Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2008 8:21:07 PM EDT
Now this is what I call a hate crime!  Come on, seriously?  Wearing a GOP pin on university grounds?  That's a hate crime!

Politics prompted her assault, Augsburg student says

An Augsburg freshman says four women called her racist and punched her on election night after seeing her McCain-Palin button.

By PAUL WALSH, Star Tribune

Last update: November 11, 2008 - 11:05 PM

An Augsburg College student and Sarah Palin supporter from Alaska was beaten on election night while walking to her dorm and was called a racist by a group of four young women because she had on a McCain/Palin presidential campaign button, authorities and the victim said.

Annie Grossmann, a freshman on the Minneapolis college's hockey team, suffered blurred vision and is thought to have had a concussion from a punch in the eye, but declined medical attention, she said.

Through her mother, Grossmann, 18, of Delta Junction, reported the assault to campus security the next morning, and Minneapolis police were notified that afternoon. No arrests have been made.

Grossmann said she was in a dorm lobby with a handful of fellow Republicans watching election returns with "a bunch of Democrats around next to me, cheering [Barack] Obama on and rubbing it in our faces."

Once it was obvious that Obama was going to win, Grossmann said, she left the building alone shortly after 9:30 p.m. and headed to her room.

Under a skyway connecting the two buildings, four women "bigger than I am" came up to her, she said.

"One approached me and got in my face and called me racist because I had the pin on. That really ticked me off, but I kind of left it alone because she was so much bigger than I am," said Grossmann. She is 5 feet 2 and weighs 120 pounds, and played boys high school hockey in Alaska. "The girls in the background were just a little bigger than me. They were mocking me from the sidelines.

"I didn't say anything. ... This one [bigger] girl grabbed me by the shoulders and was holding me. After about five minutes, I just wanted to get out of there."

Grossmann, who is white, said she told the women, who were black, "You guys don't even know me. There's no reason to think I'm racist."

At that point, she said, she pushed the bigger one in the group, and "she punched me, and the back of my head hit a brick wall."

"'Are you serious?''' she recalled saying to the women. After cursing at Grossmann, the women left, and "I held my eye and went to my room."

The team trainer, who checked her out the next day, said she probably had a concussion and barred her from practice for two days. She said she's also been required by the school to attend counseling and missed a day of classes.

As for her future at the college, she said, "I love Augsburg, and I love the team here. I have no plans on leaving." However, she added, "there are a few things that can change here, conservative versus liberal."

Augsburg spokesman Jeff Shelman said the school doubts that the women are students, citing a review of dorm building video surveillance that evening and the fact that the victim didn't recognize any of them.

Grossmann's parents, Bruce and Dawn, said that in the weeks leading up to the presidential election, Annie had trouble on campus because of her political leanings and for being a hunter.

Bruce Grossmann said a "PETA person" had to be removed from her dorm room because he was upset by a photo of her with a black bear she had shot. Also, he said, she attended an icebreaker on campus and was booed when she identified herself as a Republican.

"I don't think she was prepared for the close-mindedness," he said. "I told her she needs to take a lower profile [for the sake of] her academic and her sports careers."

Dawn Grossmann, a Delta Junction City Council member and chairwoman of a state commission that oversees public service funding in Alaska, said some professors and fellow students gave her a hard time for backing the GOP ticket. Citing academic privacy restrictions, Shelman said he could not confirm the other incidents the Grossmanns mentioned.

Dawn Grossmann has met with Palin for government business purposes and sent her daughter Palin campaign T-shirts. Bruce Grossmann said that Annie has also met Palin, is "very proud of Sarah Palin" and considers her "a role model."

Dawn Grossmann described Delta Junction as "small-town conservative" and "being in Minneapolis, that's very much of a change" for her daughter.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/state/34305774.html?page=1&c=y
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:24:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Get used to this type of stuff folks.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:25:59 PM EDT
[#2]
buy ammo
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#3]
So, why haven't when seen Jesse and Al crying about this on TV yet???

Oh yeah, that's right, the victim was white and the thugs were black...
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#4]
but when we defend ourselves and end up victorious? We're demonized? I'm sick of dealing with other americans.

Is that unamerican of me to be sick of other liberal americans?
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:29:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Did I miss it, or was there no mention of pressing charges?     These thug types are going to mess with a gun owner in the near future.   Disparity of force.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:36:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Did I miss it, or was there no mention of pressing charges?     These thug types are going to mess with a gun owner in the near future.   Disparity of force.

Then we'll hear "man with concealed gun shoots unarmed Obama supporters" on the news...

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#7]
College is meant to be a learning experience and hopefully now she's learned and will be better prepared to deal with next time, that blacks can be some of the most racist and violent people there are.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
College is meant to be a learning experience and hopefully now she's learned and will be better prepared to deal with next time, that blacks can be some of the most racist and violent people there are.

You bring up a good point.  Parents need to teach their kids.    If not guns or knives,  then pepper spray, etc.  

Koppo Stick

http://www.donrearic.com/koppostick.html
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 9:33:02 PM EDT
[#10]
And they wonder why so many people are racist. Honestly, it's our right to like or dislike anyone for any reason we wish as long as we don't mistreat them for that reason. Hell, look how many people voted for Obama because he is black, those racists!
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 9:45:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I've seen nor heard nothing about this in Alaska.  I've seen nothing about it in the local paper.  Well maybe if I quit using that liberal rag for toilet paper and read it, then maybe...oh well.

Oh yeah

FUCK OBAMA!
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 9:57:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've seen nor heard nothing about this in Alaska.  I've seen nothing about it in the local paper.  Well maybe if I quit using that liberal rag for toilet paper and read it, then maybe...oh well.

Oh yeah

FUCK OBAMA!

And you won't. But I guarantee most of the media knows about the story, but none of them will have the balls to write something about it. They might actually say what we are all thinking and that would be a career ending decision.

I did not have to read the whole article to know the four women were black.

Welcome to the minority.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 9:58:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Oh yeah

FUCK OBAMA!

I found it in the Minneapolis paper while I was looking for news on the Coleman/Franken recount

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 10:01:41 PM EDT
[#14]
When the girl grabbed her, that should have been when she responded by punching, kicking, and eye-gouging.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top