Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2001 12:37:00 PM EDT
Stupidity Watch
The Berkeley, Calif., City Council "voted Tuesday night to supply workers who answer the city's general information phones with material about the Central Committee for Conscientious Objectors," the Associated Press reports. "The idea is to have information available so staff can refer anyone who calls asking about how to avoid military combat." The council defeated an amendment that would also have made available information about military recruitment.

Now, you're probably thinking: What's the news here? After all, everyone knows the majority of the Berkeley City Council is unpatriotic. Yes, but we didn't know quite how stupid they were. Didn't it occur to any of them that America has a volunteer military? If you want to avoid military service, you don't need to declare yourself a "conscientious objector." Just don't enlist!
View Quote

From today's [url]www.opinionjournal.com[/url]'s best of the web.

Perhaps they should have a defense plan in case the Mongol horde should decide to return.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 6:01:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#2]
"But you can't have babies."

"Don't you oppress me."
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 10:40:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 11:43:02 PM EDT
[#4]

[url]http://www.sacbee.com/state_wire/story/1307113p-1375526c.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 11:47:42 PM EDT
[#5]

"The proposal came from the city's Peace and Justice Commission, which adopted a resolution earlier this month noting Berkeley's "unique and honored tradition of promoting alternative social values and viewpoints including nonviolence and pacifism." "During this time of military action, especially, we felt it was important that young people, who are of an age to consider enrolling in the military, have the full range of information available to them," said commission member Steve Freedkin."
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 11:51:28 PM EDT
[#6]

[url]http://home.sprintmail.com/~sfreedkin/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 3:06:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 4:10:39 AM EDT
[#8]
i sent this email to them. i suggest you all do the same. let's show them OUR point of view on this.
=========================================
dear Progressive Portal,

you are evil thinking people to desicrate the flag of the country you live in. i can't believe you would knowingly change the design of the article that symbolizes your freedom adn independance. i would never wnat to change the fag to support my personal beliefs. i am greatly disturbed by your "non-problem" with that.

i find your "flags" objectionable and offensive. i liked the flag the way it was. perhaps something more appropriate would be to have the regular flag shown with your message neatly typed underneath it.

your message is something i don't agree with. i don't know (and can't understand) why you wouldn't want to defend your country from evil terrorists. do you fell nothing for the 3500+ that lost their lives without reason on Sep 11th?

i find your cause unsupportable and unbelievable. i wish you knew the sacrifices all soldiers had to make to guarantee the freedoms of your country.

apparently you don't know and don't care.

Good day,
Ian Keirstead
=========================================

goto "feedback" on the left side of the page to send soem mail to them.

OffRoad
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 4:11:27 AM EDT
[#9]
oh crap i really should have spell-checked that.

oops
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 4:47:16 AM EDT
[#10]
The other news is that while there is no draft the military does not want a draft.  (Possibly excepting medical personnel.)

Please don't tell the Berkeley people as they will be deeply disappointed that they're not wanted and may start a suit to reinstate the draft.
[:D]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 6:22:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The other news is that while there is no draft the military does not want a draft.  (Possibly excepting medical personnel.)

Please don't tell the Berkeley people as they will be deeply disappointed that they're not wanted and may start a suit to reinstate the draft.
[:D]
View Quote

Yes, because they currently have no cards to burn.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top