Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/3/2001 7:52:19 AM EDT
GI Joe Adventure Team!!

Huh..

ARSwami

Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:09:56 AM EDT
[#1]
It would have to be the 5 bags of toy soldiers that I bought for myself from Woolworths. They were nice ones compared to the crappy ones that they sell nowadays. I still have approximately 45 of them that my sons now play with.

I used to throw firecrackers at them to simulate firefights.

Lesson to you younger ones. Never throw out those old toys. Save them for your future kids. If you don't have any kids, sell them on Ebay.

I also had some nice cowboys and indians sets. I threw them away when we moved apts. I saw the same ones on Ebay but I got outbidded.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:27:47 AM EDT
[#2]
never got too many toys, but my favorites were those tiny army men, not like the kind Kin had/has, but the 1cm suckers. the Germans were grey, Afrikakorps were tan, the US and Brits were green. the reason these were preferred, is because they were the same scale as Matchbox cars, so getting tanks, jeeps, artillery and even ships to match was no problem.

we used to set 'em up in the dirt in various strategic defensive positions and take turns shooting them with a bb gun.

another favorite was a plastic mini-M16. detailed to the last at about 1/2 the size, i loved it! i went 5 years, and it never left my side. i don't know, it just seemed....natural.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:31:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Toss up:

- My Star Wars collection
- My Legos
- My Commodore 64
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:31:44 AM EDT
[#4]
my preban (no red tip) toy guns
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:32:24 AM EDT
[#5]
My favorites: GI Joes, Star Wars and a cap gun that looked JUST like a S&W snub-nose. Was blued and everything.

Used to play lawn darts a lot too. Still have a set, bring them out at family functions. Big hit every time. People ask where to get them and I just laugh...

Av.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:42:12 AM EDT
[#6]
My little green army men, 12" GI Joes, Slot Cars, and My toy M-16!

[whacko]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine was a "Johnny Seven", seven guns in one. i could take out any carboard pillbox in the neighborhood. I also liked my "mighty matilda"
rogerb
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:48:20 AM EDT
[#8]
wood, nails, hammer, tree
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:50:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't remember what it was called but it looked like a bazooka and fired a blast of air, or soda cans.  That and my man from U.N.C.L.E. P38 mutant.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:56:08 AM EDT
[#10]
anybody else have a "Ghost gun"?
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:59:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Man Kin, you are right about never throwing things away, for old times sake I took a look on ebay for a johnny seven , 550.00 NIB. It's as much as a new AR !!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1670623045

they have the matilda too, over 200.00,

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1672132892

if I still ahd my toys I'd be rich !!!
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:24:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey Fatty,

I also have the smaller toy soldiers. I think that they were made by a company called airfix.
We bought them from Polks in Midtown. That place was like heaven to me but I could only look as we were poor as kids. I still have them and will bring them out when the kids are a little older. Those soldiers matched up well with the 1/72 scale models. The bigger ones from woolworth matched well with the 1/32 scale models. I transported them around in a Revell Huey.

I'm still looking for a good place to get models as I want to start my kids on them soon.
Looks like Ebay has the most variety but I hate the auction format. They do have some nice toys like the RC tank that fires airsoft pellets or the big scale Tiger tanks selling for over $1,000.

I also had a talking GIJOE. I bought one of those deap sea diving suits for him and put him in the bathtub. He didn't talk after that.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#13]
My family was too poor to buy me toys. My friends and I would make wood swords from lumber scraps and beat each other senseless. That was our fun.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:29:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
wood, nails, hammer, tree
View Quote

Those were Al Gore's favorite toys.  Heck, they are still his favorite toys.

My favorite was a Daisy 760 Powermaster BB gun.  Close second was Lego's and Capsela.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:33:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Razor blades and paint chips.  Screw warning labels.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:38:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Big Wheel...

Tonka Truck

Lincoln Logs....

I was set for years
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Lincoln Logs, Legos, and the little GI Joes they had in the 80's. Then I discovered Dungeons and Dragons in 1981, and it all went to hell. I still have my legos, in the same closet as my newest toy, the Bushie Shorty. :)
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:55:59 AM EDT
[#18]
1. All the toy guns I had, plus all the other garbage I had that went with them to play Army, SWAT/cops n robbers, cowboys and injuns' etc.

2. A small die cast metal model/toy of the the original Batmobile, with a trailered BatBoat. The Batmobile even had rockets that fired out of the launcher on the trunk.

3. All the HESS trucks I got every Christmas. I just wish I still had them now, a few of them are worth $$$. Especially the firetruck one.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Bags and bags of army men and my Daisy BB gun.  I was a sniper before snipers were kewl.  Heh

USMC_LB
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:58:27 AM EDT
[#20]
As a kid?
I'm still not out of my childhood years (In heart, at least)

My first lego set was given to me by my parents at the age of 3.  It was one of the forklift sets from the town series in the early 70s, long before the articulated figures came out.

That was roughly 30 years ago.

.....and I am still collecting lego sets today (half a basement full, right next to the treadlock safe [:D]

The Whistlepig
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Rocks.  Nothing was as much fun as a good rock right.  Having bigger and faster kids throw rocks at me taught me to keep my head down.  That lesson helped me later in the Army.

Also, I had a home-built metal army truck.  I called it an army truck, not because it looks like any truck the army has ever used, but because it was dark green.  It was about three feet(!) long and had eight pairs of rubber wheels salvaged from a stroller.  The windshield was made out of a scrap piece of real glass.  You won't see anything like that today.  The back had a canvas top lashed on with shoe laces.  My parents never let me live-down the day when I loaded-up my truck with everything I owned.  I was going to run away from home, but I wasn't strong enough to push the truck up our front yard to get to the street.  So, I slept on the front porch for a couple of nights.z
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Tonka - dad worked construction (sometimes the real thing)

Lincoln logs - it's why I went to school for architecture.

Suzuki dirtbikes - age 10 75cc, age 13 RM-80cc, age 32 RM250
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#23]
i got to get me a set of lincon logs man i tottaly forgot about those. i used to make little catapultes with em
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#24]
It's a toss up between my legos (early childhood to present), my Yamaha Enduro Dirt Bike (late childhood to pre-teens) or my various computers (early childhood to now, though I didn't own my first one until late teens).

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:56:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Lincon logs, LEGOs, then my .177 RWS pellet rifle, then it became tools, my RC boat, and my .22LR.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#26]
The big bad a$$ ROLLING THUNDER!!!!!

If you don't know this thing was a GI Joe tank/truck thing that had two big a$$ ICBMs in the back and could kick ANYTHINGS butt.

But them there was the fire[:(] I did go to far sometimes.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:00:18 AM EDT
[#27]
[url]www.gijoe.com/rollingthunder[/url]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Fishing rods, camping gear and my .22lr for the stew pot.  I started young in the woods.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#29]
I loved Play-Doh...  Just because my parents always complained about the smell and mess left behind.  [;)]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:22:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Don't remember what it was called but it looked like a bazooka and fired a blast of air, or soda cans.
View Quote

The [b]Sonic Air Blaster[/b].  That thing was great!!  You could rupture an ear drum if you held it too close to someone's head!!  I used to pack mine with dirt, rocks, twigs, etc. and launch them at my "friends."  [:D]

But, personally, my favorite toy was my Mattel M-16 Marauder!!
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:28:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Growing up in the Mojave, my toys were large, angry red ants, toy pistols, army men and the watering hose.

I bombed the ants with dirt clods, and they retaliated with chemical weapons.

Aahhh, the good old days.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#32]
pre ban legos (before the sellout to star wars) and pre ban tonka's (the old-school all steel ones, you could roll tham down a stair case and tehy would do more doamage to the SC than to themselves)

yeah!

OffRoad
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 2:42:26 PM EDT
[#33]
my Transformers collection. and all of the toy guns that i owned. had a whole neighborhood in Laurel MD that played "WAR". complete with water ballon grenades, camo, cap-strips, and squads with HQ's for each team. we went all out. its a shame i dont see any of this with todays kids. probably what we did would be seriously frowned upon now.

...and Hot Wheels [:D]

the Force was with me lib
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Big_Bore: I loved my Rolling Thunder, until my brother broke the damn barrel off the tank turret.  What was that really big ass one, the big brown tank/fortress, basically looked like the Jawa's sand crawler from Star Wars but was for GIJoes?

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 3:52:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Anything with wheels!
GI Joe
Starwars
R/C Cars
Fireworks

My most favorite was the BB Gun my grandmother bought for me for my birthday!

Eventually all my toys would turn into targets for the bb gun and would also come under heavy morter fire from the fireworks.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Legos
Electric car sets
Pellet rifles.

and on a historical note...

I remember many, many times riding my bike over to my friend's house in the late 70's/early 80's(whose house bordered a 40 acre field in back) with one hand on the handlebars and the other on my Daisy pellet rifle.

Try that today in the suburbs of Chicago...

Damn I feel old...
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#37]
>Army men-US (green), Germans (grey), Japs (tan).
>Mattel TommyGun (black/brown), buddy had the camo (green) one, both used roll of caps in the mag. One Christmas...my Grandmother gave me a mortar....had base, tube and legs w/site...used spring to launch plastic rounds (we kicked butt in the neighborhood wargames.)
>American Flyer train set.
>Erector set...for building projects.
>Texaco Fire Truck & Tanker
>and later on after mowing all the yards I could find...I built the Monogram & Airfix model planes...ya know, the 1/48 & 1/72 scale ones.....loved the SBD Dauntless (with the dive flaps) and the British Mosquito....

Ah..yes....and those Sergeant Rock comic books...
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I was a kid in the 80's, so I had GI JOEs, Transformers, Legos, and Tonka trucks that were actually made of metal and not all plastic.  I remember sitting in the back of a Tonka dump truck and being able to ride down hills in it.  Those things were well made back then.  Oh and I was also into model rockets.  That was around middle school though.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Bikes (you know, the kind you had to pedal)
Gilbert Erector set
Tinker Toys
Hot Wheels
A/FX slot cars (no R/C cars back in those days)
Daisy Red Rider
Benjamin .22 pellet rifle
Winchester model 69 I got at age 6
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Daisy Spitt'n Image BB gun... it looked just like dad's 30-30 Winchester.  Dad gave it to me for Christmas when I was five.  I saw one like it LNIB on a gun auction this past year.  It now resides in my gun safe where my son will find it when he's old enough.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Eleftaria: You beat me to it.. The Fanner 50, WAS THE CAP GUN to have..  I also had a toy pump "shotgun" that fired ping pong balls, what a blast!!

Link Posted: 12/3/2001 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#42]
man you guys are or    um  you guys use to be dorks. everyone knows the coolest was a green machine baby oh yeah!!!

i also liked the lite brite. i usually made some kinda anti parent slogan on mine. he he he ha ha
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#43]
ELEFTARIA and RayVet:

Definitely the Mattel Fanner Fifty.

This was the prestige toy of the day. No holster was worth anything unless it had one of these well-balanced, seldom mis-firing (caps), well-finished and detailed weapons. To put it simply, the Fanner Fifty was the best toy gun, ever.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 5:40:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Wheel-O = A stupid wire frame gizmo with a magnet tipped wheel.  Hours and hours of trying to make that thing fall off.

BB Gun.  I NEVER left home without it!
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
pre ban legos (before the sellout to star wars) and pre ban tonka's (the old-school all steel ones, you could roll tham down a stair case and tehy would do more doamage to the SC than to themselves)

yeah!

OffRoad
View Quote

Almost exactly what I was going to say - Holy shit I am agreeing with a canadian.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 5:55:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Wheel-O = A stupid wire frame gizmo with a magnet tipped wheel.  Hours and hours of trying to make that thing fall off.
View Quote

Hey! I had one of those - I forgot about that!
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Whichever one my brother was playing with...  then a few minutes later we'd be playing 'who can rip each other's head off'... and then a few minutes later we'd be in our rooms with nothing to play with.  Memories!! [:D][:D]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#48]
LEGOS!
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:56:30 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm sure this will surprise no one.

[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0LACOThgO5iQrrP4OA0lhBxsxwE7Pl3PEx98iNBd6UrLZywi8R7aY!6z7zj2D0dOJp6zwo*yzkn8/0013.jpg[/img]

The above is a sampling, I wasn't about to pull them all out and set them up. The wife is still new to the family and I don't wanna scare her.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:59:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm sure this will surprise no one.

[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0LACOThgO5iQrrP4OA0lhBxsxwE7Pl3PEx98iNBd6UrLZywi8R7aY!6z7zj2D0dOJp6zwo*yzkn8/0013.jpg[/img]

The above is a sampling, I wasn't about to pull them all out and set them up. The wife is still new to the family and I don't wanna scare her.
View Quote

Dude! Britains!

[bounce]          [50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top