Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2001 12:59:43 PM EDT
Walked into Big-5 in Pomona today, in order to get my firearms "fix", which consists of seeing which old surplus rifles are flooding the country at the moment.

Looked behind the counter and there it was-- a $69  Turkish Mauser with a long barrel, perfect!  Resistance melted rapidly away as I looked at my wallet and the rifle.  The barrel actually looked pretty bright and sharp, with a good crown, stamped 1942 on the rings.

For balance, it seemed almost as nice as my Swedish Mauser...Sold!

Paid the $69, plus the $15 DROS fee (a tax?) and kept waiting for the guy to hand it to me (it's a curio, right?).

Wrong. The fricken liberal gun-banners have slapped a 10 day cooling off period on me.

Where did the cooling off period come from?  California's Liberal Terrorist Front?

(Wow, have I ever been out-of-the-loop on firearms purchasing law lately.)

Where's all the El Cheapo 8mm Mauser at in So. Cal?  Turners?

--------
Make mine a Swedish Blonde with a Mauser.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 1:20:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:...Where did the cooling off period come from?  California's Liberal Terrorist Front?
View Quote

No, it was brought to you by your friends at

[size=6]THE CALIBAN![/size=6]

BTW don't pass up the deal Big 5 has on the Romanian Model 1969 .22 bolt-action rifles.  They are SWEET especially at $69 (plus tax and DROS and about $13 for a spare magazine)!
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 2:02:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Go back to the store and say...

[b]"Ten days? But I'm mad now!!"[/b]

(sorry just kidding...just trying to put a little humor into an otherwise shitty situation)

Link Posted: 11/30/2001 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#3]
doesnt a c&r licsence exempt you from a wait on c&r arms in california? if so i suggest u get one since c&r seems to be your thing
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 2:23:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Aw, man, you're supposed to tell them you'd get it if it was at the sale price ($49 or $59) instead and save yourself a little $.  Usually they'll do that for you.  At least, they did for me when I got my turk.  Wood was pretty beat up but the barrel, bolt, receiver were all good condition.  Fun.  1.5" group @50yards after cleaning it out.  various places on the net have the 70rnds for $4 deal check around.  Of course that's corrosive, but it's darn cheap.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, guys, I saw the .22 on sale.  If I didn't already have the Hundred dollar Chinese version (Norinco's JW-22) I would have snapped one up.

The manager looked at my drivers licence and said, "Ridgecrest, hmmmm,  that's in Los Angeles County, right?" [:P]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 9:58:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't they realize that it will take at least that long to find ammo for it so there is no way you could shoot it . LOL
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 1:12:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 5:49:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't quote me on this, but I think the C&R applies to interstate commerce, not intrastate. So, you can use it to order a C&R rifle from out of state for immediate shipment to your home, but you have to abide by the waiting period if you buy it within CA. And, of course, all handguns have to be DROS'd, regardless of C&R status. And in CA, C&R means BATF C&R status and 50 years old. It isn't enough that the BATF says it's a C&R.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 6:09:25 AM EDT
[#9]
California recognizes the BATF C&R rules.  This include firearms less than 50 years old.  The catch is that they will only allow you to receive rifles and shotguns from out of state that are over 50 years old.  In order to get out of the waiting period for C&R firearms you need a certificate of eligibility from the Cal DOJ.  I have one but, in retrospect, it is not really worth it to me.  The first year cost was $75.00 and $13.00 a year to renew.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 11:39:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 12:04:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I would feel a lot safer in this state if there
*was* an easy availability of surplus boltactions.

"7.92x57mm ? Nobody needs a rifle chambered for such a powerful machinegun cartridge. Wouldn't you rather have a nice 5.56 instead?"

In the land of the Caliban, Feinstein and Barbara (check)Bouncer should be wearing burkhas.

-------
I asked the manager selling me the rifle, "Is it headspaced?"

"What is headspace," he asked.

I started getting that old, worried feeling I used to get buying turnbolts at Fed Ord.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#13]

A 30 day cooling off period coming to store near you... when will it end?  60 days?  90?[rolleyes]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top