Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2001 7:32:44 PM EDT
Show of hands....who's looking forward to it?

I will be in Atlanta for an interview that day, but I also took the following day off just to see the movie. Much like I took a vaca day to watch Phantom Menace, and will do so again when the next edition come out.

[url]http://lordoftherings.net/index.html[/url]

Link Posted: 11/27/2001 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I am gonna go see it.  I read the trilogy in jr. high.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 7:36:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm....I play puter games. I like D&D stuff. yup I'm a nerd.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 7:43:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm so there. ;)

The Hobbit was the first book I was allowed to read on my own.  At the private school I was attending, we were required to read three books per week.  After having to read St. Augustine, Sophocles, Voltaire, Cervantes, etc., reading Tolkien was such a pleasure.  I read it twice in one week.  I've read it outloud to all 16 of my great-nieces and -nephews.  For many of the parts, I don't even need the book.  Yes, I will be there.z
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:20:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm definatly going to see it.  I've been a huge Tolkien and fantasy fan since I was a kid.  Yes, I too used to play D&D as well as a few other role playing games.  Ah, youth!

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#8]
this movie and Blackhawk down are two films i cant wait to see. D&D has largely been influenced by tolkiens works. i continue to play D&D with a pretty funny group every now and then. i know they will all see it too. espicially since two of my fellow gamers work at a theatre; one a manager=free movie pass [:D]

most D&D players are nerds. alot of them in the military with high asvab and sat scores.

go Forgotten Realms lib
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 10:08:43 PM EDT
[#9]
The Hobbit was the first substantial book I read at age 9. I was immediatlely hooked on reading and read all the books soon after. I think reading a book like that at an early age really stimulates your imagination as a kid.

The only other books I have found close to Tolkien is the Iron Tower Trilogy and the Silver Call Duology by Dennis L. McKiernan (an Electrical Engineer).

I guess I'm a heavily armed semi quasi nerd.

No Slack!
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 10:08:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 10:14:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey Garry,
Read any good books lately? EVER??
Those of us who are students of the literary
genius of J.R.R. Tolkien are just hoping the film does'nt suck so bad compared to the trilogy
that we have to drop the actors into a lime-filled hole.

One ring to rule them all,
One ring to find them....
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 4:59:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Me.

Because I like to read...[thinking]

And shoot...[50]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 5:07:26 AM EDT
[#13]
can't wait...

oh, and i'm not smart enough to be a nerd!
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 5:14:42 AM EDT
[#14]
There are wizards and magic in it.  You're all going to hell.

See you there.

Three rings for the Elven kings under the sky...
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 5:19:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Does anyone know where I can find a copy of "Lord of the Rings", that's written in Klingon?
...dorks.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 10:00:51 AM EDT
[#16]
"i cast a spell"
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Loved the trilogy! Great writing. Anxious to see the movie though I won't take the day off work. That's something my sisters would do. I'm too poor to skip work, though I take breaks to log on here and see what's up! [:)]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 10:20:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm still listening to it on tape while I commute.  I'm halfway through the second "book" now.  Thankfully, there is much less singing and Tom Bombadill has not made a encore appearance.  Nontheless, I still don't see why this stuff has the rabid cult following that it does.  [b]If[/b] I go see the movie it will be either at a matinee or a 2nd run theater.  Too much of the story is just about the characters in transit from one event to the next, or descriptions of the characters at one feast or another, or characters talking portentiously about Sauron or Saruman (bad choice, btw, to give the villains such similar names).  Actual events themselves tend to occur offstage or are described only in general terms.  Gandalf's battle with the balrog, for example, or any of the clashes with orcs so far.  I guess I am more of a fan of action than of atmosphere.  Tolkein did do a great deal of work developing the whole world, complete with a history and languages, but the story he tells us in it is pretty flat.  I'll take Robert E. Howard or Edgar Rice Buroughs over Tolkein any day.  The worlds that Conan, Bran Mak Morn, Tarzan, and John Carter inhabit may not be so completely imagined as that of Dildo Bugger (yes, I've read "Bored of the Rings")but the stories move along more briskly and are completely Bombadill-free.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 11:27:17 AM EDT
[#20]
i doubt that the movie will even hold a candle to the original, animated version. the violence was so pure, so grotesque, that i don't see how they even marketed it to children! the battles against the orc armies were epic and bloody, also the battle between Gandalf and Balrog was pretty disturbing.

if anyone is a fan of Tolkein's writing, you MUST check out the animated movie first ~ from what i could tell, the exact camera angles and scenes were simply redone in the film version.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 11:33:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Been waiting for this for 20 years.  I'll be there for sure.  The wife just finished the trilogy a month ago. After she read Harry Potter I pulled out LOTR and said if she liked Harry Potter, she would love Tolkein.  I was right.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 11:49:28 AM EDT
[#22]
I will probably see it on opening day. Hell, it couldnt be any worse than that D&D movie they had out a year or two ago...hehehe
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Yup, I'll be seeing it. But I have to wonder how much of the story they can squeeze into a 2-2 1/2 hour movie. And what's with "the elf Arwen". Isn't that Elrond's daughter, whom Aragorn marries? The way it sounds in the trailers, her part will be enlarged in the movie.

Who's older: Tom Bombadill(sp) or Treebeard?
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Now wait just a sec...

Lets see here.  I have read LOTR 4 or 5 times.  I read the hobbit to my kids and my 11 year old is working on Fellowship as I type this.

Warning:  THERE IS MAGIC IN THEM!!
         THERE IS GOOD AND EVIL!!

Come on lets get this movie BANNED!!

Shameless Devil worship.

Just like HARRY POTTER!!

LOL

Link Posted: 11/28/2001 12:44:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Told my wife that I couldn't wait to see it.  Now she thinks I'm crazy.  Read the Hobbit and the trilogy in high school (still have the same books) and remember most of it.  Can't wait.  Probably take the kids, too.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
"i cast a spell"
View Quote

You can't!!! You don't have enough mana points. You take a hit +5 [;D]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Does anyone know where I can find a copy of "Lord of the Rings", that's written in Klingon?
...dorks.
View Quote

hahaha. a nerd and a dork are two different things. a nerd is smart and a dork is a goofy bastard. over half the people i play D&D with are either married, have girlfreinds or either have or presently serve in our armed forces. (Army, Airforce, and Marines)

if your going to pick on the Society of Creative Acronyms (SCA for short) just because they joust and have sword duels, then you will have to pick on paintballers too.

i will admitt though that "Trekkies" are a whole 'nother breed.

[:D][:D]yes; i can translate that Dwarven into english for you.

Link Posted: 11/28/2001 2:55:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I used to work with a lady who was a part of "Starfleet". yes this is an actual organization with members all over the US. they would dress up in starfleet uniforms and everything. the only thing i ever heard of them doing physically is car washes for chairty.

at least with the SCA you can have fun and beat the crap out of somebody. go medievil on them [:D]

Link Posted: 11/28/2001 3:10:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't know about these production values.  Pret-ty cheesy.
[img]http://www.hometheaterforum.com/sneak/lord/lord4.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 3:32:53 PM EDT
[#31]

If I camp out overnight waiting, will my gandalf costume get soggy?

Link Posted: 11/28/2001 4:37:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Oh brother, do I have to admit to going to Trek conventions too?  [:D]
View Quote

Holy Sh!t DVD, I've think you've opened up to us a little TOO much in this post.

Actually nerd that I am, I am taking the 19th off work to go see it opening day with my bro and a couple friends.  Did this with Episode 1 as well (f'in Jar Jar).

DVD, even though we have about five new theaters in the area, I highly recommend going to the Orinda theater for any big opening if it is showing there.  Great theater and little crowd.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#33]
At first, I thought it was gonna suck.  Well, I've watched the trailer a few times online and I think I'm gonna go see it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 5:37:22 PM EDT
[#34]
I am going to be there. Been playing D&D since 3rd grade.

I even have a special womenz that I am going to see the movie with (sorry Waverunner [;)]).

Tyler
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#35]
It does sound like it would be cool to take off Wednesday and see it. Out of vacation, but could still "develop" a nasty bug that day.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 7:52:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I definitely HAVE to see it!  I've read the books about 3 times.  I'm very interested in seeing the artists' interpretations of Middle Earth and its inhabitants.  

Uh-oh...  Did I just label myself a dork?
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 8:43:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I definitely HAVE to see it!  I've read the books about 3 times.  I'm very interested in seeing the artists' interpretations of Middle Earth and its inhabitants.  

Uh-oh...  Did I just label myself a dork?
View Quote

no dude, your not a dork. if anybody calls you one on this board; just ask them if they have ever been excited about an action film with guns. like "Blackhawk Down" or "Band of Brothers". you know if they have read the books to the afore films then they wear pocket protectors and BCG's.[;)]

gun and sword; what an excellent combination-lib
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 1:59:09 AM EDT
[#38]
LORDTRADER -
 me and some systems engineer co-workers (nerds) are having a LOTR movie/bar crawl in the north atlanta burbs. consider yourself invited.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top