Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/13/2008 8:16:14 PM EDT
I found this story online... Crazy stuff.
Link

(If this is a dupe, go ahead and lock it up)
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 8:17:47 PM EDT
[#1]
free honey!
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 8:18:58 PM EDT
[#2]
That is nuts
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#3]
would honey be damaged by the bug killer?
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 8:19:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I found this story online... Crazy stuff.
Link

(If this is a dupe, go ahead and lock it up)

that is one of the most interesting and cool things i have seen in a while.

dude needs to grill more though.....
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

i was just thinking that
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 8:23:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I was wondering the same thing. Would be a shame to have to throw that away...
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i was just thinking that

yes. dont even try eating that.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i was just thinking that

Pesticide on honey.....bad for you?
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#9]
He really should not of done that. There is a shortage of bees, and they are very vital right now. He could of called someone and the would of removed them for free.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 8:26:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Sad !

Bees are very beneficial to crops and gardens not to mention that honey is great to have  , they could have just called a swarm control person and had it taken care off !
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 8:27:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
He really should not of done that. There is a shortage of bees, and they are very vital right now. He could of called someone and the would of removed them for free.

I'm not sure these are the useful European honeybees that farmers are in need of. If these were africanized, they would have been killed anyway.

ETA: Probably would have been best to at least to find out whether they were africanized though...
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No

Link Posted: 11/13/2008 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure these are the useful European honeybees that farmers are in need of. If these were africanized, they would have been killed anyway.

ETA: Probably would have been best to at least to find out whether they were africanized though...

If they were africanized he would have never gotten that close to them !
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 9:06:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit!! I remember this one time when we were on the east side of town and...Oh wait!!

Link Posted: 11/13/2008 9:20:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn that's crazy. I do agree with the bee shortages. This year I had 0 green beens due to the fact that there were 0 bees to pollinate them.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 9:25:14 PM EDT
[#16]
What a waste.  A call to a local beekeeper would've been a much better route to take.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#17]
The SO sent me pics of their Bee infestation that filled the water meter box completely with honey comb.  She was slowley killing them off with bug spray when she saw them, never knew they were using the box in the ground as the hive.  She threw out like 10lbs of honey comb.

Got to see where those pics are.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 9:26:51 PM EDT
[#18]
<––-me reading through that
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The SO sent me pics of their Bee infestation that filled the water meter box completely with honey comb.  She was slowley killing them off with bug spray when she saw them, never knew they were using the box in the ground as the hive.  She threw out like 10lbs of honey comb.

If you find them, please post'em!
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didnt he say he did this under cover of darkness (at night)?
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 9:30:37 PM EDT
[#21]
You all need to read the Oh dear Lord! Bees! thread thread
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I would have left them alone and bought a cheap grill for the season. Would have been reading up on harvesting honey. Hell he didn't even need a grill from the looks of it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 9:34:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/13/2008 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No shit, that guy is a DUMBASS!!

What a waste.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#25]
That is an impressive hive. He probably wasn't thinking anything about preserving the bees, just getting them away from his house as fast and as easily as possible.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That is an impressive hive. He probably wasn't thinking anything about preserving the bees, just getting them away from his house as fast and as easily as possible.

....& that would have been as easy as picking up the phone & calling a beekeeper, with no chance of having the bees swarm him like he could of had happen.

Most beekeepers I know will come ASAP, at your beckoning.

What he did just burns me! Having bees on my property, I see first hand how they affect my garden, my fruit trees & the farmers crops. Like I said what a waste.

Link Posted: 11/13/2008 10:08:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Some perspective:

BBQ beehive 'bomber' comes forward

The mystery man who outraged many readers by destroying a beehive that had taken over his BBQ has been found.

Perth man Joshua Horton contacted ninemsn in response to dozens of angry comments, in some of which he was labelled "ignorant" and "cruel".
"I don't think people fully understand what actually happened," Mr Horton, 22, said.
"We really had no idea how many insects were under there.
"It wasn't making much noise at all — I thought there was maybe 20 bees or a little paper wasp's nest under there."
In pictures that quickly circulated via email, Horton documented himself taping a cockroach bomb to a garden rake before pushing it underneath a BBQ cover last Wednesday.
When he returned minutes later, over 1000 dead bees littered the scene — and eight large combs of honey were left hanging from the BBQ's wooden shelf.

The mechanical designer says the BBQ was last left unused for less than two months, and he was amazed that the huge hive had been built in such a small space of time.
"I couldn't believe the sound coming from under there when I put the can underneath," Mr Horton said.
"I know people are upset, but I guarantee that if we had known the size of the beehive we would have called the professionals in to remove them."
Horton says he was intent on cleaning the BBQ because he needed it for a charity sausage sizzle last weekend.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=665338
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 10:22:36 PM EDT
[#28]
No africanised bees here.  Not sure about the lack of european honey bees either
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 11:00:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I laughed pretty hard reading through that.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 11:02:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

We could always ask all our favorite democratic leaders to taste test it first.

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 1:21:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Oh yeah, I'm betting they didn't know they had the comb and honey under there or they would have used a non-toxic method.

In any case, even if it didn't poison it, who wants to eat honey that tastes like bug killer?
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 1:45:11 AM EDT
[#32]
No idea why people are giving him a hard time.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 1:48:35 AM EDT
[#33]
DAIYUM!!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 1:58:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Because honey bees are actually very useful, and valuable.  

My grandfather and father were both bee keepers.  Most bee-keepers keep a "swarm list" of people looking for bees to populate hives.  If you call them, they'll happily come out, remove the swarm or hive, and relocate it to somebody's place who wants them.

Now... if it's hornets, wasps, yellow jackets, or africanized bees?  That's another story... those things are hateful, and you can kill 'em all.

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 2:00:05 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

What a waste. A call to a local beekeeper would've been a much better route to take.

This, they would kill to get a hive that big.

They come in, take the queen and the rest follow.

Pretty amazing to watch.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 2:01:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because honey bees are actually very useful, and valuable.  

My grandfather and father were both bee keepers.  Most bee-keepers keep a "swarm list" of people looking for bees to populate hives.  If you call them, they'll happily come out, remove the swarm or hive, and relocate it to somebody's place who wants them.

Now... if it's hornets, wasps, yellow jackets, or africanized bees?  That's another story... those things are hateful, and you can kill 'em all.

They had no idea there were that many there before he did it.  He was just looking out for his family.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 2:46:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Well if the bee's wouldn't have hidden their super hive where he couldn't properly assess their value.....
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 2:54:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yup !

Ignorant people prevail. That by the way WAS a very strong hive with a good Queen.

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 2:59:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No

hell yea its damaged anything that bad ass to kill that many that fast you don't want to eat it  .  I have used soapy water and in wall where you cant get to it Bengal roach spray.

Shame is that would have been an easy one for any beekeeper to catch.  Just cut the comb put in frames and instant hive.  Back when I did this sort of thing I would just use my beevac suck up all the bees cut the comb  and rehive the bees.  About 1 hour and I would have been out of there.

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 8:22:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Then I ran like the clappers

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 8:35:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Sad !

Bees are very beneficial to crops and gardens not to mention that honey is great to have  , they could have just called a swarm control person and had it taken care off !

Made me cry a little

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 8:40:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Dumbass.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 8:40:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Wow. Until today, I really didn't know what a beehive looked like on the "inside." I mean, I know what honeycomb looks like, the hexagonal cells and whatnot, but I'd never contemplated the whole thing. Would never have guessed that it looked like a stack of waffles. That's impressive.

Don't beat the guy up for killing the bees. It's unfortunate that he did, sure, but he had no idea there was a whole hive under there.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 8:42:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 8:42:56 AM EDT
[#45]
wow
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 8:47:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

there are some pictures of crazy beehives floating around on the 'net. i remember seeing pics of one that filled an old abandoned car to the top of the headrests...

insane what they can do if given enough time.

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup !

Ignorant people prevail. That by the way WAS a very strong hive with a good Queen.

+1

You can't fault the guy too much.  There is zero attention in the media regarding honey bee shortages.

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 8:51:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Fuck's sake.

They need to put some PSAs on the TV or something so people know to call a professional to relocate the bees.  

That was a fucking vile waste to kill all those bees.   If they were Africanized, the one he saw fly out of there would have been enough to get him swarmed.   They were good bees.

On top of that, I'd guess  the poison fuxored the honey in that hive too.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 8:57:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Hmmm, TBK hasn't weighed in yet?
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 9:05:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top