Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2001 1:47:02 PM EDT
They say they are de-milled, does this mean they cant fire? If they can, where can you get receivers to build these on?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 1:51:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
They say they are de-milled, does this mean they cant fire? If they can, where can you get receivers to build these on?

Thanks!
View Quote

According to ATF regs the guns are subject to cutting of the receivers to make them non-functional. A few years ago, I used to see receiver tubes with the templates attached all of the time at fun shows. At the time I didn't know what the things were, so never bought any. I don't think they are too difficult to build because some nazi high school kids got popped for owning full auto stens they completed themselves.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Several places in SGN sell blank receiver tubes.  I would just be careful that you did not assemble a machine gun.  Not sure how you build one of these things.
View Quote

So would it be legal to get one of those tubes and assemble this kit on it??? Sorry if it's a dumb question.....
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#5]
No, don't even think about assembling one.  The kit + an unfinished receiver tube can/will be thought of as intent to manufacture/possession of an unregistered MG.

It is interesting how the term used is always "unregistered".  That implies that all that is required for legality is registration.  Obviously this can't be done either as the individually transferable MG database was sealed in 1986.

I wouldn't buy one if I was you.  Remember, it's open bolt, so can you imagine how much work you'd have to do to get it into a legal semiautomatic form.  (16 inch barrel,etc,....)
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Anyone else out there dont this or have info on this? I'd like to build a few cuz the kits are very cheap and that mags are also real cheap. I just want to do it legally.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 2:13:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No, don't even think about assembling one.  The kit + an unfinished receiver tube can/will be thought of as intent to manufacture/possession of an unregistered MG.

It is interesting how the term used is always "unregistered".  That implies that all that is required for legality is registration.  Obviously this can't be done either as the individually transferable MG database was sealed in 1986.

I wouldn't buy one if I was you.  Remember, it's open bolt, so can you imagine how much work you'd have to do to get it into a legal semiautomatic form.  (16 inch barrel,etc,....)
View Quote

Well thats a real bitch. It sucks being treated like a criminal, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I would say that it is not legal even if it was only semi auto.  The tubes that you see at gun shows aren't a legal receiver.

On the other hand I did see an ad towards the back of December 1st's issue Shotgun News for semi-auto sten receiver kits.  I believe you build them using the surplus parts kits, the new receiver, and the new parts that make it semi-auto.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#9]
check out this site
http://www.catco.net/eshowcase/listings/52.html
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#10]
CATCo was selling a semi auto parts set and receiver for $300.00 check the new issue of Shotgun News page 200.  It appears that the gun would still be a SBR.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 3:09:17 PM EDT
[#11]
If you get one of the kits, don't even think about trying to assemble it, even for a dummy gun.

There are numerous cases regarding the Sten.  If you make one cut on a Sten receiver you will be charged with conspiracy to manufacture a fully automatic weapon.  People have gone to jail, taken the issue to court, and been found guilty for this.

If you feel like playing with the devil, go ahead and try it.  I just wouldn't ask anyone questions about it or post any messages about what you are doing.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:07:51 PM EDT
[#12]
doesnt the kit itself represent "the collection of parts" so ambiguously referred to in the ATF regs????
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:29:51 PM EDT
[#13]
DvlDog, no.  It's not an illegal collection of parts until you add a (partially or fully machined) receiver.  So the parts kits, by themselves, are fine.z

Link Posted: 12/7/2001 12:48:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
CATCo was selling a semi auto parts set and receiver for $300.00 check the new issue of Shotgun News page 200.  It appears that the gun would still be a SBR.
View Quote

The Catco kits come with a sleeve or barrel shroud that you weld on over the stock barrel to create a legal length barrel (16"). The instructions plainly state that to attach the original length barrel is a violation of federal law.

Catco also sold at one time a new 16" barrel to use with these kits. Haven't seen any around lately though.

Also, the Tapco parts kits are Mark III and the Catco kits are Mark II design.

The Catco kit consists of a new receiver of a smaller inside diameter than the original, so you can't fit the original STEN bolt into it. A new bolt is included. It is of the inertial firing pin design and fires from a closed bolt, as opposed to an open bolt, which would be illegal for the majority of us to own. The barrel extension sleeve and various other parts are included. You would need a surplus MkII kit to complete this weapon. All legal. Even in California.

But if really wanted to, you could put a STEN together with a parts kit, some tubing, a welder and assorted hand tools in your garage.

Cheap and very illegal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top