Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2001 9:13:23 AM EDT
[url]http://aimsurplus.com/acatalog/AIM_Rifles_1.html[/url]

Dont pay too much for that SAR-1 AK47.... AIM has them back in stock finally.  A little higher price, but still a good deal.  The SAR-1's are $339 and the WASR (hi-caps) are only $299
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 10:10:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Darn!  Now I need to find another job quickly... Ah, motivation [;)] - as if I needed anymore
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 10:24:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Whats the difference between SAR-1 and WASR rifles?
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#4]
They use the same picture for the SAR and the WASR, so we need an AK guru to tell us.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 10:57:56 AM EDT
[#5]
From ak-47.net:

SAR' s have six U.S. parts to make them legal to have the pistol grips, and accept double stack mags. WASR's have the Druganov style stocks and all Romanian parts, and have been converted from single stack mags to accepting double stack mags. The SAR's were made to accept DS mags, the WASR's were not and are missing the dimples on the sides of the receiver to help snug the mags in the receiver. From what I have read and heard, the WASR's are just fine though. Either one will be OK.
View Quote

So basically, the SAR1 is imported in parts, then assembled with US parts so that it can have a pistol grip.  The WASR is imported with a butthole stock, and can only accept 10 round single stack mags.  The WASR mag well is then machined here, to accept hi-cap mags, and US parts are added to allow a pistol grip.

The end result is, the SAR was designed to support double stack mags, while the WASR is retrofitted to accept them.  I would venture the WASR would be just as good, but you might get one with a sticky/loose magwell, or feeding problems, if the work was done poorly.  Probably hit and miss, just like the quality of the early SAR-1's.

I have a 2001 series SAR-1, and it runs like a champ.  While many feel these rifles are only worth about $250 - $300.... we will not always be able to find, a reliable, high capacity AK variant, so it's get them while you can.  Eventually even the basic AK variant will cost the same as the basic AR.....  so $300 is a good deal.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 11:01:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Paid about 340 total for mine.  Rifle, shipping, tax, FFL Fee.  I dont mind though, I have always wanted an AK.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I got very lucky last week, found a local shop that had ordered 3 sar-1's for a guy in January of last year, he only picked up two. The shop owner wanted it gone, I paid $330 out the door including tax. I'd say I got a very good deal. Too bad he didn't have any more he wanted to unload

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 11:21:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I ordered a new sar-1 from summitammo.com for $325 shipped yesterday.  I dealt with Patrick, he was very professional and friendly.  He told me that have a few of these left at this price but it only comes with one 10round mag (who cares the 30 rounders are a dime a dozen).  Might want to make a move on these if you still want a cheap AK.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#9]
At the Bealton VA gunshow today, the had SAR-1's for 349 and the Wasr's for 299.00

Link Posted: 12/15/2001 11:37:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Liar!

(at least in California [:(])

View Quote

They have pump action AK's nbow. They are intended to be sold in CA, but I don't know if the CA DOJ gave the ok to sell them here. They can accept double stack mags and can also have all the evil features. If they are legal to sell here, I might think about getting one. They will be more accurate since it is a pump action.

Quoted:
how good of AK's are these? are they quality?
View Quote

They are of good quality, but not the best. I heard that some had problems with different things (sights, fire control parts, etc) but I think the problem is fixed with the newer ones. "They are the best bang for the buck" if you want an AK.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 4:48:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think SAR's are known as the ugly but reliable ones.  The finish on them aren't the greatest, but they'll shoot when you want them too and with decent accuracy.  For an under 400 buck "Evil Assult Weapon"  you really can't beat it.  I have one that I just sighted in today, put almost all of the 240 rounds that I sent down 100 yards in the colored rings, no problem.

I think the biggest problem they had was the front sights are usually way off when you get them, but with a 7 dollar sight tool from Tapco or a C clamp with a 1/2 in socket you can fix that in a few minutes.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 6:37:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Romanians are at the lower end (but not the lowest!) of the AK quality scale. Having said that for $300 you can't go wrong. Had mine for more than a year and plan to shoot the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Watch out for the "trigger slap" problems.  I about broke my finger last weekend shooting my Sar1.  OWWWWW.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Watch out for the "trigger slap" problems.  I about broke my finger last weekend shooting my Sar1.  OWWWWW.  
View Quote

Easy fix.  Do a search for trigger slap on the ak.ar15.com board.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They have pump action AK's nbow.
View Quote

"The racking of the slide on this AK makes a distinctive sound that will thwart any criminal and make him pee in his pants."   -- Masaad Ayoob.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#17]
If heard very mixed reviews of the Romanian SARs
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 3:55:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not as good as some of the others (Yugoslavian or Bulgarian) but they work fine. Besides, it's an AK, you don't buy them for looks or finish, you buy them because they work!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top