Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2001 3:08:53 PM EDT
I may have seen it discussed here.  I finally got DSL up after three months of waiting since ordering it when I moved into my new apartment.  These things are driving me crazy.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:11:30 PM EDT
[#1]
You should be able to get rid of most of them by dis-abling the java options in your internet browser.  It's in the security section I believe.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:17:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:18:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Try Popup Stopper. Search for it on Download.com.  Works pretty good, 'specially when you hit a lot of pages with popup ads.  
In XP, there's a utility called Tweak XP that has it's own popup killer.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 4:16:13 PM EDT
[#4]
There's another good one called addsubtract.  You can get it free at downloads.com.  Be aware that some of these interfere with certain message boards, especially VB ones like GlockTalk and AK-47.net.  Addsubtract has both a list of exempted sites and a disable feature.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 4:23:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Disabling java can sometimes limit desireable graphics.

An easy way to dodge popups and cookie profiling is to surf using the safeweb proxy server.  Go to [url]www.safeweb.com[/url]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 4:33:57 PM EDT
[#6]
[url]http://www.dummysoftware.com/[/url]

PopupDummy! v1.7
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 4:43:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Concur with fencer, Pop-Up stopper.  Been using it for a week now and it's pretty good.  For pop-windows that you do need to see all you do is hold down the CTRL key and it'll allow it.  The only thing it's a 30 day trial and then you pay $15 or so, but worth the test drive and $15 if it works out.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 5:27:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Disabling Java probably won't help you.
Try turning off the JavaScript. This might affect some sites
that do some nice tricks. If your browser lets you just disable
the javascript open command, that would be the best and easiest way
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Try the following link:
[url]www.software.xfx.net/utilities/popupkiller/tsguide/index.html[/url]

I've been using this one for a month or so now.  Seems to work pretty good.  Only thing, is that it will close a popup related to some sites that you visit(for example, if I click on Board Code, it will close that window.  But you can disable it whenever you want.)
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 11:47:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 2:16:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

For the smaller sites, those pop-up ads help pay for hosting fees.  By disabling those ads, you could be cutting revenue that the site operator uses to fund the site, which could force them to shut it down eventually or start charging to let people use it.  Something to think about...

View Quote

On one end you have companies like Microsoft and Gator who are replacing sites advertising with their own.

Link [url]http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-6797640.html[/url]

On the other end you have companies like MSNBC who think it’s better to save those thirty popups until you visit someone else’s site or make them flash objects so you can’t close them.

Right in the shitty middle you’ve got the guys who run the sites like this one. (Just trying to get paid for their work) and people showing off their |\/|4|) 1337 (0|)3r $|
So you’re faced with these choices ...
1) Let the guys who run the sites decide the content. (Including the stuff that’s abusive)
2) Take control of your browser back. (Incidentally stealing money from people who should be paid for their work)

/* What I do */
I use IE with security set to medium and cookies turned on. (For sites I trust and enjoy)
And Lynx in text only/no cookie mode – (for sites that abuse their java/directX privileges)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top