Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/22/2008 5:46:45 AM EDT
According to the new 4473, Instructions for question 18, firearm receivers cannot be sold to individuals under 21 years of age.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 5:48:54 AM EDT
[#1]
So?

Link Posted: 10/22/2008 5:49:04 AM EDT
[#2]
First I heard of this.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 5:49:43 AM EDT
[#3]
The ATF can make their own laws, didn't you know that?
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 5:50:55 AM EDT
[#4]
WHAT THE FUCK!?

I guess I have to only buy lowers FTF
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 5:51:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I wonder if it is because they could be made into pistols as well as rifles?
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 5:51:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Makes sense, in a .gov way, since the receiver can be made into a pistol. If you buy a lower receiver with a stock attached that makes it a rifle. Does it still fall into this category? More regulations bring more questions.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 5:52:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Guess I'll just have my dad buy it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 5:53:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It is because they are a firearm OTHER than a rifle or a shotgun.

Furthermore, the frame connot be transferred EVEN IF it can ONLY be made into a rifle or shotgun - which probably means lowers that had buttstocks attached still may not be transfered.

Hooray America!
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 5:53:20 AM EDT
[#9]
keyword stripped, if there is a stock attatched that makes it a rifle.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 5:53:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Makes sense, in a .gov way, since the receiver can be made into a pistol. If you buy a lower receiver with a stock attached that makes it a rifle. Does it still fall into this category? More regulations bring more questions.

Why, they can't buy a rifle, and then make it into a pistol?
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 5:53:37 AM EDT
[#11]
It's not in effect yet is it?
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 5:53:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Correct.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 5:53:49 AM EDT
[#13]
^^^^^

Quoted:
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 5:53:59 AM EDT
[#14]
That throws the whole rifle/pistol thing out the window concerning builds... This will bite BATFE in the butt.  

Mike
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 5:54:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct.

Incorrect.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 5:54:40 AM EDT
[#16]
The reading is actually correct.  They state only a rifle or shotgun can be sold to someone 18-21 and a lower is neither.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 5:55:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is because they are a firearm OTHER than a rifle or a shotgun.

Furthermore, the frame connot be transferred EVEN IF it can ONLY be made into a rifle or shotgun - which probably means lowers that had buttstocks attached still may not be transfered.

Hooray America!

Repeated for clarity.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 5:57:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It's not in effect yet is it?

15 Nov IIRC

I wonder if multiple lower purchases will require the same paperwork as multiple pistol purchases now?
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 5:57:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Interesting.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 5:59:38 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct.

That shouldn't matter. As a 19 year old, I am allowed to manufacture a handgun in this state.

God damn it
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 6:00:04 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
LOL WUT?

I see no such requirement.

You reference the instructions for question 18, that is, "Instructions for Transferror 1."
See here:www.atf.gov/forms/4473/page03.htm

There is no such restriction on the sale of stripped receivers.

As far as the 4473 is concerned, the receiver is either a rifle or a pistol and that's it.  If it's a pistol, then you must be of legal age in your jurisdiction to purchase a handgun, commonly 21 years of age.

If it's a rifle, then the minimum age is usually 18.

I think you might be confusing "firearm receivers" with "firearm receivers designated for use in a handgun."

Have you read the new yellow 4473?  You might wanna take a gander at it.  Since a lower receiver is now classified as "OTHER" on the form, and only a shotgun or rifle (which "OTHER" is neither) can be sold to 18-20 year olds....  

Other changes on new 4473....
5 lines for firearms.  It also states in instructions that if more than 5 are sold in a single transaction, attach a separate piece of paper with the same information (mfr, sn, caliber, etc) as the ones on the 5 lines.  No separate 4473 needed for more guns purchased than the form has lines.  
Also, FFL required to write out the number of firearms transferred (one, two, three, etc, with no numerals to be used).  
No more YES or NO written on the first page (now has check boxes).  
FFLs now only required to put 1st 3 and last 5 numbers of FFL on the form at the bottom (had to put whole number before).  
No more "BOTH" option.  Now if you sell a handgun and a rifle, you check both boxes.

That's all I can think off the top of my head...

Woody
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 6:04:40 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Ten years in Federal pound me in the ass prison. Turning a rifle into a pistol actually makes it a short barrel rifle, analogous to a sawed-off shotgun. You need a class 3  tax stamp to possess a SBR.

No, it doesn't make sense.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 6:08:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Right, it states 21 to buy a frame/receiver. It also states no multiple disposition report even if it's to be made into a pistol.

By this logic, it seems a frame would no longer be considered the quintessential firearm. But I think what they a doing is introducing another class of weapon. Now in addition to long and handguns, we now have the third definition of "receiver/frame" to contend with. But I have no idea where the BATFE is going with this.

ETA: 10 points for using "quintessential" in a post.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 6:11:13 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No need to be rude with the , friend.

You are applying logic to a .gov decision. That's bad juju. Just take the most illogical thing that comes to mind and that's what the .gov will decide to do. Since they added a "other" category to the form, and "other" is not a longgun or a handgun, they use the most strict requirement already in place.

Now, if ya like tinfoil, it's their way to make more criminals-by-technicality.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 6:13:48 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

STRAW PURCHASE!!!!! STRAW PURCHASE!!!!!!

Link Posted: 10/22/2008 6:17:03 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The reading is actually correct.  They state only a rifle or shotgun can be sold to someone 18-21 and a lower is neither.

from a FFL dealer that is correct. F2F its all out the window

Quoted:

Quoted:

not if its a "bona-fied gift"
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 6:21:36 AM EDT
[#27]
reciever flats (aks and hks) they are technically not a reciever till they are rolled/formed. maybe they are going to start regulating them more

idk
just a thought.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 6:22:56 AM EDT
[#28]
When I got my stripped lower, the ffl ask if it was for rifle or pistol and marked the 4473 as so. So far as .gov was concerned I bought an ar15, not a lower.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 8:13:58 AM EDT
[#29]
We have the new yellow forms, so it is in effect now since I began using them yesterday and can't just do a white form to allow someone to slip in before Nov 15.

You would have to find a dealer who has not begun using the new form yet.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 8:24:56 AM EDT
[#30]
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 8:26:06 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

not if its a "bona-fied gift"

Yep, besides CT is small, probobly could find a  FTF seller around here.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#32]
fu*k sticks
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct.

That shouldn't matter. As a 19 year old, I am allowed to manufacture a handgun in this state.

God damn it

Oh relax! its going to be ok, i promise...
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 8:29:18 AM EDT
[#34]
gay, is it already in effect?
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 8:33:41 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm not sure if this law is in all states,

but to own a handgun, you have to be 21.  A stripped receiver can be made into a pistol... hence the reason why under 21 are not allowed to have one...

I'm thinking that it should be waiver IF the receiver is listed at a rifle.  

It's not hard to convert a rifle into a pistol.  Just change out the upper, take off the stock, mod the buffer tube and spring, and that's practically it...  you have a AR15 pistol.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 8:40:18 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

but to own a handgun, you have to be 21.  A stripped receiver can be made into a pistol... hence the reason why under 21 are not allowed to have one...

I'm thinking that it should be waiver IF the receiver is listed at a rifle.  

It's not hard to convert a rifle into a pistol.  Just change out the upper, take off the stock, mod the buffer tube and spring, and that's practically it...  you have a AR15 pistol.  

I thought you couldn't convert a rifle into a pistol.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 8:40:36 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
but to own a handgun, you have to be 21.

Federal law is 18 to own a handgun. Only dealers are restricted to 21 and up. just another silly law

A stripped receiver can be made into a pistol... hence the reason why under 21 are not allowed to have one...
I'm thinking that it should be waiver IF the receiver is listed at a rifle. .

It doesnt matter what the lower is "listed" as. The point is that it is neither a rifle or pistol which is where this new category comes into play

Yes but then it is a short barreled rifle not a pistol.

Quoted:
I thought you couldn't convert a rifle into a pistol.

Correct, you could not do it without paying the BATF 200 bucks for a sbr.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 8:42:09 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Sort of true, but there is more to it.

I'm thinking that it should be waiver IF the receiver is listed at a rifle.  NO!

It's not hard to convert a rifle into a pistol.  Just change out the upper, take off the stock, mod the buffer tube and spring, and that's practically it...  you have a AR15 pistol. Better not do it!
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 8:48:29 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sort of true, but there is more to it.

I'm thinking that it should be waiver IF the receiver is listed at a rifle.  NO!

It's not hard to convert a rifle into a pistol.  Just change out the upper, take off the stock, mod the buffer tube and spring, and that's practically it...  you have a AR15 pistol. Better not do it!

No, I didn't do it.  I have a RRA AR15 Rifle and a OA93 Pistol...  all are properly listed in their respective categories.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 8:51:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Fuck the ATF.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 8:55:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Is there a statute that created this "other" category, or a statute authorizing ATF to create this "other" category, or a statute governing who can purchase this new and magical "other?"
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 9:00:40 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No need to be rude with the , friend.

You are applying logic to a .gov decision. That's bad juju. Just take the most illogical thing that comes to mind and that's what the .gov will decide to do. Since they added a "other" category to the form, and "other" is not a longgun or a handgun, they use the most strict requirement already in place.

Now, if ya like tinfoil, it's their way to make more criminals-by-technicality.

The wasn't at you, it was at the law being proposed.

If someone is hell bent on acquiring  a certain weapon, another law isn't going to stop them.

But we all knew that.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 9:00:43 AM EDT
[#43]
BS, cant you designate it as a rifle lower like the older one?
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#44]
It's okay guys.  The current administration will reign in the ATF b a t f e  any day now.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Is there a statute that created this "other" category, or a statute authorizing ATF to create this "other" category, or a statute governing who can purchase this new and magical "other?"

Yes, it was created in 1968. As usual, it is just people not knowing the law, so they clarified it:

TITLE 18--CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

PART I--CRIMES

CHAPTER 44--FIREARMS

Sec. 922. Unlawful acts

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver--
       (1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

TITLE 18--CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

PART I--CRIMES

CHAPTER 44--FIREARMS

Sec. 921. Definitions

(5) The term ``shotgun'' means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.

(7) The term ``rifle'' means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

Link Posted: 10/22/2008 9:06:26 AM EDT
[#46]
When does a stripped lower become a rifle or pistol?
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 9:10:14 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
keyword stripped, if there is a stock attatched that makes it a rifle.
Or the start of an SBR.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

My thoughts exactly
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 9:17:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Good catch, AllService. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 9:23:58 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
LOL WUT?

I see no such requirement.

You reference the instructions for question 18, that is, "Instructions for Transferror 1."
See here:www.atf.gov/forms/4473/page03.htm

There is no such restriction on the sale of stripped receivers.

As far as the 4473 is concerned, the receiver is either a rifle or a pistol and that's it.  If it's a pistol, then you must be of legal age in your jurisdiction to purchase a handgun, commonly 21 years of age.

If it's a rifle, then the minimum age is usually 18.

I think you might be confusing "firearm receivers" with "firearm receivers designated for use in a handgun."

Have you read the new yellow 4473?  You might wanna take a gander at it.  Since a lower receiver is now classified as "OTHER" on the form, and only a shotgun or rifle (which "OTHER" is neither) can be sold to 18-20 year olds....  

Other changes on new 4473....
5 lines for firearms.  It also states in instructions that if more than 5 are sold in a single transaction, attach a separate piece of paper with the same information (mfr, sn, caliber, etc) as the ones on the 5 lines.  No separate 4473 needed for more guns purchased than the form has lines.  
Also, FFL required to write out the number of firearms transferred (one, two, three, etc, with no numerals to be used).  
No more YES or NO written on the first page (now has check boxes).  
FFLs now only required to put 1st 3 and last 5 numbers of FFL on the form at the bottom (had to put whole number before).  
No more "BOTH" option.  Now if you sell a handgun and a rifle, you check both boxes.

That's all I can think off the top of my head...

Woody

It appears that I incorrectly assumed that the ATF website would have the most up-to-date form on it.  Apparently, I was wrong.  I ammended my post to delete my reservations.  At any rate, thanks for the info.

I do wonder about the date of enaction.  Is it effective immediately and they just haven't updated their site?  Or is there a phase-in period where certain youths would behoove themselves to pony up $100 and buy a few receivers?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top