Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2001 11:51:02 PM EDT
Hey guys,
  I am looking for some information on a muffler for my truck. Any suggestions where I can look? I'd like to have the dual exits out the back, but noticed some kits won't work with a trailer hitch, or spare tire... Anyone wanna help me out? Thanks!

-Jared
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 11:55:20 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you have for a truck?  Exaust can be routed around the hitch, tire.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 12:07:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Duh.. Probably should have mentioned that. I have a 97 GMC Extended Cab Z71.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 12:34:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you gonna try and do this yourself or take it to a shop?  Complete exaust or a cat back system?
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 12:46:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm looking to do this myself. I would like a nice agressive throaty sound, with a nice crackle when you really stand on it. Thanks for your help.

-Jared
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 4:12:19 AM EDT
[#5]
One word 'FLOWMASTER'
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 5:35:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Grizzly -

Give these guys a call:

[url]http://www.mufflex-performance.com/[/url]

They can answer your question, fix you up with off-the-shelf or custom stuff that can be set up for you to do your own installation. They're nationally known for their race car stuff but a large portion of their work is for daily driver cars and trucks. Ask for Denny when you call, and tell him I sent you. Details about some of the work they've done for me personally can be found at [url]http://www.supercharger.net/members/david[/url]

Link Posted: 12/9/2001 6:06:39 AM EDT
[#7]
[url]www.jegs.com[/url],,a few boys I work with have Chev 2500 long wheel base and both got kits from Jeg's or Summit I think it was, cat back, large diameter smooth bend pipes.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 8:11:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd go with Borla, but the question is do they make one for your truck.

[url]www.borla.com[/url]

Jay
Arizona
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
One word 'FLOWMASTER'
View Quote

...DITTO
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 12:50:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I put a Flowmaster on my Toyota.  I like it alot.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I put Edelbrock Headers and a Flowmaster System on my Dodge and it made a huge difference in performance. The sound is great as well.

I bought them from [url]www.summitracing.com[/url]. They were extremely helpful every time I called them while I was researching what to buy.

Tom
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
One word 'FLOWMASTER'
View Quote

I'll have to agree with the good reverend.  Flowmasters are the best mufflers money can buy IMHO.  Good sound, good power(with a complete system).
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 11:11:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Flowmaster, Borla Yeah, Yeah!

Wanna be DIFFERENT???

Go with a Spin-tech. Shit ya not, absolutely the BEST muffler I've heard. Low throaty Idle, but it will make it's presence known when stood upon!
[url] http://www.spintechmufflers.com/spintech/spintechindex.asp [/url]

Couple of more tips (if your doing this for performance reasons)
Upgraded to 3" piping <--reduces backpressure a bit.
KILL the 'CAT' <--That is 'IF' your state doesn't do emissions testing.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 11:19:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Just put a Flowmaster on my Z71, 5.7 litre, sounds real purdy...[:D]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 12:40:37 AM EDT
[#16]
[/quote]

Borla.  Ever hear a Viper V10?  It's got a borla on it.  A Borla is much more refined than a flowmaster, and sounds a hell of a lot better as well.[/quote]

Borla? At four times the price then a Flowmaster exhuast. The tailpipes for them are ugly as sin IMHO.

Flowmaster makes a kit for your truck you should be able to install in your driveway with hand tools and maybe a sawzall.

~kc
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 12:59:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Confederate,
  What model muffler did you put on? Was it a complete kit? What did it set you back? Thanks!

-Jared
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 1:12:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Confederate,
  What model muffler did you put on? Was it a complete kit? What did it set you back? Thanks!

-Jared
View Quote

Jared,

Is your Z71 a short bed? or Longbed? And what motor is in it?

-kc

Link Posted: 12/10/2001 2:50:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Its a 5.7 Vortec, with the extended cab, short bed... Thinking about adding a lift in the future.

-Jared
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 4:04:51 AM EDT
[#20]
lift??

man to man, i'm just telling you... you've have a very difficult truck to lift. because of the ifs. i'm not saying don't do it, just that it will be majour coin.
ex. 73-87 chev 6 in lift $350-400
   88-98 chev 6 in lift $1100-1300

big difference.

it's your truck, if you want to lift it, it will look cool.

also, what are cherrt bombs, and glass packs as they relate to exhaust. i've heard guys saying that's got a cherry bomb or it has glass packs. i saw (and heard) a truck with cherry bombs on it and it sounded like a monster truck when he stood on it. it was rockin!

thanks
OffRoad
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 4:18:36 AM EDT
[#21]
You also need to consider what a new exhaust (non-stock) system will do to fuel mileage and emissions.  If there are no emission tests in your state, you should be OK.  The computer in your truck may need a new chip as well.  Not saying it is necessary, but modifying an exhaust system is more than just adding a muffler.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 6:22:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Flowmaster...... I put a set on my 2001 Silverado 4.8 Makes it sound like a big block. I have done the do-it-yourself thing on exhaust systems. At first it sounds great, then the squeaks and rattles appear. You find most of them but there always seems to be one you can't find. I paid about $225 for dual flowmasters cat-back straight out the back with chrome tips. Definitely a notable difference from doing it yourself.
    Mileage improved as did performance. No computer chip change was needed. I beleive most of them calibrate themselves to a certain degree if I am not mistaken.

Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Griz,

Lots of guys like those Flowmaster systems.  Most models are too noisy for me.  With the modern trucks, I have had good experience with a single 3" system from a company called Gibson.  The performance will be noticeable, and it will not sound like some punk-ass kid's IROC.  Borla makes a very nice fitting system, and comes in stainless steel.  The price is pretty high, however.
You do not want your exhaust straight out the back if you tow.  It will blow crap all over whatever you have behind you.  If you don't tow, then go ahead.  
If you are having a local shop do the work,  ask them if you can hang around to see and listen to some of the types of exhaust work they do.  You may be surprised at what you like and don't like.  
Dynomax makes some excellent mufflers for trucks.  I put one of their high flow round industrial models on my father's big block motorhome.  It really pulls the hills better, and you can definitely tell that it has a 460 in it.  It is not noisy enough to upset even that grumpy old man either!

Good Luck
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:12:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
lift??

man to man, i'm just telling you... you've have a very difficult truck to lift. because of the ifs. i'm not saying don't do it, just that it will be majour coin.

big difference.
View Quote

what makes the difference in price so large between the older and newer models?  i was wanting to "lift" my '96 suburban, but your post made me think twice.

Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:17:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
lift??

big difference.
View Quote

what makes the difference in price so large between the older and newer models?  i was wanting to "lift" my '96 suburban, but your post made me think twice.

View Quote

IFS
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:18:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Don't overlook the Ravins, available at Midas. Very cool rumble, not as blatty as FM, and way cheap. I had the guy there weld up the whole thing, and I'm happy.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:19:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
lift??

big difference.
View Quote

View Quote

IFS
View Quote

what about the IFS.  i got that, but i want to know WHAT the differences are.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hey guys,
  I am looking for some information on a muffler for my truck. Any suggestions where I can look? I'd like to have the dual exits out the back, but noticed some kits won't work with a trailer hitch, or spare tire... Anyone wanna help me out? Thanks!

-Jared
View Quote

Are you the guy on the Subway sandwich commercials?  PS.  My Flowmaster with 3 inch pipes out lasted my 89 Bronco.  You have to get stainless pipes though (preferably mandrel bent)
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Griz,

The performance will be noticeable, and it will not sound like some punk-ass kid's IROC.    
View Quote

Hey, I resemble that mark. I am a punk ass kid (19) but I drive a cool truck! ;-)

ArLady,
  The 88 and newer Chevys use the Independent Front Suspension, which involves all sorts of torsion bars and other complitcated things. Where as the older trucks had a straight axle, add you had to do was stick some blocks under the leaf springs. There is always the choice of a Body lift.. Which I might do... Its the poor mans lift.

Looks like I'll be going with the Flowmaster. I would really like 2 pipes out the back, but frequently tow a four-wheeler, (hence the name Grizz660 :)) Now should I go with just the replacement muffler, or a cat back?  I am thinking cat back, but this will be expensive as I have the "true Dual, with 2 cats. Thanks for all your help!

-Jared

EDITED to add, that I am NOT the subway guy.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I second [b]Right Wing[/b]'s suggestion on the Gibson systems, particularly in stainless. Good quality at a reasonable price. Dynomax also makes some decent stainless mufflers.

My problem with Flowmaster is that they don't use any stainless — just aluminized steel. Worse yet, the aluminization is applied BEFORE the welding. There's no way that the aluminization is going to survive right next to those welds, so rust is bound to be an eventual problem.

Virtually all OEMs dumped aluminized exhaust systems in favor of stainless years ago, even though it's more expensive. It simply lasts longer.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 8:51:37 AM EDT
[#31]
thank you, grizzly.

Link Posted: 12/11/2001 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#32]
grizzly beat me to answering a question.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahahaha

:)

Link Posted: 12/12/2001 10:41:34 AM EDT
[#33]
The cat-back system is the way to go if you can afford it.  It will usually add a little more performance than strictly new mufflers will if that's what you're after.

Flowmaster has various levels of sound for their mufflers so make sure you get the one you want.  I forget the model but they make one that's REALLY loud.

As far as emissions go, most exhaust companies will state whether or not they're 50-state compatible up front.  The MAC cat-back system I had on my '96 Mustang was legal even in California so you're probably OK.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 1:21:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You also need to consider what a new exhaust (non-stock) system will do to fuel mileage and emissions.  If there are no emission tests in your state, you should be OK.  The computer in your truck may need a new chip as well.  Not saying it is necessary, but modifying an exhaust system is more than just adding a muffler.
View Quote

Actually when most people modify exhuast for sound purposes, It is usually just a muffler or mufflers, and tailpipes.

Now if your into power, more sound, yada yada, then comes along headers,H-pipe, no cat, etc.

I have yet to see a car/truck that needed a chip because of an aftermarket exhuast system. MIL elminators yes. For when you remove the cats from a car/truck and a check engine light is coming on.

-Kc
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top