If he actually believes it, it is probably because he was taught that while he was in the Marine Corps. An amazing amount of incorrect info is taught as fact in the military.

+1
A  friend of mine is a combat engineer in the Army. I let him shoot my AKs and he was told in basic that they M240 fires the same round. Also thought 5.56 tumbled in the air
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#42]
ive met the guy and hes a good shit. stayed 2 hours past his scheduled time to make sure every fan got his autograph and a picture with him.

he does alot for troop morale.

i heard alot of BS statements on the show, but i let it slide- since hes just reading a script. and the show is probably aimed towards younger people.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't get where he's wrong.

5.56 isn't an insta-kill. And knocking out 3 guys is better than knocking out 1. He's not saying 5.56 can ONLY wound. He's just saying you have a better chance of wounding with a small caliber, like a 5.56, than a larger one, like a .30-06
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

linky

Why are riflemen trained to shoot COM? If wounding is such a great tactic lets shoot arms and legs. There are plenty of reasons 5.56 is more practical than 7.62 for an infantry weapon. Wounding instead of killing isn't one of them.

did you help design this round or is this more great speculation

do any of us know
do any of us know where the history chanel got this info from
for all we know they could have gotten this info from the creators of the 5.56 or if there all dead they could have read actual time period military documentatio
the fact is  
WE DONT KNOW
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flame Away

I think he's damn right.

It takes more resources to care for a wounded man than to deal with a dead one.  And both are out of the fight.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 7:11:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

linky

did you help design this round or is this more great speculation

do any of us know
do any of us know where the history chanell got this info from
for all we know they could have gotten this info from the creators of the 5.56 or if there all dead they could have read actual time period military documentatio
the fact is  
WE DONT KNOW

Umm, yes we do know It's not some state secret where the 5.56 round came from. Research showed that full power .30 cal cartridges where overkill for typical engagement distances. Smaller, lighter rounds also allowed a soldier to carry more ammo, and thereby shoot more often. The commercial .222 Remington case was lengthened to allow for increased velocity, creating the .223.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Notice how the low post count newbies keep supporting this long debunked myth.

When you SHOOT someone, you want to take him down.  Any idiot who designs a weapon to WOUND, has designed a weapon that doesn't fucking work!!!

If 5.56 was really so fucking weak, why would M4 carbines in close quarters combat?  In close proximity to the enemy, you want him dead ASAP.

This (stupid) theory about wounding only works when you are far away enough so that the wounded soldier can no longer shoot back you, and his buddies can be bothered to save his ass.

Islamic terrorists barely value their own lives, let alone anyone else's life.  This "wounding" myth is SO FUCKING STUPID, I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU N00BS STILL BELIEVE IT.

Go back to trolling OT

because post count makes you smart
and 1510 in less than 10 months makes you very smart
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

kind

HORSESHIT

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
...Flame Away...

People only say that after they KNOW they posted something incredibly stupid. (Granted you post nothing BUT incredibly stupid things.)

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#50]
R Lee Ermey kicks ass.

He is one of the good guys.  You might not agree, but calling him an idiot is a little more derogatory then I would go with.

Lots of people I like believe stupid things about guns (9mm sucks, AK > AR, etc. )  I guess we can add Ermey to the list.

eta: He probably has a script to read from, and he went home complaining to his wife what an idiot the history channel people are.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top