Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2001 5:00:53 PM EDT
I installed windows xp last week. What a pain. I had to spend hours downloading new drivers for all my hardware and I still had conflicts with my sound card even though Microsoft had approved it for xp.
I seem to have the problems resolved now. So far this is a better os than microsofts previous offerings. Any oppinions from other xp users?
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 5:03:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you do a clean install or upgrade??? Curious, because I am contemplating a move to XP.

Thanx,
Don Out
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 5:09:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Clean install. I had win 98SE. You might want to visit the website of your computer manufacturer. Or the sites of the individual component manufacturers if you biult your own system and see if they have updated drivers for xp before you install. Save the drivers to disk so you will have them ready durring xp install.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Clean install. I had win 98SE. You might want to visit the website of your computer manufacturer. Or the sites of the individual component manufacturers if you biult your own system and see if they have updated drivers for xp before you install. Save the drivers to disk so you will have them ready durring xp install.
View Quote

Got them already. Burned to CD.

I'm going to wait until I can install a 20+GB HDD though...
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#4]
If I had my druthers, I would use LINUX.
Unfortunately, not everything runs with LINUX.

XP has too many bugs, not to mention all of the EULA crap. (i.e. no bad-mouthing ANY MS products)

Stay away from WINME also.  WINME is a joke.

Stick with WIN98SE or WIN2K.  Both are stable OS's and have been proven reliable.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#5]
oh, I saw what I want when I build a system.... the Adaptec ATA RAID 2400A.  Four IDE channels for up to 4 harddrives, RAID 0, 1, and 5 at 100MB/Sec.  Slap a few 7200rpm ATA100 drives on that puppy... oh yeah...

:)

BTW, XP is running fine on my box, only had some minor issues with the video driver, but the Nvidia Detonator drivers fixed that wagon real good.

Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#6]
My 2 cents.

I formated and loaded XP for 3 weeks. I finally got pissed off at how slow it was on my system. Formatted my system again and went back to Windows 2000.

I couldn't stand the interface, took me hours to find tools. I couldn't stand how slow my TCPIP stack was. I even tried to tweak the hell out of it. Nothing worked.

Now I admit that my system is a little old and could be upgraded (PIII ~350 Mhz CPU and MB) I have 128 megs of RAM, a 40 gig HD, SB Live. XP was a pig. Windows 2000 is running so much better now.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My 2 cents.

I formated and loaded XP for 3 weeks. I finally got pissed off at how slow it was on my system. Formatted my system again and went back to Windows 2000.

I couldn't stand the interface, took me hours to find tools. I couldn't stand how slow my TCPIP stack was. I even tried to tweak the hell out of it. Nothing worked.

Now I admit that my system is a little old and could be upgraded (PIII ~350 Mhz CPU and MB) I have 128 megs of RAM, a 40 gig HD, SB Live. XP was a pig. Windows 2000 is running so much better now.
View Quote

Biggest thing I did to help this out was kill the darned "System Restore Feature". That thing sucks up so many resources it's not even funny, and it's on by default. Turn it off. It made my PC fly. That is, until the HD crashed like a flaming airliner...not XP's fault tho.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 1:58:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My 2 cents.

View Quote

The reviews I read all stated that xp would run at a snails pace with 128mb RAM.
RAM is sooooo cheap there is no excuse not to install more.
I had problems with win98SE constantly locking up. Every now and then I would get the dreaded "Blue screen of death" So far xp has been much better.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Lockups in 98SE are all attributed to driver conflicts. Make sure you have all the latest drivers for your hardware and all will clear up.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lockups in 98SE are all attributed to driver conflicts. Make sure you have all the latest drivers for your hardware and all will clear up.
View Quote

Yeah, I wish it were that easy.  Having all the updated drivers can't hurt, tho.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top