Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2001 12:53:12 PM EDT
Have you guys been getting bombed with that Hyundai commercial that uses "Thick as a brick"?

Do these guys sell out or do the songs eventually get so old the copyright expires?  I hate when they do that, it ruins the tune.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#1]
The biggest offender along these lines is Nissan.  They use stuff from STP, the Ramones, the Who and half the other people who ever sold a record.  I think they are paying dearly for the privilege, but it is irritating hearing a re-edit of some song you like that a car company chopped up so it would fit in their commercial.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 2:59:19 PM EDT
[#2]
As a long time Jethro Tull fan, the first time I saw that Hyundai commercial I was mortally offended. At least the Miller beer commercial that used Locomotive Breath had some sort of related theme.

I dropped a note to Andy Giddings (current JT keyboard player and part-time webmaster of the j-tull.com website) after I saw that and asked if Ian owned the rights to TAAB or if it was still the orifinal label (Chrysalis). I guess I wasn't the only one because a day or so later the following message appeared as part of Ian Anderson's commentary:

"Do I drive a Hyundai? Well, no but then I don’t drive anything being a professional passenger. After a welter of e-mails informing me of the possible fraudulent use of music from Thick As A Brick by the Hyundai Corporation of North America, I must report that it is actually me playing on the advertisement featuring the music. I was asked for my permission to use the music a few months ago and offered to re-record it myself rather than have someone else do it or see the original cut up and edited in some horrible way. Of course, they edited it anyway and left out the improvised outro which was the best bit, but I would rather it was me than some session player or computer programme doing the dubious deed. Anyway, I was adequately compensated for my efforts, so don’t feel bad about it.

So what’s next? Advert music for selling scuba gear? Passion Play sounds like a particularly exotic and expensive perfume. Roots To Branches for garden centres. Bungle In The Jungle for suppliers of tropical underwear. In The Grip Of Stronger Stuff for Smirnoff. Nobody’s Car from the Under Wraps album might have worked better for Hyundai, some wag suggested, but that was, frankly, a little unkind."

At least the original composer is making the money off the comercial use, but I admit to being a bit ticked off by the bastardization of a favorite tune (TAAB was the first concert I ever attended, in 1972).

Link Posted: 12/9/2001 3:39:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Argh, this crap pisses me off to no extent. I remember when Black Sabbath's Iron Man was used for some watch commercial.

Oh well, at least most of the bands I like won't ever be considered for this, haha.

Link Posted: 12/10/2001 5:13:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm surprised Ian actually did it, he's one of the last people I expected to be doing jingles, for _Hyundai_ no less...

But I guess ol' Ian needs to support his cats somehow [:D]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 5:18:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Just imagine if the version was one with lyrics:

"Really don't mind if you sit this one out.
My words but a whisper -- your deafness a SHOUT.
I may make you feel but I can't make you think.
Your sperm's in the gutter -- your love's in the sink."

How would that sell?

Eric The(IHadDinnerOnceWithIanAnderson&TheBand)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:59:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Hmmmm, wonder what kind of commercial they could use "Hunting Girl" on...?

"She took this simple man's downfall in hand, I raised the flag that she unfurled."
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 8:18:37 AM EDT
[#7]
There's another commercial out there using REO Speedwagon's "Keep on Rolling" but I can't remember what that commercial was for. Anyone know?
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 8:50:16 AM EDT
[#8]
The one that nearly killed me was "Search & Destroy" by Iggy & the Stooges on a Nike commercial.  Iggy-fuckin-Pop... sold out for sneakers.  I could cry.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 9:10:15 AM EDT
[#9]
My advise? Get over it! Music is a business, business is to make money. There was a huge outcry when the Beatles music was first used in a commercial. At the same time nobody seemed to care classical music being set to flushing toilets. You're just going through the pains of your favorite artists not being as altruistic as you would like or thought they were.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 9:19:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey, I [b]like[/b] those Nissan commercials.

I can't wait until the new Z is out.

260HP
RWD
6 Speed Manual
0-60 < 6sec
$ < 30k
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top