Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 12:08:07 PM EDT
Interesting rifle, but I really don't know a whole lot about it.  I'm seriously considering getting one to pack in with my personal survival kit.  Anyone have one?  What is the general opinion on them?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:15:16 PM EDT
[#1]
OLD JIMBO

Hard to find anymore.

ETA: I have an old one in 22MAG / .410. It's a bit clunky IMHO and I'd rather have a pistol in a survival pack. If I needed a .22 for TEOTWAWKI I'd pick a Marlin 70 Papoose.

I heard at one time that CZ was going to start making and selling them again, but it hasn't happened yet.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I had one, sold it on gunbroker a few years ago.

Wish I would have kept it.

Had the 22lr one.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I got one.  The .22 upper patterns like the .410 shotgun lower, and the .410 can be stout in recoil, but it's a fun little gun.  I took off the lawyered-up trigger guard because it just get in the way.

Can the chamber be lengthened to .22 Magnum?

And DO NOT DRY FIRE the .22 upper.  The one I got was a display gun, and it was dry fired so much that the breech was dented enough that I could not chamber a round.  Had to send it back to Springfield for repair.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I got one.  The .22 upper patterns like the .410 shotgun lower, and the .410 can be stout in recoil, but it's a fun little gun.  I took off the lawyered-up trigger guard because it just get in the way.

Can the chamber be lengthened to .22 Magnum?

And DO NOT DRY FIRE the .22 upper.  The one I got was a display gun, and it was dry fired so much that the breech was dented enough that I could not chamber a round.  Had to send it back to Springfield for repair.

That is true for all 22lr firearms, from what I have heard.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#5]
You should talk the USAF into getting you one.

I'm guessing with GPS and satellite rescue radios the days of having to forage for game are over for downed pilots.

Neat concept. The original ones were 14 inch barrels. Springfield Armory (Inc.)  sold them for a while. They were made in Eastern Europe somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I'm guessing with GPS and satellite rescue radios the days of having to forage for game are over for downed pilots.

Neat concept. The original ones were 14 inch barrels. Springfield Armory (Inc.)  sold them for a while. They were made in Eastern Europe somewhere.

Czech Republic

www.oldjimbo.com/survival/v-shrake/m6-3.jpg
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:45:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I got to shoot an original USAF one. Made by Ithaca IIRC. Nice little piece, .22 Hornet over .410. The rifle barrel shot very well. The muzzle blast of a 14 inch .410 barrel was interesting, to say the least. Both bores were chrome lined. If I could have found a way to legally own it, I would have...

As to the Springfield Armory ones, meh. Not even close.

G
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:55:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Got one and love it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I had one in .22 hornet/.410, one of the many guns I wish I had not gotten rid of

I bought it new for $75 from the shop I worked at the time, I sold it for $250 and regret it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:05:53 PM EDT
[#10]
i have one and love it. it has a compartment in the stock that hold five 410 shot shells and 15 22lr rounds.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You're probably right, but it would REALLY suck to be That Guy who proves that statement wrong.  There have been a lot of "The days of _______ are over" type statements that have proven to be premature in the past.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top