Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2001 4:06:18 PM EDT
I know this was done before but lost the info.
THANKS TO ALL THAT REPLY. [sniper]
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#1]
On the left side of the page, when you open the link below, you'll see the free Zone Alarm download. Enjoy.
[url]http://www.zonelabs.com[/url]
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#2]
[b]eSAFE[/b] is what we use at the factory...  [url]www.esafe.com[/url]
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Zone Alrm has worked great for me, and it even alerted me that I had some spy ware in my puter.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Ditto on Zone Alarm.  Best FREE product out there.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Ditto again . . . I use ZoneAlarm on my servers behind my firewall.  It's called "defense in depth".  Cnet tested a bunch of firewall products and basically said that Zone ALarm (the free version) was better than most of the firewalls you had to pay for - including Black Ice, Norton, and McAffee.  I use it at home, and I have access to some pretty high end products.  Trust me . . . download it and use it - everyone with a persistant internet connection should.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Ballsybottom.....what exactly does your screen name mean?
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 8:15:35 PM EDT
[#9]
M4 . . . use your imagination [:D] Just kidding, in my spare time (when I'm not shooting) I build/repair tube guitar amps - generally PTP Marshall or Fender based.  One of the most important requirements is a BIG BALLSY BOTTOM END.  I used to post under this name (Ballsybottom) on various amp and guitar boards.  Seeing that I already have about 3 million username/password combos to remember, I figured that it would be easier to just use one for all my postings on all my boards.  Of course, if anyone wants to think up a gun friendly meaning, I would be flattered . . .
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#10]
okay, first off, just to enlighten you all, ZONE ALARM SUCKS!

I had the 40 dollar version on my computer, the PRO version. I was hacked TWICE with it running. (don't wanna get into details bout the hacking, but one time it was a "back door trojan") and also, after about 15 days, the firewall seemed to just "stop" working, and it needed a reinstall.   I tried serveral different copies of zone alarm, and have had the same "stop" working results.

I STRONGLY recommend AGAINST it!

However, I do recommend, CONSEAL PC firewall!

It's great! Although it is 40 or 50 dollars, it is well worth the money! It alerts you, when anything comes to your computer, or goes out. it is 100% customizable!

http://consealfirewall.com/

You'll thank me if you ever get, well, try to be hacked!

-GreenLabel lover
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 8:46:35 PM EDT
[#11]
GreenLabel -
ZAP uses digital signing of all apps that pass through the firewall software.  The only way a trojan horse could get through it is if:

A.  You say "yes" when it (the trojan) asked if it could contact the Internet.  This is a no-no . . . if you don't know what it is, don't let it through your firewall (Rule 1 of firewall construction).  If you improperly configure a product, don't blame the product.
. . . or . . .
B.  You were running a hacked version of ZAP that some 13 year old had posted on Crakz_R_us.com.  It is common for script kiddies to embed trojans in programs and then "freely" offer them to people over the web.  Was the copy you installed Digitally Signed with a Microsoft/ZoneLabs private key?  If not, the file was modded.
. . . or . . .
C.  Your OS was already hacked when you installed ZAP.  I guess (from percentages) you're running Win 98 or ME.  Ditch that crap and upgrade to Windows 2000 Pro.  Yeah, I hear the snickering from the Linux/Mac crowd . . . I support MS and Unix and for the average person without computer experience Linux is a non-starter.  Don't even mention Mac's . . . they raise my freakin' blood pressure (ultimate black box OS).  2000 is a fairly secure OS out of the box and they allow you to have local security.

Sorry about the rant, I just hate to see a good product maligned.  I'm sure a great hacker could get past ZAP, but how many of you are going to have data that a GREAT hacker would care to see.  Security = planning + obscurity for the home user.  If you're the chief network security officer for Amazon.com, prayer and fasting would help . . .

GreenLabel - This is not a flame . . . I promise.  I just do this for a living.

Ballsy
MCSE2K, MCT, CISSP, CCNA, and whatever else they tell me I'm in charge of.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#12]
ZoneAlarm in conjunction with a good anti virus program ie, Norton, will stop literally any attack on your system, Norton stops the trojans or other viruses from putting down your firewall, and the firewall keeps out the fishing expeditions. Used them both for some time now on several machines with net access and have had ZERO problems, lots of attempts but no accesses and no virus penetrations. Remember to keep your virus definitions up to date also, very important since there are new ones and variants emerging all the time. [beer]
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 10:29:50 PM EDT
[#13]
No balleys bottum, I did not OK the trojan.

First, I also know what I'm talking about.

Second, It was downloaded from zone labs web site, and paid for.

The trojan was named netbus.svr

The second hack was again with zone alarm pro running, where someone from the www.shooterstalk.com chatrooms found out my name, address, the fact that I have a lan, and god knows what else.

-green
Link Posted: 3/8/2001 1:23:00 AM EDT
[#14]
ballsybottom, what do you use for the mains in the Marshall 100wt? I'm using Mesa Boogie right now. Thanks.

mattja

Link Posted: 3/8/2001 7:07:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Mattja, are you asking voltage or transformer type?  For voltage, it depends on the model.  I've never built anything in the JCM 800-900 family, but I've repaired Superleads and Plexi-Reissues.  Built a PTP Plexi one time, although most of my experience is with Fenders (they are way more plentiful here in VA).  For most EL-34 Marshalls, the best sound occurs at around 490 - 510 volts, as long as you use 10 watt screen grid resistors - otherwise they just sort of melt.  Still, most modern EL-34s (except for Svetlana's) just die at these voltages.  That's why Marshall went to 6550's for a while.  As far as transformer type, I usually order from Hoffman or Clarkparts.  Just remember that 100 watt models have half the reflected impedance of a 50 watt model.  Their price's aren't the best, but I like to support the little guys.  The Plexi Reissue that I built had a paper-interleaved OT out of a Bogen power amp.  Wow!  Kick ass tone for days.  Still prefer the Fenders for my style though, got a Yamaha DG-Stomp for the metal stuff.  Boogies rock, but a hate working on PCB stuff . . . almost got killed with a stupid Peavey Triumph 60 (490 volts - ZOWWEEE!! Woke up in the floor).  Want to buy a Studio Pre-amp?  200$ shipped - darn thing sounds great - or will trade for an SAR-2 . . .

GreenLabel- Once again, no flame intended.  I'm just at a loss as how a hacker got in.  Netbus is a very common backdoor trojan, my guess is it was there before you put ZAP on your box (or it was in an email attachment).  A good free anivirus is AVG [url] www.grisoft.com [/url].  Its not the best, but for free it kicks butt.  As far as your personal information, that could have been out of a cookie stored in your web browser.  I'm not sure how the guy got it, but if your Internet and local security levels are set high (see USPC40's post), this would be exceedingly difficult to do.  Why can't we all just get along (sniff . . sniff) Mwahhahahahahaha . . . by the way, wouldn't you love to smack Rodney King in the head with a nightstick? I would stand in line for that opportunity.

Once again, sorry about the long post . . . but hey, it's fun!

If you're interested in the Studio Pre, email me at [email protected].  I'll give ya the lowdown.

Ballsy
Link Posted: 3/8/2001 11:38:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Ballyes.. again.. I do not know how it got in either. I was running zone alarm for about 2 months before it started (a lil ms dos screen would pop up in the begining, everytime i rebooted my computer. It then generated a file named KEYHOOK.DLL and sent it to an outside destination. Zonealarm was running all the time..

I have McAfee's latest anti virus, and that removed it. (got it for 30 bucks, with a 20 dollar mail in rebate :)
Link Posted: 3/8/2001 11:39:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Ballyes.. again.. I do not know how it got in either. I was running zone alarm for about 2 months before it started (a lil ms dos screen would pop up in the begining, everytime i rebooted my computer. It then generated a file named KEYHOOK.DLL and sent it to an outside destination. Zonealarm was running all the time..

and yes, it was set to "high" security...

I have McAfee's latest anti virus, and that removed it. (got it for 30 bucks, with a 20 dollar mail in rebate :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top