Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2001 10:50:06 AM EDT
heard on Rush today...

FoxNews Laurie Dhue was interviewing Geraldo by phone about the report that many of the journalits are now carrying guns over in Afghanistan.

Geraldos response was that he "was not gonna be a victim. he was not gonna be murdered or killed, it was gonna be a gun fight."

Dhue pressed him if HE was carrying a gun, and he basically refused to SAY "yes" but it was obvious he MEANT "yes."

As I recall, Geraldo is pretty staunchly anti-gun.

Seems he got a dose of reality. Unfortunately, i'm quite sure he STILL beleives that **** he *****  is important enuf to society to carry a gun, but that I am not that important to society. Just like DiFido.

Link Posted: 11/30/2001 10:54:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I saw that interview last night, and yeah, he looked really uncomfortable when she asked him that question... and she asked it a couple times.

Now Laurie seemed to get immense pleasure out of putting him on the spot like that.  And her smile got larger each time she asked him if he was carrying - so you know she was enjoying the idea that he was sweating the answer to that...

Hmmmm, Laurie Dhue....nice, er, eyes [:)]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 11:00:14 AM EDT
[#2]
With any luck that Scumbag will get his while over there! Hope he stay's there forever!
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 11:05:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I never thought I'd defend Geraldo (I've always thought he's scum) but listen to this:

I don't think it's hypocritical for anti-gun journalists to be packing in Afghanistan.  Why?  Because you can make a rational argument against gun ownership in a civilized country like the US.  However, being anti-gun in a place like freaking Afghanistan where journalists are fair game for murder, is completely irrational.  

Conversely, if I lived in Japan, I would have no problem with them prohibiting me from carrying/owning a gun.  You just don't need one there, because it's super-safe.  No criminals have guns in Japan except for the mafia.  However, I resent gun restrictions in the US because I know so many violent criminals have easy access to guns, and I want to be able to protect myself.

See my point?
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I don't think it's hypocritical for anti-gun journalists to be packing in Afghanistan.  Why?  Because you can make a rational argument against gun ownership in a civilized country like the US.  However, being anti-gun in a place like freaking Afghanistan where journalists are fair game for murder, is completely irrational.  

See my point?
View Quote

Yeah, but smoke this over....

Their WHOLE ARGUMENT for wanting more gun control in THIS country is that "its like a war zone over here. Too many guns...too easy access to guns."

yet when they get to an ACTUAL war zone, they take up arms.

Stated another way, they are trying to make it difficult for us peasants to purchase firearms in what they keep saying over and over and over is a violent, gun culture here in America, but when tehy get to a TRUE gun culture (a REAL war zone) their FIRST response is to go get a gun. Its just another illustration of the elitists arrogant, self-important midset.

They are trying to play it both ways. America needs gun control because there are too many guns, but when they get to an actual situation where there ARE alot of guns, they pick up a gun.

That's hypocritical, IMO.

Whadda ya say????
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 11:10:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Raven,,,

Please don't take this as a flame but I would love to hear your rational argument against gun ownership here in the US and please reference the 2nd Amendment when you do.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#6]
How can anyone say that the only reason you would need a gun is for protection, or fear of your life?  Such a person either posesses no knowledge of why the 2nd Amendment was written, or else is just a paranoid liberal.

Darts however should be banned as there is no legitimate reason for owning them. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 11:20:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I never thought I'd defend Geraldo (I've always thought he's scum) but listen to this:

Conversely, if I lived in Japan, I would have no problem with them prohibiting me from carrying/owning a gun.  You just don't need one there, because it's super-safe.  No criminals have guns in Japan except for the mafia.  However, I resent gun restrictions in the US because I know so many violent criminals have easy access to guns, and I want to be able to protect myself.

See my point?
View Quote
I think it is hypocritical as hell.  He is using the same words we use here and sounds like one of us after slamming us for having that attitude.

As for Japan, dude, they have a higher per capita murder rate than we do BECAUSE only the bad guys have guns, you know, like NYC, Chicago, Jersey, LA.  Many of the murders may not be with guns, such as the asshole who killed several school children with a knife, but the gun laws there make the average law abiding citizen defenselesss.  Sound familiar?

You sound like the anti's with "criminals have easy access to guns".  No, we do not need restrictions except those based on youth, violent criminal background, or mental instability.

I right now am working in a country where guns are illegal (Grenada) and ,guess what, the bad guys have guns and everyone else doesn't.  I don't like not being able to have my guns one DAMN bit.  Their gun laws here pretty much mirror Japan's, and you may not have a problem with them restricting your ability to defend yourself, but I sure as hell do.  And NO, you can't make a RATIONAL argument against gun ownership in the U.S. unless you are an anti-gunner and you only THINK you are being rational when you really aren't.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 11:20:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Raven,
No I don't see your point and very few on this board will either.  I live in a State with a very low crime rate and part of the reason for that is the high gun ownership ratio.  Also, it is my opinion that YOU and only you are responsible for your safety.  Wandering around unarmed in a polite society of gentle sheeple doesn't prepare you for the onset of the real world when the wolf comes to visit.

And in my almost twenty years of police work I've had to go and try to right wrongs (usually we just get to write reports) were the flock got a dose of reality.

Chaps me too that the first thing anyone does after one of these UN/US/ feel good hotspot cleanups is disarm the populace.  

[soapbox] mode: OFF

Who switched my Decaff with HiTest?

Link Posted: 11/30/2001 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Look you guys, what I mean is that a lot of anti-gun people assume their position because they would like to see a society without guns.  That desire, to me, is a rational ideal.

But this ideal, imposed on the real world, causes more problems than it solves.

Now Japan is not the US, and Grenada is not Japan.  But Japan has the closest realization of a gun-free society that I can think of, and if it were POSSIBLE to create those conditions here in the US where no civilian has any guns without attendent negative consequences (like a tyrranical government), and no one can obtain them, I would be all for it.

I am not so in love with guns for their own sake that I'd prefer to go with gun ownership and the attendent murder rates than have a free society with a nil gun murder rate.

IMO, if you had a choice of those two hypothetical societies and went with the gun n' murder one when you could have the no gun, low murder one, that's irrational.  It just shows what a gun nut you are [;)]

HOWEVER:  I REALIZE GUN CONTROL THE WAY JAPAN HAS IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO ATTAIN IN THE US, so I'd prefer to have fewer gun restrictions for normal people to defend themselves with.

And BTW, Japan DOES NOT have a higher per-capita murder rate than we do.  That is just not true.  They have a higher per-capita suicide rate.  As does Sweden.  

Link Posted: 11/30/2001 11:56:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Raven:
Go move to Japan, and then please take your own life. Now!
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Raven:
View Quote

They don't like immigrants.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Look you guys, what I mean is that a lot of anti-gun people assume their position because they would like to see a society without guns.  That desire, to me, is a rational ideal.
View Quote

Ok, I used to think even as a gunowner, what if they had never been invented? What if there were no guns, it'd be so peaceful, WRONG! the strong always prey on the weak, a gun tends to equalize things. The weak today (in the armed criminal's mind) are those w/o guns. Truth is, IF they had never been invented I'd imagine most of us here would do just fine with ball-bats and knives against ball-bat/knife-armed aggressors. But why equal things with those with evil intentions? Have the upper hand. What about my grandmother? she's 4'11" and 90 pounds, if she had a ball-bat how would she do against a 220 pound attackerdude with a ball-bat?
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don't think it's hypocritical for anti-gun journalists to be packing in Afghanistan.  Why?  Because you can make a rational argument against gun ownership in a civilized country like the US.  
View Quote

Rational? Perhaps, but not a useful argument. Simply because a civilized country does not equate to a [i]free[/i] country. The Founders knew this - themselves having rebelled against a civilized country to form a [i]free[/i]one.

"Conversely, if I lived in Japan, I would have no problem with them prohibiting me from carrying/owning a gun.
View Quote

That's because your preferences and objections have no standing in a foreign nation. You're not Japanese.

You just don't need one there, because it's super-safe.  No criminals have guns in Japan except for the mafia.  However, I resent gun restrictions in the US because I know so many violent criminals have easy access to guns, and I want to be able to protect myself.

See my point?
View Quote

Nope. Folks like you will lead to the disarming of this nation. Once someone offers you a "reasonable" degree of security (like you observed in Japan,) you'll turn in your guns. You've all but said so.

The philosophy of an armed citizenry has less to do with utility in thwarting day-to-day crime (though that is very important) and more with being a hedge against government tyranny.

Reread the Federalist Papers.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Raven:
View Quote

They don't like immigrants.
View Quote

Perhaps Japan's immigration policies have more to do with the low crime rate there than the gun laws do.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 12:40:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Raven, you seem to believe that the presence of guns caused a crime wave in America that can be turned back only by a total disarmament.  There are BILLIONS of examples as to why this is not true, none of which are at my fingertips.  Does crime happen in the absence of guns?  Yes, therefore guns are not indicative of the violence of a society at all.  
Besides the fact that draconian gun control doesn't work, I believe that there are legimate reasons to own even in a utopian society.

Target shooting is fun.  Hunting is fun.  Collecting is fun.  Reloading is fun.  Hobbies are fun.  If this would ever goes utopian (which it won't) I would continue to own and use guns for sheer enjoyment and in a celebration of human freedom.

Besides, who gets to choose what Utopia will be like?   Hmmmmmm, that is a toughie!
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 12:59:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Can we get a LEGP contract on Geraldo?  I bet any Afghan woud take him out for a few granola bars.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Raven...you have got to be kidding me.  

The most important aspect of gun ownership is not to protect ourselves against violent criminals (although that is a very important reason to have them).  It is to have some sort of power vs the Gov't and they are a symbol of independence and freedom.  

"No free man shall be barred the use of arms" T.J.  

uh.......You're a bitch!
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 4:00:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Maybe him and rosie o'donut should hook up...
Dam hypocrits
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Give Geraldo a break...
He has finally seen the light. Maybe he can do us some good.
View Quote

Maybe he'll come home and join the NRA!!!!
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 7:46:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm going to paraphrase someone else's (better worded) statement about that "ideal":  The last time there were no guns in society, society was run by a few large men with swords.

Not such an "ideal" condition, was it?
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 8:17:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
And BTW, Japan DOES NOT have a higher per-capita murder rate than we do.  That is just not true.  They have a higher per-capita suicide rate.  As does Sweden.
View Quote
Yes they do.  Several studies have shown them as well as England and Australia to all have higher per capita murder rates than the U.S. and they all have extremely tight gun control.  It just is true, whether you like it or not and whether you believe it or not.  Most anti-gunners don't want to believe this.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#22]
From [url]http:www.guntruths.com[/url] :

"In Japan, the United Nations reports the murder rate is about 1 per 100,000. In the U.S., there are about 3.2 murders per 100,000 people each year by weapons other than firearms."
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#23]
The US murder rate is 6.3 per 100,000, the stat you posted is for murders with weapons other than firearms. I wonder what the assualt rifle (i know) murder rate is...... I'm thinking low, very low.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#24]
"Imagine a society in which guns had never been invented."

"EGADS! A thought so ugly as to cause fear."

Go and take a look at the Bayeux Tapestry.  Not such an ideal situation.  All I remember is seeing lots of severed limbs and heads, plus many bodies studded with arrows.

The "bodies covered with arrows" thing in the tapestry gibes with actual pictures and paintings of the American Wild West.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 1:43:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I saw that interview last night, and yeah, he looked really uncomfortable when she asked him that question... and she asked it a couple times.

Now Laurie seemed to get immense pleasure out of putting him on the spot like that.  And her smile got larger each time she asked him if he was carrying - so you know she was enjoying the idea that he was sweating the answer to that...

Hmmmm, Laurie Dhue....nice, er, eyes [:)]
View Quote

Nice eyes....great lips!!  All the better to wrap them around my....
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 2:01:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
From [url]http:www.guntruths.com[/url] :

"In Japan, the United Nations reports the murder rate is about 1 per 100,000. In the U.S., there are about 3.2 murders per 100,000 people each year by weapons other than firearms."
View Quote
"this page cannot be displayed"  Sounds real reputable to me.  

You are quoting a freaking UN report.  They do have an anti-gun agenda and, like all the rest of the anti-gun groups, will distort the facts to suit their needs.  There have been 5 to 7 other studies that say otherwise.

There sure seems to be a lot of rhetoric in this thread that sounds like anti-gunners.

you can make a rational argument against gun ownership in a civilized country like the US.
View Quote

violent criminals have easy access to guns
View Quote

Conversely, if I lived in Japan, I would have no problem with them prohibiting me from carrying/owning a gun. You just don't need one there, because it's super-safe. No criminals have guns in Japan except for the mafia
View Quote
So, it's okay for the bad guys to have one, but you don't need one?
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 7:08:56 PM EDT
[#27]
He's only quoting the UN to jerk your chain-- could *not* be serious.

--------
"Shoot it like you have no opposable thumbs."
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 8:50:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 9:38:00 PM EDT
[#29]
That would be [url]www.guntruths.com[/url]...
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 11:38:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Japan is not super safe, do a search on crime, kind of like Britain, they just don't want you to know.

I say let him go w/o, he doesn't like them hear he should not like them there or anywhere, not in a boat, on a moat with green eggs and ham or around the Taliban, said Sam I am.

Liberal pri*k
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top