Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2008 5:36:32 AM EDT
I work a job that is very flashlight dependant.
I am currently using a Surefire G2 LED, it is ok, but a few things could be better.
It just isn't quite bright enough, the blue tint to the lens doesn't help, and it eats a set of batteries every 2 or 3 days.

What I need:
Rechargeable, ac/dc preferred.
120 or so lumens, with a good tight spot.
The smaller the better, something in the Surefire size range preferred, but not a deal breaker.
LED preferred.

My only idea is an ultra stinger, but it is a big light and I don't know anyone who owns one, and not LED.

Any help or suggestions would be great!
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:40:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:50:21 AM EDT
[#2]
My suggestion would be the Ultra Stinger!

I have had mine several years now and I love it.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:53:10 AM EDT
[#3]
The brightest flashlight I ever had, may still have it, is a small dive light.

That thing is like a spotlight that would fit in you pocket and I didn't spend much $ for it either like some of these overpriced tactical lights.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:09:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The brightest flashlight I ever had, may still have it, is a small dive light.

That thing is like a spotlight that would fit in you pocket and I didn't spend much $ for it either like some of these overpriced tactical lights.

OK, what was the name?
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:12:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Heck I don't know, I bought it about 17 years ago, I'll look for it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:14:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh, ok.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:31:56 AM EDT
[#7]
This might be up your alley.  Maybe a little larger than what you want.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:37:13 AM EDT
[#8]
this

or this

Great battery life, very bright, lite and durable. Uses only one battery so its small enough you don't even know its in your pocket.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:46:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I was thinking the Stinger or Ultra Singer. Bright, rechareable, no blue tint, lasts, sturdy. It is a little bigger than a Surefire but not too big.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 7:10:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I was thinking the Stinger or Ultra Singer. Bright, rechargeable, no blue tint, lasts, sturdy. It is a little bigger than a Surefire but not too big.

Everyone at work either uses a rechargeable Mag Lite or Stinger.
They all seem to have batteries and bulbs failing frequently.
My reason for wanting LED.

Something like an Ultra Stinger would come in handy for defensive purposes though.
People seem to get in a pretty good frenzy when they catch me stealing their car after I've dragged it 20 feet out of a parking space!
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 7:14:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was thinking the Stinger or Ultra Singer. Bright, rechargeable, no blue tint, lasts, sturdy. It is a little bigger than a Surefire but not too big.

Something like an Ultra Stinger would come in handy for defensive purposes though.
People seem to get in a pretty good frenzy when they catch me stealing their car after I've dragged it 20 feet out of a parking space!

Repo man?
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 7:14:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Fenix FTW.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 7:14:40 AM EDT
[#13]
How about a Malkoff Drop in for your G2 and some rechargeable 123's?
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 7:21:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

This would be great! With the exception of I would have no idea how to install it.
Working on electronics and such is not my cup of tea.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 7:25:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Repo man?

Not anymore, now I am part of a "private property patrol and improperly parked car removal service"

Fun, but sometimes frustrating job, with the occasional adrenalin injection!
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 7:45:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This would be great! With the exception of I would have no idea how to install it.

You unscrew the head of your flashlight, take out the P60L unit that is there now and then drop the Malkoff in.

There is nothing to it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:40:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You unscrew the head of your flashlight, take out the P60L unit that is there now and then drop the Malkoff in.

There is nothing to it.

Cool!
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Go Here. $12.40 shipped. I have done every one of my 6p's and my Dad's G2 with these upgrade lights. They are bright. Plus they use less current and then the batteries last longer. The site those are on is addictive and I think they still carry rechargeable 123's.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:03:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I am enjoying the new Fenix TK20, same LED goodness with AA batteries.  Slap in some rechargable AAs and you are good to go each day.  If you run out during the day, it's much easier and cheaper to get AAs.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:14:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Depends on the job.

I've got about 10, the p2d is my everyday carry and have a AA body when I need to eat batteries.

ETA: the DE dropin  works well on the 6p
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#21]
In before Skibane.

Quoted:
The Fenix TK11 would be excellent. It's regulated, so the brightness stays constant right up until the point where the batteries die completely. Aside from taking 2 CR123 non-rechargeable cells, it'll also accept a single 18650 Li-Ion rechargeable. Deal Extreme has TrustFire 2500 mAH 18750 rechargeable batteries for 5 bucks apiece, as well as 18650 rechargers for around 7 bucks - Will quickly pay for themselves compared to non-rechargeable CR123 cells.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#22]
i have 2 streamlight stingers. 1 of which is made of polymer and its about 6 years old and has seen 5 days a week of USE . with solvents , grease. being droped at least 5 times a day. I work on cars for a living
Its on its 2nd buld now and hasent has a single issue except the lens is very beaten up and cracking but . it still its more than bright enough for what i do .
the other one if my house one which is aluminum and have fallen out of my pocked going about 50 MPH on my bike i turned around to get it and it lit right up
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:19:45 PM EDT
[#23]
i just use rechargable CR123s
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#24]
4D MagLight bright and still works if you have to hit someone with it
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:30:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
In before Skibane.

Quoted:
The Fenix TK11 would be excellent. It's regulated, so the brightness stays constant right up until the point where the batteries die completely. Aside from taking 2 CR123 non-rechargeable cells, it'll also accept a single 18650 Li-Ion rechargeable. Deal Extreme has TrustFire 2500 mAH 18750 rechargeable batteries for 5 bucks apiece, as well as 18650 rechargers for around 7 bucks - Will quickly pay for themselves compared to non-rechargeable CR123 cells.

+1
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
In before Skibane.

Quoted:

Doh!

18650 is a wonderful size for a rechargeable lithium battery - lots of run-time in a relatively small package.

Rechargeable NiMH AA cells also pack a big punch in a small package - The Fenix L2D Q5 uses two of them to produce 180 lumens for almost 2.5 hours. Plus, they're cheap, and available at your nearest Wal-Mart or Target.

Rechargeable 123 cells are kind of underwhelming  - Their capacity is only about 50 percent of their non-rechargeable counterparts, so the run-time is disappointing in high-power LED flashlights.

Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#27]
My Mag Lite 4D with a 3 Watt LED is pretty hard to beat.  I modified it to take a custom 5 cell stick of sub C NiCd.  That was an easy coversion, a piece of 1" PVC pipe is the only modification and it is removable.  I get about 3 hours of light from each stick and my recharger only takes 20 minutes to recharge.  You need a 0.60" spacer cell to take up the space.  5 cells of sub Cs puts out 6 volts, nearly constant voltage.

I also coated the base of the LED conversion emitter with thermal grease to keep output constant, making the tube into a much better heat sink.

The 5 sub Cs are lighter than 4 D cell alkalines.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top